Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should Ford bring the Mustang to India?
Yes, this is the best time to launch the Mustang here. 50 80.65%
No, I dont it would be a hit here in India. 10 16.13%
Others - Please explain your views in the thread. 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2008, 20:04   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

We can dream on...

Ford doesn't make RHD mustangs and that's why it is not offered in any RHD countries. There is a company down under that does mustang RHD conversions, if you want to buy it from Australia.
Old 26th July 2008, 20:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
We can dream on...

Ford doesn't make RHD mustangs and that's why it is not offered in any RHD countries. There is a company down under that does mustang RHD conversions, if you want to buy it from Australia.

The reason that the Mustang doesn't sell outside of the U.S.is because non-Americans are not dumb enough to buy them. If you look at the Mustang objectively, it is useless.

It sells in the U.S., because the Mustang is part of American culture, just like apple pie, and hot dogs.
Old 26th July 2008, 20:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
The reason that the Mustang doesn't sell outside of the U.S.is because non-Americans are not dumb enough to buy them. If you look at the Mustang objectively, it is useless.
I'm not being argumentative, however buying something like the Mustang (at its present form anyway) is not for practicality.

Why did Bugatti made the Veyron ?
People still buy Ferrari's, Porsche and oh yeah bug Lambo, right ?

Just a bit of old history here, when the Mustang was 1st made it was an affordable car that handles/looks like a sports car and was practical as well.

Yes you are right it is the essence of "American Muscle"
But, I'll not call the love towards car/bike/suv as "dumb"

How can you not fall in love with the Mustang (Example : 67 Shelby GT500)

More power/speed - bigger the better that is what USA is all about.
We have our rice rockets (Thanks Japan)
Old 26th July 2008, 22:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The car is going nowhere sales wise in its home country and has outlived its life. Ford will find it difficult to make this car compete with the D segment where it may be placed in the Rs 20 lakh category. It may sell a few hundred cars every year, after selling perhaps a thousand or more initially just out of hype and initial euphoria.
Its had a cult status in the 1960's and early 1970's, in its two door avatar in the US but not any more. The early models are still a craze in the US Classic car market.
Old 26th July 2008, 22:53   #20
BHPian

its sold in other right hand drive markets like australia, so rhd is not a problem
Ford GT | Mustang Motorsport Australia
besides anyway the ford cars in india are nothing but the steering fixed from an LHD to RHD, as the controls are all reversed or do they make it that way with the lights and wiper controls reversed
Old 26th July 2008, 23:01   #21
BHPian

Are you saying the company that is making loss and just sold JLR to TATA is going to launch a crapolia in India?

YES - maybe they can DUMP some mustangs to Indians because most Americans are not buying FORD these days. I know Indians will gladly accept it. hehe

The days of Mustangs and Oil-Burners are over. This is a generation of Priuses.

Forget it.
Old 27th July 2008, 00:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The car is going nowhere sales wise in its home country and has outlived its life. Ford will find it difficult to make this car compete with the D segment where it may be placed in the Rs 20 lakh category. It may sell a few hundred cars every year, after selling perhaps a thousand or more initially just out of hype and initial euphoria.
Its had a cult status in the 1960's and early 1970's, in its two door avatar in the US but not any more. The early models are still a craze in the US Classic car market.
You stole the words right out of my mouth....very well said.

As far as someone comparing a zen carbon to a mustang, are you serious?
Old 27th July 2008, 12:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
As far as someone comparing a zen carbon to a mustang, are you serious?
A Rice rocket doesn't mean its a Zen carbon/steel.
Ever heard of Skyline ? Supra ? no ? too sad

Please Muscle car is a muscle car and rice rocket is a rice rocket.
And Mustang surely is one chunk of muscle.

Who is comparing ?

Hmm... ever heard of the stock Zen beating (italian excotic) lambo in a 1/4 mile drag ?
Search and you shall find , its not just the ride, do keep that in mind.
Old 27th July 2008, 12:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_mustang View Post
the mustang wouldnt be practical in india the concept of a coupe dosent really sell well in india
the zen carbon was a failure!!!!
i dont beleive the mustand would do as well as the audi a4 even
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
A Rice rocket doesn't mean its a Zen carbon/steel.
Ever heard of Skyline ? Supra ? no ? too sad

Please Muscle car is a muscle car and rice rocket is a rice rocket.
And Mustang surely is one chunk of muscle.

Who is comparing ?
Hmm... ever heard of the stock Zen beating (italian excotic) lambo in a 1/4 mile drag ?
Search and you shall find , its not just the ride, do keep that in mind.

Who is comparing? what do you call that then? I suggest you get your perception assesed, its seriously warped.

As far as mustang being one chunk of muscle, the right tense should be WAS. Have you driven the new mustangs? I highly doubt it, I have and its pretty crappy, not a comparision to the old school mustangs by a long shot.

As far as the concept of a coupe doing well in India, should not be based on the the zen carbon, the zen carbon was hardly a coupe by any means.

The mustang will do well in India if priced well, although you can count me out for buying one.

As far as trying to teach me about a rice rocket, please check what cars I drive (look below)

Last edited by spawnofsatan : 27th July 2008 at 12:46.
Old 27th July 2008, 13:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
As far as trying to teach me about a rice rocket, please check what cars I drive (look below)
Who am I to teach ?
I just told what I know and what I think.

If you don't like it, don't.
I've not driven the latest or any mustang.
I don't plan to drive it.

But, if given a choice between a tuner car and a muscle car I'd go for the muscle. I thought that is the point I made so far and i made it pretty clear I hope.
If you call it comparing so be it.

And I dare to say it again, its not just the ride, do keep that in mind.
Does't matter to me what you drive.
Old 27th July 2008, 13:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Who am I to teach ?
I just told what I know and what I think.

If you don't like it, don't.
I've not driven the latest or any mustang.
I don't plan to drive it.

But, if given a choice between a tuner car and a muscle car I'd go for the muscle. I thought that is the point I made so far and i made it pretty clear I hope.
If you call it comparing so be it.

And I dare to say it again, its not just the ride, do keep that in mind.
Does't matter to me what you drive.

If you have never driven a muscle car then how can you make a fair comparison between a japanese tuned car and a muscle car.

As far as picking between the two, its like comparing apples and oranges, both are very different styles and cater to different tastes, I like both, and I do like muscle cars all I am saying is that the new mustang is not really a muscle car, period.

As far as caring about what I drive or not, don't come here trying to teach me stuff, as far as your previous post goes.

That being said, lets get back to the topic.
Old 27th July 2008, 15:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
As far as picking between the two, its like comparing apples and oranges, both are very different styles and cater to different tastes,

As far as caring about what I drive or not, don't come here trying to teach me

That being said, lets get back to the topic.
Good that you finally understood.

Let me type it again if you did't understand,
Who am I to teach ?
I just told what I know and what I think.If you don't like it, don't.

Yes, well said back to the topic.
Old 27th July 2008, 16:47   #28
BHPian

To add, Mustangs were designed for American Geography and culture and American people - when oil was cheap and abundant. Now they have burned up all the oil with their Mustangs! haha

Therefore - it was never intended for Indian Geography or Culture or People.

I know Indian people like to "Show Off", so if you simply want to show off thats a different story. I have noticed in bangalore, that most people get away by putting Stickers on their car and making hole in the muffler. hehe

Also, the numbers (in Miles) are not even great for a car of this size.

Gas Mileage of 2005 Ford Mustang

Last edited by aerohit : 27th July 2008 at 16:52.
Old 27th July 2008, 19:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Ford has no plans to stop production of the mustang. It has plans however to make it in the future with some news of a new mustang in 2010.
So this MUSCLE CAR will still be in production.

Maybe the base version does not have specs to show itself as a muscle car. But the other version like Carroll Shelbys versions and the GT500, svt cobra, the super snake etc surely does show the muscle this car has.
Old 27th July 2008, 20:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Mustang makes my heart skips a beat !!! It's a great car & I always thought of it as a car I would own one day !!

Unfortunately they are not RHD & more importantly even if they are got into India as did Saif Ali thru the conversion of LHD to RHD etc.. it only adds to cost.

By the time it is in the consumers hands it'd cost an arm & a leg. So I really cannot say if this is the right time for it to come to India.

But yes FORD can certainly include it in their catalog so that whosoever wishes to, can get one without any "grey areas".

The single reason I would not buy an import that I love to own is, that I will not get depreciation.

So if FORD was to offer it directly on Rupee payment, one could atleast have the benefit of availing depreciation on a high value purchase, it'd probably find takers like me.

That's my take on it !!!!

It's nice to see so many fans of the Mustang (I am one too). But how many of those who have voted YES will actually buy the car ? I doubt if that'd be above a single digit number. No offense to any member, I am just trying to put things in the right prespective.

The way I see it.. 80% of our countrymen are obsessed with kmpl figures (rightly so, with fuel costing what it does). The other 15% don't really bother as long as a car gets them from point A to B & is respectable in the eyes of the common man on the street. It is only that 5% or less who actually worry or care about things like "cult car". "power to weight ratio", quater mile time, 0-100 km in 6 seconds etc etc.

Would FORD or any other manufacturer be interested to cater to that microscopic minority ? Honsetly I do not know the answer to that one.

So please let your views flow.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 27th July 2008 at 20:36.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed