Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 17:14   #61
Senior - BHPian

For me, no question Diesel is absolute fun. Even buyer pays around 1Lakh premium for getting a diesel car, but he get saved every time in petrol pump to shell out more.

So, getting one worry of paying premium over petrol car than getting pleasure every time you fill the diesel in you car. whatever you spend you get more in petrol pump compare to fellow petrol car owners, over and above getting higher fuel efficiency than petrol.

I certainly prefer paying one time more than paying more amount each and every day when we fill the fuel.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:28   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
For me, no question Diesel is absolute fun. Even buyer pays around 1Lakh premium for getting a diesel car, but he get saved every time in petrol pump to shell out more.

So, getting one worry of paying premium over petrol car than getting pleasure every time you fill the diesel in you car. whatever you spend you get more in petrol pump compare to fellow petrol car owners, over and above getting higher fuel efficiency than petrol.

I certainly prefer paying one time more than paying more amount each and every day when we fill the fuel.
I think you missed the point - the OP referred to 'driving' pleasure and not 'filling' pleasure.
Old 30th July 2008, 19:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
OK here is a question. This is going to be happen someday very soon. Forget price diffrential.

You have a choice.

Jetta 2.0 CRdi diesel with about 150bhp I believe. Torque of 2.0 TDi 140bhp unit is rated at 236lbs.ft@1750rpm. Combined UK mileage is 51.6mpg. Crdi should give slightly better overall figures for both engine and mileage.

Jetta 1.4 TSI Petrol with 170bhp@6000rpm. Torque is 177 lbs.ft@1500rpm! Combined UK mileage 38.7mpg.

Note: Above specs are for the Golf in UK. Jetta shouldn't have any major difference in mileage from the Golf.
I tried staying away from this thread ...... but for that question i will take the petrol eyes closed

and most of the comparison done in this thread are not correct as all the diesels are turbos where petrol models are non turbo so obviously diesel will be faster, at least in straight .....

take a example of swift petrol is 87bhp and 117nm of torque and diesel is 75bhp and 190nm torque IIRC ...... On the track stock petrol is faster than stock diesel ..... why ?? where does all that 190nm or torque goes, for a faster car power sud be well distributed across the RPM range, anyways if its for me i will take the high revving petrol engine anyday over diesel, anyways each to their own, some might find diesel better some petrol that y both are still in the market isn't it

@greenhorn that was the lamest comment i have seen on TBHP, totally uncalled for ......
Old 30th July 2008, 20:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

1)
OK here is a question. This is going to be happen someday very soon.

2)
You have a choice.

Jetta 2.0 CRdi diesel with about 150bhp I believe. Torque of 2.0 TDi 140bhp unit is rated at 236lbs.ft@1750rpm. Combined UK mileage is 51.6mpg. Crdi should give slightly better overall figures for both engine and mileage.

2.0 TDI.
So it is 18.26 kmpl and 32.6 KGM of torque.
EDIT: 0-62 mph = 9.7 sec.
Top Speed = 129 mph/203 kmph ( manual ) and 127 mph ( DSG ).

Jetta 1.4 TSI Petrol with 170bhp@6000rpm. Torque is 177 lbs.ft@1500rpm! Combined UK mileage 38.7mpg.

So it is 13.7 kmpl and 24.4 KGM of torque.
EDT: 0-62mph = 8.3 sec ( manual )
Top speed = 137 mph/220 kmph ( manual ) and 136 mph ( DSG )
0-62mph = 8.1 sec ( DSG ).

Note: Above specs are for the Golf in UK. Jetta shouldn't have any major difference in mileage from the Golf.
2)
Right now its 1.4 cause it can give high level of acceleration.
However, you can make this even more intersting by providing the acceleration figures and top speed.

O.T.
1)
I dont think its happening any time soon. The 1.4 will require 95 Octane RON fuel ( unaldultrated ), and this wont be available in Inida in near future.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th July 2008 at 20:32.
Old 30th July 2008, 20:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post

In city driving

1. If you want to cover the gap between you and the guy in front of you in stop-and-go traffic before the biker moves in, then its petrol for you.
Sorry boss... but I ll have to disagree.

For a year or so I had a Lancer petrol and the Accent CRDi I currently have, and I personally felt that if I required a sudden surge, the CRDi always delivered MUCH quicker.

CRDi s have a amazing knack for closing gaps real quick... provided of course that the driver knows which is the correct gear for the job.

I can cite a real life example. My jijaji test drove my Crdi. He owns a petrol Accent and he has never driven a diesel car before. He actually said "This car seems sluggish". I just told him to keep the car within a certain rev band try again. He did that and discovered what torque meant. Within a few minutes his opinion completely changed.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 30th July 2008 at 20:36.
Old 30th July 2008, 20:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I can cite a real life example. My jijaji test drove my Crdi. He owns a petrol Accent and he has never driven a diesel car before. He actually said "This car seems sluggish". I just told him to keep the car within a certain rev band try again. He did that and discovered what torque meant. Within a few minutes his opinion completely changed.
Hmm. That makes me think why people think highway driving is better in a diesel. Say you are crusing at 80kmph in 5th gear (typically about 2500rpm on a WagonR & close to 2000rpm on an OHV VTEC). Now if you want to accelerate (to overtake or just coz you want to), diesel being the powerband would do it immediately while in a petrol you need to downshift to get into the powerband. On the otherhand if you are doing 130-140kmph a petrol will probably accelerate must faster and till you hit the rev limiter. Not the mention, you will most likely be hearing a good soundtrack
Old 30th July 2008, 20:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

If everything else is not a factor (purchase price, running cost, fuel bills etc.) and Driving Pleasure is the only criteria, then I would pick a high-revving petrol engine any day.
Old 30th July 2008, 21:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Hmm. That makes me think why people think highway driving is better in a diesel. Say you are crusing at 80kmph in 5th gear (typically about 2500rpm on a WagonR & close to 2000rpm on an OHV VTEC). Now if you want to accelerate (to overtake or just coz you want to), diesel being the powerband would do it immediately while in a petrol you need to downshift to get into the powerband. On the otherhand if you are doing 130-140kmph a petrol will probably accelerate must faster and till you hit the rev limiter. Not the mention, you will most likely be hearing a good soundtrack
I agree. At 80 kmph, without a downshift, the diesel would definitely accelerate immediately, but the pace of gathering speed would be sedate, although much more rapid than a petrol in a similar situation.

However, in such a situation, a downshift in a CRDi will result in the car accelerating faster than a petrol after a downshift.

Btw, all my observations are based on direct comparisons between my Accent CRDi and my friend's Accent Petrol.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 30th July 2008 at 21:19.
Old 30th July 2008, 21:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Problem is that there are not many V6 petrols offered in India.

You really get the best of both worlds with V6 petrol. Diesel like bottom end torque and revs to the moon when you give it the cane.
Old 30th July 2008, 23:20   #70
BHPian

I would take this way. Petrol may be rev happy and faster than the diesel, but as an owner of the car, I would rather rev the diesel than the petrol. Reving petrol gives some sort of over-stressing when I try to get the kind of pull the diesels give me. And if I retain my diesel driving habits on a petrol car, it is surely going to drink much more petrol.

Me, diesel any day.
Old 30th July 2008, 23:22   #71
BHPian

And forgot to mention the pleasure of overtaking on uphill slopes and ease of dragging up the slope from standstill without going down.
Old 31st July 2008, 17:50   #72
Senior - BHPian

In addition to the driving pleasure of deisels, I have stated below some other facts which make the case stronger for the deisels These facts / comments are based on my experiance of owning the following Deisels :

Indica DLS
Scorpio
Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi
Accent VIVA CRDi
Audi A4 2.0 TDi

Modern deisels are far more fuel efficient & fun to drive than they ever were. So we are burning less fuel per km in the deisels than in petrols. Even if one day the cost of petrol & deisel is equalized, the per km cost of a deisel will still be less.

Newer technology has made deisels far more responsvie, fuel efficient & cleaner than they ever were. That itself makes a strong case for deisels - other than ofcourse the addictive torque

Well, I rest my case.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 31st July 2008 at 18:03.
Old 31st July 2008, 18:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

i just prefer a diesel over a petrol. its amazing torque and the pull of the turbo just thrills me as in a petrol, i rarely get a chance to red line the engine. moreover, i just love the snarl of a diesel engine compared to the purr of a petrol engine, but thats my personal opinion. but i believe, in our road conditions, often torque is more important than power, and diesel offers abundance of torque.
Old 31st July 2008, 18:54   #74
Senior - BHPian

And may I add the reduced Need for a Horn
Often, when I see a biker on my left trying to jump into the gap in front of me, I rev like crazy to accelerate and close the gap. Quite often I've noticed that even before my car gains any speed , the roar scares the bikers away

Same while overtaking. When you move up to just behind a guy, the engine makes its presence felt before the car does

Last edited by greenhorn : 31st July 2008 at 18:56.
Old 31st July 2008, 19:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Same while overtaking. When you move up to just behind a guy, the engine makes its presence felt before the car does

does it rattle that bad ? just kidding its the same with my tata too, very noisy engine

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks