Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 16:05   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I agree with Sumeethaldankar!
Live and let live!
after all, it s all very well to crib and whinge now about the poor old 800. But lets not forget conveniently that for a whole generation of us, those who were born in the 1970's and even early 1980's, this was the "first car" we ever owned!
The 800 may pale into insignificance in comparison to the snazzy new vehicles available now, but when it was launched in 1984, it was at that time, a snazzy, fantastic, well -put-together vehicle. It truly put India's people on wheels, more than any other car before it!
Even today, except perhaps to an extent in the high income earning urban sort of areas, the vast majority of our people are of a "value seeking" bent of mind and for them the Maruti 800 is the perfect choice.
It has proven itself to be a versatile vehicle, trouble free, low on maintenance, inexpensive to buy, own and run and in short, makes perfect sense.
And indeed, whatever all of us may say on this forum or elsewhere, no company with a grain of sense, is simply going to kill off its golden goose just like that.
Do some maths and you will see that Maruti is a pure profit game for them, 24 years later - fully depreciated everything including dies and moulds etc etc etc. The Royalty they must be paying Suzuki will be an almost negligible part of the vehicle cost. Each car they sell, brings them years of maintenance, parts and labour revenue.
As a business it just doesnt make sense to kill a product that is providing the company with its bread and a sizeable chunk of butter as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Just reading about all the people saying stuff like the 800 should be dead or about kill the 800 is making sick.Look this is India, here people still buy
Ambassadors.Why dont you crib about Hindustan Motor's still making them in India.That thing's probably more than 50 years old and people still buy them.
In this country you don't just throw away stuff just because it's old and not contemporary.Nobody's got a gun to your head saying you have to buy a 800,you don't like it fine ,just leave it alone.Somebody else will like it.
I think the 800 still sell's well in the rural areas where your beloved so called modern cars are not very common.That's probably people want everything tried and trusted when it comes to something like cars,simply because not everyone can afford to change cars every 2-3 years like
some of the rich ,spolit and arrogant people whining about what should be done the car which put India on wheels.
Old 30th July 2008, 16:09   #77
Senior - BHPian

nobody calls the Ford Model T or the VW beetle trash - they should be if we applied the reasons why the 800 is being called trash here to them .
Old 30th July 2008, 16:35   #78
BHPian

Cant agree more with you shankar.
Infact you have covered points which none have touched before.

No company is here to do charity.
If they are selling what people demand then why criticize them.
They all need business and if i am not wrong m800 should still be amongst the top 5 in the most sold cars even today.

Let the buyers decide if they want to buy it and when they dont M800 too will fade away though it will remain in the Hall of fame for being the pioneer in the indian auto industry.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Do some maths and you will see that Maruti is a pure profit game for them, 24 years later - fully depreciated everything including dies and moulds etc etc etc. The Royalty they must be paying Suzuki will be an almost negligible part of the vehicle cost. Each car they sell, brings them years of maintenance, parts and labour revenue.
As a business it just doesnt make sense to kill a product that is providing the company with its bread and a sizeable chunk of butter as well!
Shankar, some nice points.

I would put it this way: As long as the customer demands even one Maruti 800, they will produce. If the demand of Maruti 800 is 0 units, then and then only they will stop and retire this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
They all need business and if i am not wrong m800 should still be amongst the top 5 in the most sold cars even today.
No its not in top 5, but its surely in top 10.
If we combine the sales of Omni and Maruti 800, then its top 5.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:47   #80
BHPian

Will Maruti reduce the price of 800 due to launch of Nano"The peoples Car"?

Hi All,
Will Maruti reduce the price of Maruti 800 due to launch of Nano"The peoples Car" in This year sometime?
If yes to what extent?as i am planning to buy one new maruti 800 for my dad this year.
My personal input would be that it might reduce the price to stay in the market at top position for sales in small car segment.
"I LOVE MARUTI 800"
BHPians plz give ur valuable input sand pointers...

Thanks
msvg

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th March 2009 at 17:48. Reason: already discussed in thread, use search please
Old 5th March 2009, 09:45   #81
BHPian

Another M800 ? Not again, atleast they should change the Badge M800...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks