Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:18   #121
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

ROC: I don't intend to start an argument here but since u have brought the Cedia topic i would like to share my views. I have driven both Cedia and Elantra many times, both cars are fantastic in their own respect. One is diesel and the other is petrol but i can say for sure that Elantra is better than Cedia in all terms other than looks. Forget doing 0-100 with Elantra, it will smoke the cedia. Sorry ROC No offense intended but u need to accept the facts.
Someone had to say it.

Old 3rd August 2008, 09:35   #122
BHPian

I bought the Swift CRDi for the main reasons like Awesome power and Great handling , Good FE and low running costs.
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:22   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Why dont we just start a poll the results will be there for everyone to see.
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:50   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

The best part about diesels is you can shortshift at 2000rpm and still the car will fly like its in second or third gear in some petrol car,bad part is however it can run out of revs in middle of a corner so a diesel needs better planning before entering a corner.
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:55   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Cedia topic i would like to share my views. I have driven both Cedia and Elantra many times, both cars are fantastic in their own respect. One is diesel and the other is petrol but i can say for sure that Elantra is better than Cedia in all terms other than looks. Forget doing 0-100 with Elantra, it will smoke the cedia. Sorry ROC No offense intended but u need to accept the facts.
i drive a elantra diesel and i have driven cedia lots of times what i have to say is elantra cannot beat cedia in 0-100 or maybe quarter mile but is better in most other aspects.
Old 3rd August 2008, 16:30   #126
BHPian

Call me prejudiced - I never thought I'd write so highly about diesel cars

Swift VDi is a dream to drive - I had complained about the noise in one of the previous threads, but the car was a hoot to drive. I never thought I'd prefer that to Ford Ikon for long drives (I am not at all bringing the cost of fuel into the picture while making this comparison)

PS:- I said it 'was' a hoot to drive because the car was involved in an accident and was scrapped - My next car is a diesel for sure! (Unless something like 10th Gen Lancer decides to drop by)
Old 3rd August 2008, 16:36   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The best part about diesels is you can shortshift at 2000rpm and still the car will fly like its in second or third gear in some petrol car,bad part is however it can run out of revs in middle of a corner so a diesel needs better planning before entering a corner.

Do you really think so ?? Considering that you have 3 deisels, you would know how to handle a deisel for sure . In a deisel one does not need to keep up the revvs as in a petrol, coz the torque would see you thru the corners without any problem, right ?

In any case a deisel does pick up revvs & (more importantly) torque even on lower RPM's . I am not really sure I get what you mean.

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2008, 20:58   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Or a SwiftD.... The city drivability is just amazing. Very less gear changes required.

A Qualis is even more interesting. I could take most chennai U turns on 3rd gear, without touching the clutch and at low speeds. A MM540 is almost like an automatic in the city.
Honda, please give us your i-DTEC!!!!
Please add Innova to the list, arguably would come up all the way at the top in terms of driveability, can accelerate from very low speeds even in 2nd and 3rd gear, very little gear shift required even in slow moving city traffic.
Then there are possibilities of adding Tuning boxes and Remaps which further enhance driveability.
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:47   #129
BHPian

the swift diesel is as powerful as the i10 kappa!!!both having same displacement
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:52   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
Do you know how many dark side threads you will see on this forum if many people try to increase the power output on all their petrols by similar amounts
Actually, a little birdie told me something about an Elantra being fantastically modified, with brand new technology like oil-filled intercoolers etc. I was waiting to hear about this, but it seems to have vanished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Dude, diesels are dead until they hit their turbo-powerband. Like the Swift D will only fly once the turbo kicks in at 2000 plus rpm. And yes, you're right, you do need to plan when you enter a corner with a diesel. You can't depend on revs to get you out.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:58   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
I bought the Swift CRDi for the main reasons like Awesome power and Great handling , Good FE and low running costs.
1248cc ,75bhp and 190Mn of torque and you call this "awesome" power?.
Old 4th August 2008, 00:19   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Why dont we just start a poll the results will be there for everyone to see.
What will a poll achieve? It's about ones preference. Some prefer torque, other revs. I am in the 2nd group. I am just back from a weekend drive to D'Dun and all I can say is that even my WagonR gives me the thrill. Revv it to 5.5K and it sounds great. Ofcourse I dont do that often but when I do I enjoy every single note of it's sound track.

I think it also depends on driving style. I have two modes of driving - sedative & race. Sedative is 60 in 5th with engine revving at ard 2K. Race is rev rev rev till I hit 5.5K in each gear and till I reach 100kmph. Then calm myself down saying it's too dangerous to go beyond 100 and drive at 80-90kmph in 5th (on highways).

I might buy a diesel for practicality but will convert when I see a diesel super-car being launched. (say a ferrari diesel - do those two words even go together?) It's only then I will believe that diesel is truly at par with petrol. That's my take on this matter.
Old 4th August 2008, 01:00   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I... will convert when I see a diesel super-car being launched. ... It's only then I will believe that diesel is truly at par with petrol. That's my take on this matter.
Fear Not ! Salvation is at hand

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th August 2008 at 01:09.
Old 4th August 2008, 01:14   #134
Senior - BHPian

Diesel supercar is no big prob. As long as it's "FI" it will be powerful. It's the "NA" class, diesels fear the most.

So while there are many FI diesel race cars, getting diesels into F1, A1Gp, GP2 and the lot maynot be possible since they don't allow FI.

Shan2nu
Old 4th August 2008, 08:36   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Quite cool. Now only thing to find out is how good is it's sound track. Hope they get their hands on it in top gear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks