Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 17:50   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It's the same the other way round too! I find this fascination for torque puzzling. Why have such a short powerband of 2k rpm when you can have a petrol engine you can stretch up to 7-8k rpm and enjoy the high-revving experience? To each his own I guess.
Ishan, you know I opted for the 280cdi against the 280 petrol, even though my running is very liitle and montly savings on fuels is irrelevant. I can say for Sure that I am Very Very Happy with this Monster. In all respects she is Sheer Pleasure perfomance wise. And with the Brabus Chip you know what has happened to the cars torque and power. And since she is auto, no hard clutches and start stop traffic problems.
I'd agree with everyone here saying modern diesels are way too refined and responsive, and they do not have any sound/vibrations of the older generation diesels.
Old 1st August 2008, 17:53   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its like saying Chicken chettinad is delicious and anybody finding it too spicy to eat is lying.
That is not enough. The person should close his eyes and put a spoon of chicken curry without knowing whether it is chettinad chicken or not. If he is consistently liking or disliking the chetinad alone, then he is genuine. Otherwise he is a fake.

Similarly, we should record the sound in Bangalore traffic or early morning when a petrol car and diesel car zip past you or when you are drivig inside the car with A/c fan on. If the person consitently dislikes the diesel (new diesel engines, not Indica) sound recordings, then I would agree that diesel makes a lot of difference for that person. Otherwise, it is just a mental block. Of course, vibration is a different thing, which most people will identify.
Old 1st August 2008, 17:58   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
lets have a poll !!
I also agree. And there should be another sub-poll with the condition "even if price of diesel fuel/car and petrol fuel/car become same". I'm one who will pay premium for diesel
Old 1st August 2008, 18:59   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Ishan, you know I opted for the 280cdi against the 280 petrol, even though my running is very liitle and montly savings on fuels is irrelevant. I can say for Sure that I am Very Very Happy with this Monster. In all respects she is Sheer Pleasure perfomance wise. And with the Brabus Chip you know what has happened to the cars torque and power. And since she is auto, no hard clutches and start stop traffic problems.
Yes sir, I'm still awaiting the TD after the chip! Before the chip was very good too!!

But your case is slightly different as you're buying something from a segment much above & also like you've mentioned you have an auto which solves a lot of driving issues. For eg. the problem I face with the Hyundai CRDi's in traffic is simply not present in your car which is more than happy to just potter around in traffic.
Old 1st August 2008, 19:16   #110
Senior - BHPian

Deisel cars on idle are undoubtedly noisy, compared to a petrol. Once you reach cruising speeds it is difficult to tell the difference.

Someone had mentioned on a previous post that the Octavia is noisy on the inside as well. I can say from having driven an Octavia Deisel for 3 years, that it is not noisy but yes one can tell the difference between a petrol & deisel engined Octavia. At cruising speeds maybe not even that !!

Cheers
Old 1st August 2008, 19:23   #111
Senior - BHPian

The German luxobadge diesels are in a class of their own. Been in a BMW 745d and it has hardly any noise in the interior plus is amazingly comfy. No one is even bringing them into the picture here. What I'm talking about are diesels available at a sane price of 20lacs or less.

However the more mundane ones from hyundai/toyota/vw/fiat are no way close to the refinement levels of a bimmer or a merc diesel engine.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 1st August 2008 at 19:26.
Old 1st August 2008, 21:31   #112
Senior - BHPian

i have driven an optra magnum diesel and also an optra petrol, and believe me, i was straining to hear the engine noise or feel the difference! and i dont know how many would agree, but i found the diesel magnum more fun to drive then the petrol optra both in the city as well as the highway. the torque wave in the magnum impressed me more than the power gush of the optra 1.8 petrol. the same goes for my scorpio, i love driving it more than any petrol cars and at cruising speeds, it feels more refined than an indica petrol as well!
Old 1st August 2008, 22:15   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I perfectly agree with Tadu here, people who own petrol cars would love to show off their machines are better with that one off ripping of their cars ( probably during tbhp meets) whereas we diesel heads can afford to drive like that on our daily drives ( i drive like my a** is on fire on a daily basis)
mate. you are welcome to have a drive with me (even daily). I drive cool never on fire.
please don't bring affordability (you never know what others can afford).
Just a thought!! (i thought everyone is allowed to show off on meets)...
Old 2nd August 2008, 00:17   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Other than the german luxobadges, I still haven't found a diesel that can come remotely close to the refinement of a honda or a mitsu. They might be close to a hyundai or a suzuki but no way close to the very best.
What you said it true, for the rest of the world where Mitsubhishi sells their current models. Unlike Mitsubishi, neither Honda, nor Suzuki, nor Hyundai sells outdated stuff. We get the same models which are sold, and bought in large numbers, in the developed world.

Off Topic Stuff - My humble request to you, and others is, please do not encourage car companies which do not treat us on par with the rest of the world. The least you will get them to do is either shut shop and run, or stop the nonsense and start selling their good stuff.

India stopped being Ethiopia some time back right?

Quote:
...no mainstream diesel comes close to the state of the art in mainstream petrols.
For the benefit of others, could you please tell us what exactly is state of the art in the main stream petrol you are driving?

I think the Diesel guys do have a lot of modern technology going into their cars. Every new model brings more buzzwords, and more Torque, of course.

And the last good guy from the petrol gang(Honda) went all GREEN. So what does the common man with the need for speed do? Buy Diesel of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
0-100 acceleration - tadu, can we borrow your iphone? point to point on a curvy road of your choice - this will test suspension and handling too right?
Vijay
Bad idea. Especially while the forum looks on. Lets not go down that path please.

But of course, we do coffee days on weekends, and I means ones far away on the highways. ROC, please join us, and I will help remove any technical doubts you have about how the Diesels are so bad to drive etc.

Of course, there is the video from the last drive also -

TBHP Bangalore drive to Yelagiri

Will also help you guys understand better what you feel/hear in the car while doing ~200kmph speeds.

Quote:
The German luxobadge diesels are in a class of their own. Been in a BMW 745d and it has hardly any noise in the interior plus is amazingly comfy. No one is even bringing them into the picture here. What I'm talking about are diesels available at a sane price of 20lacs or less.

However the more mundane ones from hyundai/toyota/vw/fiat are no way close to the refinement levels of a bimmer or a merc diesel engine.
So then what are you talking about? Comparing the cedia with a 7 series BMW? Or an Audi A8, or is it the S Class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I perfectly agree with Tadu here, people who own petrol cars would love to show off their machines are better...
That statement is in bad taste, and I would not say something like that. You sure I said that, or meant something like that anywhere?

Last edited by tadukuttan : 2nd August 2008 at 00:26.
Old 2nd August 2008, 07:53   #115
Senior - BHPian

I bought the Getz CRDi for the main reasons like Awesome power and torque , Good FE and low running costs.
Old 2nd August 2008, 10:08   #116
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! This thread has snowballed into a fight now!!! Its always the individual's taste, style of driving, perception and preference that matters. I love modern diesels, but I never hated my decades old Contessa Classic diesel or MM540 Diesel - but would have never bought those (Maybe the Jeep..!). Modern diesels, yes!!

But then my family always prefers a Petrol, and they have their reasons too - just like I have mine.

I would never invite my dad or uncles or cousins for a drag race or a 0-60/100 or a 100/60-0!! I respect their preferences, and they respect mine - and the same applies to all of us!!!
Old 2nd August 2008, 17:55   #117
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, please stick to the topic and refrain from off track. Also, Team-BHP does NOT support drags on public roads.
Old 2nd August 2008, 18:39   #118
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to some dieselheads on forum and Hyundai for bringing in mad mad diesel engines in the Indian market.I've become a dieselhead and i'm loving it.

I still love to drive the Baleno for its driving feel, comfort,handling and high revving engine but when i drive the Getz CRDi the torque really becomes addictive. I still haven't seen any petrol car go from 100-160kmph the way the Getz does it. I think RS would be the only exception...
The car is so addictive to drive that i still haven't felt the need of ICE after 1500kms. lol

Comparing my two cars in terms of driving pleasure.
Baleno
Pros
1. handling is just fantastic.
2. Once in a while doing 100kmph in 2nd gear is fun.
3. Refinement and comfort including the chiller AC
4. Cruising at low speeds isn't a problem
Cons
1. Runs out of steam after 140kmph, speedo starts crawling after 140kmph..
2. Very noisy after 140kmph.
3. Ripping will bring the FE down to single digit figure.
4. Modding doesn't get u more than 5-8bhp. Debatable but thats my opinion.

Getz CRDi
Pros
1. Acceleration is mind boggling as mentioned above.
2. Very silent @ 160kmph in comparison to Baleno.
3. Getting 14.5kmpl after doing 140kmph+ speeds.
4. Plug and play tuning box can always make it go even faster

Cons
1. In Bumper to bumper traffic its not very easy to drive until u get used to it..
2. Maintenance cost is high.

ROC: I don't intend to start an argument here but since u have brought the Cedia topic i would like to share my views. I have driven both Cedia and Elantra many times, both cars are fantastic in their own respect. One is diesel and the other is petrol but i can say for sure that Elantra is better than Cedia in all terms other than looks. Forget doing 0-100 with Elantra, it will smoke the cedia. Sorry ROC No offense intended but u need to accept the facts.

Last edited by kpzen : 2nd August 2008 at 18:42.
Old 2nd August 2008, 20:07   #119
BHPian

I see quite a lot of passion on this thread especially from staunch neo-diesel folks! Before putting my views - I have driven all Petrol vehicles for last 20 years, now time for change and did consider diesel. Test drove both version of Fiesta, Verna and Magnum amongst other petrol only variants. And this is what I felt:

- Noise and Vibration: The diesels were better than what I had expected, but still I felt it perceivably more than the petrol variants. Good cabins on the new cars and with windows rolled up with a/c and music on in the city, it probably does not make a big difference. But I am not sure how well this will be over time say 3 years or 5 years (the time I expect to keep a car)
- Gear shifts and pickup: Again the diesels were better than expected, but still relative comfort is better with the Petrol
- City handling: The Petrol is way ahead
- Turbo effect: YES as someone has mentioned above; to take from 100 to 160, the turbo on new diesels is a definite positive.

Yes, FE versus maintenance as a criteria is an old school of thought, but still I do not think the diesels get to score more for driving or handling pleasure unless most of your driving is above 140 (I wish I could)!!
Old 2nd August 2008, 20:34   #120
BHPian

Oh this is going way off track.

I am here to say what I feel. Any day I love the early morning DI clatter over any other "purrrrr" sounding one. (Not being caustic). Mind you, I am not comparing any thing on black & white.

For me, It's not clatter, and it's not clanging, it's called MUSIC. I might like Jazz and you might like soft rock. Be warned, if you continue to drive diesels, you are doomed to the same affliction as myself, music.

Enjoy your diesels, Enjoy your Music...

Cheers,
Jai

Most Viewed