Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2018, 09:00   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: How do dealers dispose of a demo car?

There is a 9 months old unregistered Ford Endy 3.2 (end 2017) which has done around 30k kms up for sale at a 30% off approximately from on-road price.

Have to get more details on the source of sale. Mostly I expect this to be from a dealer, but i have doubts if a test drive vehicle could do so much of kms within this short time frame, esp there won't be so many prospects for a vehicle like Endy 3.2

Exteriors of vehicle looks neat in pics. Was thinking of giving it a shot, given they cover the warranty. Any inputs?
Old 26th July 2018, 09:11   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
There is a 9 months old unregistered Ford Endy 3.2 (end 2017) which has done around 30k kms up for sale at a 30% off approximately from on-road price.

Have to get more details on the source of sale. Mostly I expect this to be from a dealer, but i have doubts if a test drive vehicle could do so much of kms within this short time frame, esp there won't be so many prospects for a vehicle like Endy 3.2
30% is quite a bit. But that 30k kms could be everything, right from TDs to being used in demos and also the off-roading events that Ford organized. From what I recall, someone who participated in one of them off Pune, the Endeavors were nicely abused through the track.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 09:22   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
30% is quite a bit. But that 30k kms could be everything, right from TDs to being used in demos and also the off-roading events that Ford organized. From what I recall, someone who participated in one of them off Pune, the Endeavors were nicely abused through the track.
Yes, the pricing has made me to consider this option. I hope this pricing is inclusive of registration & other costs (on road to buyer), else, its an easy decision for me to walk away from this.

On using the vehicle for such extensive test drives & media events, what sort of damages are expected? Is that we could identify now itself with an expert test driving or those damages will surface at later part.
Old 30th July 2018, 14:51   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
The clutch and the brake pads are the two major parts that are bad in the demo cars. So check them apart from the tyres and the other common parts, also check for the wear and tear on the tyres for any unevenness. If these are fine, I dont see any issue in going for a demo car if you get it for a killer price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
With the kind of technology advancements done in these days engine, i can say these are reliable for another 100,000 Kms, yes the abuse in early engine life matters as well but a satisfactory test drive can reveal that these engines are made forever if they have survived the initial abuse. You know you are gonna maintain them nicely. So i think no harm in going ahead with the same manufacturing year car that you are buying (not more than a year old to get better resale), but do bargain hard, real hard. I would be shy in asking that C-class for 35 lacs, damn...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
My personal opinion would depend on the drivetrain of the car. If the demo car is a conventional automatic, and you get it at a bargain basement price, go for it! Why? Because there's very little abuse one can do to an automatic car. As much as one may try, an automatic transmission is programmed to perform a certain way and that's something that cannot be abused.

In short, automatic transmission - yes (if no damage is found) and manual transmission - no (however perfect the car seems to be).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So I think its more to preference then technical issues
Jeroen
18 months old, 3.2 Endy, on possible discount of 30% plus done around 30k with complete warranty cover & first registration from Temp regn is what promised. The above points are in favour of this deal. Any specific inputs to this case would be helpful as well
Old 31st July 2018, 10:06   #125
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
done around 30k
Please avoid. Those 30,000 km would have been the hardest ever. Comparable to 75,000 km of a single-owner driven car.

If you are buying an Endeavour 3.2, it's all about the experience, not a cheap deal. Don't compromise. If at all you are tight on budget, get a 2017 build unused car at a discount (although my first choice would be a fresh piece).
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 10:14   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Where did you find this Endy? Once in a while Ford (i.e the manufacturing plant, their IT Operations Unit etc.) auction their Company Lease cars, Dealer Non-saleable cars. Most of these Endys' are picked up by Used Car Dealers.

The Lease cars are registered. Ones used by the factory sometimes run on test plates. Please check the source of this car.

An un-registered dealer demo doing 30K Kms in less than a year is doubtful.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 19:21   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you are buying an Endeavour 3.2, it's all about the experience, not a cheap deal. Don't compromise.
Could very well relate to what your saying. Thanks a ton. Let me consider other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Where did you find this Endy? Once in a while Ford (i.e the manufacturing plant, their IT Operations Unit etc.) auction their Company Lease cars, Dealer Non-saleable cars. Most of these Endys' are picked up by Used Car Dealers.

The Lease cars are registered. Ones used by the factory sometimes run on test plates. Please check the source of this car.

An un-registered dealer demo doing 30K Kms in less than a year is doubtful.
Yes, currently all of these cars are picked by a particular dealer in Chennai from Ford Factories.

The vehicle in discussions is from a dealer. Looks like Ford has issued clear instruction to dealers, not to run demo cars on temp registration, but this dealer somehow managed to run it on temp regn.

Yes, i too have doubts whether this vehicle has seen so much of test drives (80+ kms on an average per day). Some long trips probably for higher ups in Company.
Old 29th July 2019, 15:22   #128
BHPian

There is a Hpromise dealer in Chennai who is offering a demo car
1. Feb 2018 i20 Asta(o) run 17k - 8 lakh
2. Mar 2018 i20 Asta(o) run 12k - 8.2 lakh

New one costs 10.6 lakh.

I have seen both the vehicle and everything is in top order. Hyundai will provide 2 free services and 1 year warranty. No extended warranty options available.

Seems like a decent enough deal. So looking for thoughts/suggestions on whether it can be picked up
Old 29th July 2019, 19:25   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
No extended warranty options available.

Seems like a decent enough deal. So looking for thoughts/suggestions on whether it can be picked up
17k within one and a half year on a demo / test drive car means lot of wear & tear. Now when there is no extended warranty given, 20% savings doesn't feel a good deal anymore.

No doubt about Hyundai making some tough cars in Indian prospective but similarly there won't any doubt about the amount of abuse it may have taken in every single km of that 17k life span.

If you are willing to take bit of pain of searching & patience for the same, you can get a similar second hand deal with option for extended warranty & still save a Lakh or more.

But then again, this is my personal view only.
Old 29th July 2019, 22:24   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
No extended warranty options available.
Are the cars already registered or are they running on temp plates ? Extended warranty would not be available. So ask for 2 years warranty, with sufficient running. Also, check the insurance papers for the IDV. Is the offer higher/lower than this ? Try to negotiate for a little lower than this. If you can do these two, and feel the price is good, then consider it. 17k in 1.5 years is about 1k per month. About 30km per day .. sounds ok.
Old 29th July 2019, 22:26   #131
BHPian

My friend got a great deal on Ciaz diesel top model 2018 demo car with only 3k on the odo. He could negotiate a discount of more than 3.5 lakhs. Lucky fellow.
Attached Thumbnails
How do dealers dispose of a demo car?-img20190718wa0050.jpg  

a_myth is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 08:54   #132
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Jeep dealer in Bangalore has a Grey Wrangler demo vehicle with 27k kms on the clock which he wants to offer at 50 lacs plus taxes.

The Mini Cooper dealer offers Demo Mini Cooper cars with varying numbers of kms on the clock, at prices around 35-40 lacs.

To me personally these are still very high prices.

My greatest worry would always be the fact that all sorts of types of people including dealer staff and others are allowed to Test Drive these and somehow therefore buying one of these even if the prices were more affordable, doesnt sit well with me personally.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 21:49   #133

Getting a demo Polo GT TSI late 2018 model from dealer for Rs. 9 lakhs. ODO meter has clocked around 9400km. Took a TD and couldn't find any blatant faults, however difficult to comment about the impact on the DSG gearbox of one year's "abuse" by test drivers. Any inputs? Is it a good deal?
Old 22nd February 2020, 22:54   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhnik View Post
Getting a demo Polo GT TSI late 2018 model from dealer for Rs. 9 lakhs. ODO meter has clocked around 9400km. Took a TD and couldn't find any blatant faults, however difficult to comment about the impact on the DSG gearbox of one year's "abuse" by test drivers. Any inputs? Is it a good deal?
Demo car with a DSG gearbox!! I'd advise you to stay away.

IMHO, you'll be better off buying a used car from an individual that has a higher ODO reading, but has been predictably better cared for.

Last edited by pannags : 22nd February 2020 at 22:58. Reason: Added content
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 20:56   #135
BHPian

Asking for a friend.

A Honda City ZX CVT iVtec, early 2019 model, is being offered at 10.5 lakhs OTR. It has done about 7000 kms, 95% of it being within the city limits. The current on road price of the ZX is about 15.5 lakhs OTR. The new City is expected to retail at around 17 lakhs OTR or more. Looks like a tempting deal if looked at that way.

What more should she check of the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks