Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

What type of Owners do people prefer buying an old car from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Glance through any auto classifieds over the years, chances are you will see a couple of ads proudly proclaiming "Parsi owned". Chances also are the car will command a premium in the market.
Some other usual proclaimations; don't know whether they result in a premium or not:
  1. DOCTOR OWNED
  2. ARMY OFFICER OWNED
  3. LADY OWNED
An interesting thread, Karl.

A slightly off-topic query from you: How does the community view Tata cars? Any soft corner or special liking for them?

How one wishes all minority communities in this country were like Parsis!
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting thread. I've known and wonderd about the same long back.

@DI saab: Salam, but the doctor owned is so wrong. As ScarySkulls/Techno will tell you, we have the privilege of knowing a mumbai based dentist Doc Arnob whose clinic is like 3-4km away. But in some 3.3 years, his bike did 1L km Similarly, Doc prithvi from bikenomads. Not as much of a mile muncher as doc arn- he still puts in some 20k km on his bike(s) annually. Otherwise, just the archetypal genial 57 year old dentist whose vehicle you'd buy assuming minimal usage
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Karl,
Very interesting & delightful topic indeed !
Right from my school days I have been blessed with good Parsi friends and the trend continued through college and PG days and to a certain extent even into working life ! What also made a long lasting impression was the fact that one of my Dad's bosses was a certain Field Marshal Sam (Bahadur) Manekshaw - my Dad was his first asst. at the AHQ for almost 2 years when Sam became the COAS in 1969. I had met him 3 times and he was/is quite a hero to me.
Ahhh - all my friends - Yezdi, Adil et al - where would I be without you guys !
Anyway coming down to the Auto-Bawa link and my anecdote on the same - the year was 1996 when I was desparately looking around to buy a second hand Maruti 800 to replace my aging/dying Premier Padmini and there pops up an ad in the TOI giving the details of a "M 800,Parsi driven (Dadar),contact..." etc. With trembling fingers believing that I had almost located the holy grail, I dialled the number and the conversation went as follows (verbatim - I swear !):
Ring...Ring...
Voice (male): Hello, Singh ispeaking.
Me (shattered):Errr...I am Guderian, you had placed an ad in the TOI today ?
Him: Yes - for a very good M800.
M: It was mentioned it was owned by a Parsi ?
H: No,no driven,yes,yes - it is driven by my uncle.
M: Mr Singh your uncle is a Parsi ?
H: Actually he is my neighbour and he is so close to me, I call him Uncle.
M: You stay in Dadar ?
H: No,no Sion-Koliwada...but my Uncle stays in Dadar.
M: Uncle ? Neighbour ?
H: Ju see Sion is just next to Dadar - very aas paas.
M: So the car belongs to the Parsi gentleman.
H: Nahinjee - actually he takes it to drive to Pune along with the driver.
M: So it doesn't belong to him.
H: Na Na.
M: It belongs to you ?
H: Haanji.
M: And you are...?
H: Oji, I have a car travel agency - lot of Parsi customers from Dadar.

At last the penny dropped and my heart sank !

That was the last time I ever shopped for a Parsi owned, naaah, driven automobile !
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:24   #4
BHPian

Harish, that was quiet funny ( PARSI DRIVEN ). Well we do have genuine cases too. like in the early 90's I missed out on a Parsi owned Morris Oxford which was well mantained. The owner sold it for 35 Grand. Not a Rupee less..
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:47   #5
BANNED

I missed one Honda CB350 1975 make single Parsi owner in Mumbai i think the year was 2001.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guderian saab,

kya mazze le liye. Reminds me sorta of munnabhai MBBS.

can imagine our singh ji posing with the parsi bawaji next to the m800
Old 24th July 2008, 08:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Guderian saab,

kya mazze le liye. Reminds me sorta of munnabhai MBBS.

can imagine our singh ji posing with the parsi bawaji next to the m800
Phamilymanji,
Zaroor - that was the image I had in mind while talking to Singhji. Was wondering where in the happy snap would I fit in - had I purchased the car - possibly with my head stuck permanently in the engine bay - given the condition of car hire agencies cars !
Old 24th July 2008, 12:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Guderianji,

There are 2 guys in Mumbai who use "Parsi maintained" and "Parsi driven" tags very regularly in the Mumbai TOI. One is in the western suburbs where one of our dear BHPian stays and one is in central Mumbai where another BHPian stays. I will not say anything more, as if somebody is trying to earn a living, my comments should not come in the way.

TO EACH HIS OWN. IT IS UPTO THE BUYER TO HAVE COMMON SENSE.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th July 2008, 12:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

and the same for " doctor owned". Wonder what makes people think doctors drive sedately?
I know my fair share of Docs who rip ( their cars , not their patients ) , including a fair share on this forum itself!
Old 24th July 2008, 12:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

Lol. Hillarious story Guderian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
....IT IS UPTO THE BUYER TO HAVE COMMON SENSE...
Exactly.
Please check the seller for sudra+kasti, and if not present - ask for a discount on the spot!

cya
R
Old 24th July 2008, 14:53   #11
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The "doctor owned" carries certain value because Doctors normally maintain their daily use cars very well. These cars are used by them to frequent hospitals / clinics emergency etc etc. Hence they cannot afford to have a car which breaks down. Thats the reason their cars are very well maintained. And hence the tag "doctor owned".
Old 24th July 2008, 15:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Some other usual proclaimations; don't know whether they result in a premium or not:
  1. LADY OWNED
Forget Premium, I would never ever go in for a lady owned car. In this case, I am sure of 1 thing atleast. The the clutch plate is either gone for a toss or has been replaced (maybe more than once). Plus there will be extra revving all the time plus the dents here and there plus many more things. Phew.

But yes, Parsi Owned definately calls for a premium.
Old 24th July 2008, 16:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Forget Premium, I would never ever go in for a lady owned car. In this case, I am sure of 1 thing atleast. The the clutch plate is either gone for a toss or has been replaced (maybe more than once). Plus there will be extra revving all the time plus the dents here and there plus many more things. Phew.
That's gross generalisation Vinit. My mother's Santro did 100k kms on it's original clutch, how's that?
Old 24th July 2008, 17:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The "doctor owned" carries certain value because Doctors normally maintain their daily use cars very well. These cars are used by them to frequent hospitals / clinics emergency etc etc. Hence they cannot afford to have a car which breaks down. Thats the reason their cars are very well maintained. And hence the tag "doctor owned".
there's a difference between high mileage and well maintained. I'm sure even sudev has maintained his GV impeccably, but another year down, would anyone of us bother to buy the same post 1L?

/no offence but an example
Old 24th July 2008, 22:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The "doctor owned" carries certain value because Doctors normally maintain their daily use cars very well.
I feel that its a totally wrong thought. Most of the docs i've seen are just not bothered bout their cars, and do no maintanence on them! In personally feel, all this Doctor owned, lady driven .... etc statements are just Hogwash!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks