Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 07:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
From what I've gathered most modern diesels have that initial surge which makes them a pain to drive in city traffic since you've constantly press the clutch to control it. In bumper to bumper traffic, you still can't potter around like you can in a petrol without having to constantly use the clutch.
This is not true. the surge does exists but it is at 1800 RPM when the turbo kicks in. If there is a surge noticed before that RPM then a ECU reset is recommended.
Old 30th July 2008, 08:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
the road would be littered with wrecks of petrols trying desperately to up their power and torque.
There is no challenge in driving a high revving petrol fast.
Mash the go-pedal to the floor board and hold on. anyone can do that.I've done that, I agree its fun, but its not as fun as playing with the torque on a diesel powerband.

The other thing to note is that, quite a few petrol heads have not experienced new gen diesels enough. try them with an open mind, your opinion will change.
Oye ripper,
i have heard that divorce rates are quite high in Kerala now. Are you still happily married? I am and so is my car. I ain't scared by the dark sides. Not going offtopic. The theory is simple. What you need is what you get.
second point - there is no challenge to revvs. end of story.
Last as you said, all petrol heards should drive the new diesels. They are quite amazing.

About torque etc, i don't do gear changes in my petrol and somebody called me an old man with a walking (torque) stick. Sometimes i slot into fifth (age) from standstill and still car won't switch off.

All the facts about handling etc are not relevant atleast in Indian conditions unless the car is on a race track. have seen a verna flying just in front of my eyes. Amazingly the same verna person (sorry mate i am saying this for you) likes my petrol just for the fun that it offers.
So i think there is no end to this whole story. We cannot change the relativies involved in driving and thats why all of car makes sell.
Be happy and enjoy driving. Problems happen if you try and beat. I always think that there is someone already who can beat me. The thing is i just haven't met him.
Old 30th July 2008, 09:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Much more of the aspects are already discussed here
Old 30th July 2008, 09:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post

The other thing to note is that, quite a few petrol heads have not experienced new gen diesels enough. try them with an open mind, your opinion will change.
I will be as I plan to buy a new car in 5-6 months. But despite everything in favor of diesels, the noise it makes (that out hear when you are outside) it a big turn-off. I mean when was the last time you heard a diesel and said "wow! great sound track!" ?

Savings in fuel bills will be a big factor if I buy a diesel.
Old 30th July 2008, 09:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
From what I've gathered most modern diesels have that initial surge which makes them a pain to drive in city traffic since you've constantly press the clutch to control it. In bumper to bumper traffic, you still can't potter around like you can in a petrol without having to constantly use the clutch.

Try driving an Octavia Deisel. You will change your opinion in no time.

Cheers
Old 30th July 2008, 09:52   #36
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Oye ripper,
i have heard that divorce rates are quite high in Kerala now. Are you still happily married? I am and so is my car. I ain't scared by the dark sides.
what has marriage got to with anything?

Quote:
The theory is simple. What you need is what you get.
I agree. what i'm saying is, you get what you need from a diesel these days, not just from petrol.
Quote:
second point - there is no challenge to revvs. end of story.
that story has just begun.
a few years back, diesels revved till 3000rpm.
and any diesel engine revving beyond 2000rpm was called a high speed diesel. situation has changed in a decade or less. and it continues to change. engine makers have been taking the easy way out by working on petrols. even honda makes common rails now(they were dead against the sticky stuff). and those babies blow every other common rail out of the water. give honda some more time. we'll see.

Quote:
Last as you said, all petrol heards should drive the new diesels. They are quite amazing.
that is important. quite a few people have mental blocks against diesels(Not you). I'm not saying they are superior to petrols. I'm saying people wont know what they like or dont like without trying the new options.

Old 30th July 2008, 11:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Try driving an Octavia Deisel. You will change your opinion in no time.

Cheers
Or a SwiftD.... The city drivability is just amazing. Very less gear changes required.

A Qualis is even more interesting. I could take most chennai U turns on 3rd gear, without touching the clutch and at low speeds. A MM540 is almost like an automatic in the city.

I have mentioned this so many times.. Honda cribbing about Indian diesel fuel quality is nonsense. They just cant commit to make the engines India ready or the success of their petrols have got into their heads.

Honda, please give us your i-DTEC!!!!

Last edited by mail4ajo : 30th July 2008 at 11:05.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:10   #38
BHPian

Practically, i didnt need a diesel car if you go by the logic of "monthly running is xxx kms", i could have gone for Optra VGIS petrol very well, however i chose to go for Optra Magnum TCDI Diesel 2.0. If i was looking for economy then i could have gone for some other diesel option in the market, but i went ahead with Optra Diesel only because it offers more power than even the most of the petrol cars in this segment and at that price.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:21   #39
VBV
BHPian

A friend of mine does not believe in too much of racing, he believes in cruising. His idea of a good drive is one where he gets to a speed and cruises, enjoying the other parts of the drive than just the accelerator. Needless to say, he owns a diesel lancer.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

I prefer driving diesels because of the cheaper cost of running it and my driving style suits it. Not that I drive sedately but i do not accelerate furiously. I rarely do above 100 kmph. I had an Ambassador diesel which seldom needed to be put into first gear, a Bolero DI where we forgot there is a first gear and an Indica diesel which is a pain in heavy traffic.
Old 30th July 2008, 11:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

I am a dieselhead - and if noise and performance are the issues for a diesel, then here are my $ 0.02

The other day, a family friend visited me on his Mondeo (Black!!!) - and until he said so, i didn't think it was Diesel though I was standing outside the idling car. The car was about 3 - 4 years old.

When I was being picked up from Cochin airport by my office's Indigo, the engine was pretty smooth (IDI) - and was not all that loud as other Indigo / ca's (I used to have an Indica!), and all the driver had to say was it was well maintained, though it had done about 40k.

So i guess it is the maintanence and the driving style that makes the Diesel noisy. Please do not compare the Accent's CRDi here - it was a 3-cylinder pot, and it is good that it is so "silent".

And Power - I guess that taboo is out now, with Swift DDiD / Getz CRDi VGT / Elantra CRDi / Laura / Mondeo and on and on. Indicas were never a performance car - it gives awesome mileage, not heavy on the pocket and was fairly reliable. But the new Diesels, especially the Getz CRDi - simply awesome!

I am not telling that Petrol is inferior to Diesel, but from what it was not long ago, Diesel engines have come a very long way. And if this trend continues maybe they will earn all the positives of the petrol too! But bottom-line: Too each, his own
Old 30th July 2008, 11:47   #42
Team-BHP Support

they sold a mondeo diesel over here?
Old 30th July 2008, 11:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
A Qualis is even more interesting. I could take most chennai U turns on 3rd gear, without touching the clutch and at low speeds.
Very good engine - Jus 75 PS (is that correct?), but the torque beats you. I kind of liked the Tavera's mill too - though both dont fall under the "silent" category...

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
i chose to go for Optra Magnum TCDI Diesel 2.0.
One car I missed mentioning in my post - sorry, one HELLUVA car!!!
Old 30th July 2008, 12:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
they sold a mondeo diesel over here?
They did! and maybe you not knowing there was a diesel itself stands by what i said about the engine - and boy, it was some machine!!

A few reads - I would have definitely bought one of these had Ford not been so pricey a manufacturer (and going by my driving, I may be spending the car's value in repairs too!)

The Launch: The Hindu : Ford Mondeo: a wholesome vehicle

A Review: Tests - Diesel and dust - Business Standard Motoring

You get them cheap now - but be prepared for the fine print!!!
Old 30th July 2008, 12:14   #45
Sandy!!!!

I find diesel more inviting.... Swift DDis is a gem.... which puts a smile on my face, each time i drive it....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks