Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should Ford bring the Mustang to India?
Yes, this is the best time to launch the Mustang here. 50 80.65%
No, I dont it would be a hit here in India. 10 16.13%
Others - Please explain your views in the thread. 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2008, 00:54   #1
BHPian

Should Ford consider bringing the Mustang to India?

Mod Note: Our Mustang Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

I was playing Test Drive Unlimited a few minutes back and in the game I went to the Ford showroom to test drive the Ford Mustang when this very question struck in my mind...why not Ford get that car to India? Why not?

Ford is now a household brand in India and they are doing pretty well here. The have a well established production and assembly line here in India. I'am sure if production isnt viable enough then they have enough infrastructure here to go the CKD way atleast.

The market is now mature than ever and it's not that people dont buy cars worth Rs.9 lacs here...then what is stopping them from launching there most iconic car in India?

I personally think Ford's Mustang will create it's own class here in India as there is no other car like it being built here. Moreover, Ford will never have to try to sell their brand "Mustang" as people will anyways grab the car.

This link Ford Mustang 2009: Build & Price, See Packages & Incentives | Ford Vehicles

suggests that the starting range of the Mustang in the USA is around 8-9 lacs INR. So I think it's high time that Ford India thought well about bringing the Mustang to India....what do you folks think?

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2016 at 16:31. Reason: Link to review :)
Old 26th July 2008, 01:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

It woul be great if they introduced the mustang here, but i don't think they make them in RHD form.
Old 26th July 2008, 01:14   #3
BHPian

The word I would like to use here is going to be absolutely Delicious . Can some birdie whisper in their ears...
Old 26th July 2008, 07:31   #4
BHPian

The only way they would do good is if they build them here and that my friend is never happening.

Would I buy a mustang in India? sure, if it was an older 60's/70's, the new ones are absolutely crappy (except the v8 shelby) te interiors are ugly too.
Old 26th July 2008, 08:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post

Would I buy a mustang in India? sure, if it was an older 60's/70's, the new ones are absolutely crappy (except the v8 shelby) te interiors are ugly too.
Agree... If I manage to get hold of a decent 60's/70's model here in India, I would buy one right away. The new ones don't cut it...

Anyone knows of any mustangs for sale here in India.???
Old 26th July 2008, 12:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'm a fan of the Mustang as well and would be great if Indian buyers could own one. But at what price?. The very thought scares me!. But , there are many who can afford an astronomical price here, unlike in the West , where everyone buys cars on credit.Let the good times roll!.
Old 26th July 2008, 13:32   #7
BHPian

Mustang Rocks

Guys..
I agree with the view that the cult 70s' Mustangs were great - But, it is not true that the current Mustangs suck.

Whenever I travel, I used to rent different cars almost every week to get a taste of different cars - The first time I rented a Mustang, I kept it for 6 weeks till I returned to India. Mustang always manages put a smile on my face (and my friends') whenever we were inside or outside.

The seats are comfortable - low slung, all black/beige interiors with chrome AC dials and decent sound system. Btw, I usually switch off the music system to hear the roar of the Mustang.

I should say the roar has softened over the years (my experience with 2005, 2007, 2008 mustangs) - (or my ears getting bad )

The only thing that beat the roar of the mustang (which I did not expect) was the exhaust notes of a group of Harleys that went past me!

I am not sure if Ford will launch Mustang in the near future (atleast 5 years), but, there is nothing wrong in requesting Ford to consider bringing it here.

To me, Ford => BIG SMILES for the driver (I am not talking of A.S.S or cost of spares or anything else here!)

PS:-
I have uploaded the pics of the two of the Ford cars I rented recently (Ford Taurus and Ford Mustang) - Btw, the guy in the car is not me! It was my colleague who owns a Camry but wanted a taste of Mustang's growl - His Smile says it all!
Attached Thumbnails
Should Ford consider bringing the Mustang to India?-30042008727.jpg  

Should Ford consider bringing the Mustang to India?-30042008728.jpg  

Should Ford consider bringing the Mustang to India?-30042008729.jpg  

Should Ford consider bringing the Mustang to India?-30042008730.jpg  

Old 26th July 2008, 13:42   #8
BHPian

Mustang- The wild Horse.
Its as good as it comes.
The car is sure a head turner and makes me go crazy over it again and again
Old 26th July 2008, 13:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Agree... If I manage to get hold of a decent 60's/70's model here in India, I would buy one right away. The new ones don't cut it...

Anyone knows of any mustangs for sale here in India.???
I have been looking for an older gen restorable mustang for a while too, if anyone is selling one please PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Guys..
I agree with the view that the cult 70s' Mustangs were great - But, it is not true that the current Mustangs suck.

Whenever I travel, I used to rent different cars almost every week to get a taste of different cars - The first time I rented a Mustang, I kept it for 6 weeks till I returned to India. Mustang always manages put a smile on my face (and my friends') whenever we were inside or outside.

Wow you must be easily pleased
Old 26th July 2008, 13:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

It they plan to bring it, then it would be a CBU. Ford's Chennai facility cannot support the manufacturing of this car here. Yes, the timing might be right this time unlike Mondeo.
Old 26th July 2008, 14:11   #11
BHPian

the mustang wouldnt be practical in india
the concept of a coupe dosent really sell well in india
the zen carbon was a failure!!!!
i dont beleive the mustand would do as well as the audi a4 even
Old 26th July 2008, 14:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

No, Ford should not consider bringing Mustang to India.
There are more than a few reasons for this.

1)
Ford A.S. & S. Ford need to improve this. The very existence of a company can be decided by this. Fiat lost here. Despite Palio being a good product, they mainly lost in this area. Palio still today remains as the best built hatch.

2)
Fuel Quality and Quantity ( FQAQ ). As far as my reading is concerened, most of all petrol bunks en up messisng up with FQAQ. The Mustang wont be able to tolerate this. If they detune the engine, the charm is lost.

3)
Roads. Well, we all know about the quality of roads we have.

4)
Discipline of road users. Suppose that this car gets scratched, then it will be emotionally very bad. And as we know, keeping a car scratchless like running a car without ever filling in fuel, so it will get damaged.

Mustang is a great car, a car that will never try to show that the owner is having a middle age crises. I respect this car, but for present automotive scenario and automotive related scenario, this car should not come to India.
Old 26th July 2008, 16:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

This the same question I have been asking myself since my first visit to the States a month ago. This vehicle would surely be a hit.
Old 26th July 2008, 16:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

I really doubt its the right time for the mustang here in india.

Ford isnt really doing well here in india atleast with its top segment cars. So Before even thinking of getting the Mustang down here in any (cbu etc) form, they need to get it right with the new Mondeo.

I would however love to see the the focus Rs here.
Old 26th July 2008, 20:02   #15
BHPian

This idea is totally nuts.

Did you hear that Ford lost $8.67 Billion last quarter? Yes BILLION.

Ford is changing its North American product mix into smaller more fuel efficient cars in order to survive as an automaker. In this scenario the venerable Mustang may get cut altogether.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks