Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2008, 11:46   #61
BHPian

all questions about Skoda outside mirrors should be directed to Sam. He's familiar!!
Old 2nd August 2008, 15:06   #62
BHPian

More robbery:

Skoda Genuine Accessories

Armrest Rs.12219

Clothes Hanger Rs.1251, which is essentially a piece of wire......
Old 2nd August 2008, 17:08   #63
BHPian

It is not Skoda's fault. Everything they sell here is just imported which probably more than doubles the price. If you reduce the prces by half to get the orgiginal price and sell it in the European market, the prices are perfect. For example, 50% of the prices quoted here will not pinch if paid in Euros right?

Maruti is in India for decades, they make everything in India and the quality too is maruti. Skoda simply makes better cars which have better parts, they are even better looking and ofcourse imported from Germany..expect to pay that much to not drive a Swift which is there in every IT companies or Banks parking lot by the hundreds, red in particular. Fabia is unique, solid, classy, an attention grabber, does not rattle like every Maruti does from Alto to Grand Vitara and most importantly it is not a swift. Dude c'mon, you are driving a german hatch. Period
Old 2nd August 2008, 19:34   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
It is not Skoda's fault. Everything they sell here is just imported which probably more than doubles the price. If you reduce the prces by half to get the orgiginal price and sell it in the European market, the prices are perfect. For example, 50% of the prices quoted here will not pinch if paid in Euros right?

Maruti is in India for decades, they make everything in India and the quality too is maruti. Skoda simply makes better cars which have better parts, they are even better looking and ofcourse imported from Germany..expect to pay that much to not drive a Swift which is there in every IT companies or Banks parking lot by the hundreds, red in particular. Fabia is unique, solid, classy, an attention grabber, does not rattle like every Maruti does from Alto to Grand Vitara and most importantly it is not a swift. Dude c'mon, you are driving a german hatch. Period

I thought Skodas were Czech.

Only in India Skodas are seen as a premium brand.

I happen to Drive a diesel Fabia and i dont think it is worth almost 2 lac over the Swift.
Old 2nd August 2008, 22:05   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda simply makes better cars which have better parts, they are even better looking and ofcourse imported from Germany..........Dude c'mon, you are driving a german hatch. Period
get your facts right. Skoda is not a German brand. Its a Czech brand. Its not a premium brand either. The only connection its got with Germany is that VW acquired it in '91. And if that makes it german - then hey - Jaguar is an Indian car

Quote:
Amazing explanation. Who stops them from building the parts locally? And why is it that cars like Civic has cheaper parts compared to Fabia. Hmmm.. lets see - i guess its Honda's fault they price it cheap.
Old 2nd August 2008, 23:31   #66
BHPian

Quote:

Wow that is the most BS post I have come across in a long time. Even though a Swift might rattle here and there, you can drive it happily knowing that you get good service for one of cheapest price - 5 lakh swift petrol/diesel is actually more powerful and enjoyable to drive than Fabia - which is woefully underpowered and costs 8+lakh (u can get a Fiesta Diesel or better yet an SX4 for that much and still have some change left)

Quote:
Skoda simply makes better cars which have better parts, they are even better looking and ofcourse imported from Germany
Maybe the wheel caps flew off because it was German Engineered and it was the best car available in India... And I know everyone in this forum is happy to sell their arms and kidneys to buy spare parts -- because "they are imported from germany"

Quote:
Fabia is unique, solid, classy, an attention grabber, does not rattle like every Maruti does from Alto to Grand Vitara and most importantly
Its unique because there is only a few handful of people have actually bought it and IT DOES NOT GRAB ATTENTION. Trust me -- I walked past a Silver one the other day and I only glanced at it because the owner put on some seriously blingy chrome alloy wheels. On road it does not stand out and it looks ugly with the skinny tyres

And Skoda copied heavily from the Swift to design the new Fabia. Come on, it only takes a three year old to point out the similarities -- blacked A&B pillars, the sloping window line and tons more..... Its a german swift (or Ceczh), but much less attractive. My Grandparent actually asked me if the Fabia was an "updated" Swift

Quote:
it is not a swift. Dude c'mon, you are driving a german hatch. Period
Im quite happy to drive 8 lakh, attention grabbing, underpowered, greman-ceczh hatchback that rips me off every time I take it to service

I was planning to buy a second hand Skoda Octavia -- I know I wont be doing that now after I read tis thread! Shame though, the Octavia was a good car.....
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:07   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Thes eEuropean car makers do not learn by past examples. Skods, Ford and Fiat have already earned a bad name for the high cost spares and quality of service. many of their very well built and popular models deserve to be in the top 10 car sales slot in India but have not made it due to their myopic vision on the spares and service front. Guess thats why an old (2001-2003 models)Ford Ikon sells for Rs 1.5 L and used Palios (3-4 years or more) are available for around Rs 1 L.
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:06   #68
BHPian

My post is destroyed...look at it..humiliated I am :-)

I see that everyone has completely disected and destroyed my post, well I apologize for the german thing... VW was in my mind all the time since they are anyways very similar. Great going. This thread just became even more interesting. Just a matter of time I guess, once they get volumes from India, and as time passes...they will make everything cheaper...
Old 4th August 2008, 00:00   #69
Senior - BHPian

Are the prices for spares for most of the European manufacturers high because of the tax structure that favors Indian auto makers?. There has to be a valid reason, because it defies common business logic.I'm curious.
Old 4th August 2008, 02:04   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Even in Europe we complain about the prices!
Old 4th August 2008, 03:26   #71
BHPian

Not surprising as Skoda is a premium brand in India and Fabia is a premium hatch in India.

One of the main reason why Maruti is selling so much because people find it is value for money
Old 4th August 2008, 04:33   #72
Senior - BHPian

Anjan,

Interesting post yours, but quite factually incorrect. Please check palio spares with swift. Palio is not (much) expensive by any remote stretch of imagination. Would suggest you don't repeat the age old story that is no longer valid.
Old 4th August 2008, 08:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see that everyone has completely disected and destroyed my post, well I apologize for the german thing...
dude - cheers for your spirit. cheers: No need to apologize for anything. everyone is entitled to their opinion and you have done nothing wrong.

Quote:
Just a matter of time I guess, once they get volumes from India, and as time passes...they will make everything cheaper...
its a catch22. Unless they make it cheaper, people wont buy it and they cant hit volumes. Fabia was supposed to be their volume car - look at where it is now.
Old 4th August 2008, 12:31   #74
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unless they make it cheaper, people wont buy it and they cant hit volumes.
The Octavia gave them relative volumes. Somehow, I still didn't see spare prices going down. Clutch job for 80,000? Flywheel replaced as a standard practice? You betcha.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:03   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Octavia gave them relative volumes. Somehow, I still didn't see spare prices going down. Clutch job for 80,000? Flywheel replaced as a standard practice? You betcha.
My friend got a quote for 80k for the fuel tank.

What is the point in saying i get good milage with my TDi Octavia and then getting a bill for 80 - 90k after 50,000km. Poof all your savings gone.

Most Viewed