Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2008, 12:00   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Like the Swift D will only fly once the turbo kicks in at 2000 plus rpm.
Thought the DDiS's Turbo kicked in at 1800RPMs.
Old 4th August 2008, 12:36   #137
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Now only thing to find out is how good is it's sound track.
Valid point and +1 for the petrols here. A diesel engine will never sound as intoxicating as a nice petrol. Far from it actually.
Old 4th August 2008, 16:37   #138
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
1248cc ,75bhp and 190Mn of torque and you call this "awesome" power?.
its awesomer(sic) than any other petrol hatch that is currently available.
0-100 and roll on timings are better than all petrols in that class except the palio 1.6 and the swift petrol(maybe)
if the tuning box is added, it will be as fast to the ton as a 1.6 GTX(11 odd secs)
actually its not the power that is awesome- it is the torque.
Power is for petrol heads. torque is for real world driving.

@abhik-I can hear the DDiS' turbo whistle on quiet roads at 1800- the boost builds up and shoves you forward at 1900-2000.

and i agree that the soundtrack of a petrol is waaay nicer than a diesel.

Last edited by rippergeo : 4th August 2008 at 16:41.

Old 4th August 2008, 20:52   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
I bought the Swift CRDi for the main reasons like Awesome power and Great handling , Good FE and low running costs.
isnt the swift Diesel called a DDIS?!
Old 4th August 2008, 20:53   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
arre same thing man. same technology. commonrail.
Old 4th August 2008, 22:11   #141
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me, or anybody else feels the amount of money being spent has to do with how much more you can enjoy the acceleration without getting guilty pangs?[/quote]

I share the same feeling. When the diesel bill comes for the month does brings a smile on face.
Old 4th August 2008, 22:33   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
All the common rail diesels are of the same patent by Bosch, i.e. CRDI (Common Rail Direct Injection). Different manufacturers improvise on the CRDI and name whatever they want DICOR, CRDe, CRDi, or whatever. Finally it comes from the same mother patent of Bosch CRDI.
Old 5th August 2008, 07:05   #143
Senior - BHPian

DICOR is actually based on a delphi patent
Old 5th August 2008, 07:21   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
All the common rail diesels are of the same patent by Bosch, i.e. CRDI (Common Rail Direct Injection). Different manufacturers improvise on the CRDI and name whatever they want DICOR, CRDe, CRDi, or whatever. Finally it comes from the same mother patent of Bosch CRDI.
thanks for the info mate.
Old 5th August 2008, 08:07   #145
Senior - BHPian

Dude, diesels are dead until they hit their turbo-powerband. Like the Swift D will only fly once the turbo kicks in at 2000 plus rpm. And yes, you're right, you do need to plan when you enter a corner with a diesel. You can't depend on revs to get you out.[/quote]

@ v1p3r

I am sure we all (people who own or drive deisels) know where in the powerband diesels have their sweetspot.

No one would be naive enough to try & negotiate a corner at low RPM. Though downshifting before a corner maybe a good idea but it all depends which car one is driving.

No one in his right mind would drive an Indica & a Octavia the same way, would we ?

Cheers
Old 5th August 2008, 08:47   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Common rail for passenger cars was developed by Fiat, which due to their financial condition sold the tech to Bosch, and bosch developed in further.
All common rail diesel engines, whether made by Delphi-Tata(DICOR), or anybody else are actually based on bosch tech. Bosch licenses this technology to various other manufacturers
Old 5th August 2008, 10:23   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Research and development of common rail was done by Fiat group and later the design was sold to Robert Bosch. And Robert Bosch were the first one to patent common rail I guess. Common rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia After that too many patents of variants. I don't know much beyond that. Robert Bosch is supplier of over 75% of the common rail diesel technology. Yeah you are right, Delphi is also one of the supplier as I can see from the link. Thanks for the information.
Old 6th August 2008, 20:38   #148
BHPian

hi

You are right, DDIS swift is much easier to drive in the city yes we have to agree on the track Mtech petrol swift is 1sec quicker
but when compared DDis is always a better and wise buy
Old 6th August 2008, 23:32   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
From what I've gathered most modern diesels have that initial surge which makes them a pain to drive in city traffic since you've constantly press the clutch to control it. In bumper to bumper traffic, you still can't potter around like you can in a petrol without having to constantly use the clutch.
Perfect. This is a big big problem with my diesel Swift. Driving in bumper to bumper traffic is a real pain. Also the clutch is a tad harder than its petrol counterpart. Although it may prove to be a good highway car, it certainly is not great to drive a diesel in city conditions.
Old 7th August 2008, 14:38   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
Perfect. This is a big big problem with my diesel Swift. Driving in bumper to bumper traffic is a real pain. Also the clutch is a tad harder than its petrol counterpart. Although it may prove to be a good highway car, it certainly is not great to drive a diesel in city conditions.
I will beg to differ! I drive an Indigo LX which hasn't got as good an engine of a Swift Vdi but still i dont feel any such problem in bumper to bumper traffic. I drive around delhi itself so there are quiet a few jams daily. Its just a question of getting used to the diesel part(though i must admit petrol is much better in such situations)

Most Viewed