Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2008, 15:40   #76
BHPian

Damn

I am so impressed with the Fabia & have taken several test drives. I was just about the finalize & saw this thread.

Man, if its gonna digg such big holes in my pocket then its really not my cup of tea cause anyways I was stretching my budget to go for it.

Now I think I should better wait for the 1st quarter of 2009 till the time they localize everything & come up with new prices of Spare parts.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:50   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Octavia gave them relative volumes. Somehow, I still didn't see spare prices going down. Clutch job for 80,000? Flywheel replaced as a standard practice? You betcha.

I believe each flywheel and clutch is mated as a pair. Thats why both need replacement when one wears off. A friend who managed to replace only the clutch from a third party workshop discovered that his car would inch forward even when the clutch pedal was fully depressed. He ultimately had to buy a full set and the problem vanished. He is now the proud owner of a clutch which is more or less useless.

As to why the flywheel and clutch have to be paired, I have no answer.
Bomi.
Old 4th August 2008, 16:16   #78
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend (with a big family) has Octavia from last few years, then he bought Laura 8 to 10 months back now around 1-2 month back he bought Fabia. Explain?
Old 4th August 2008, 17:32   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
I believe each flywheel and clutch is mated as a pair. Thats why both need replacement when one wears off.
Is that what they told you? Don't believe it. Several forum members (I think N_Crazy included) were quoted the flywheel charge in their clutch estimate. When they asked for a clarification, the service advisor remarked that it was *recommended* but NOT *required*. Obviously, many non-technical Octavia owners may have been milked dry.
Old 4th August 2008, 18:41   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
My friend got a quote for 80k for the fuel tank.

What is the point in saying i get good milage with my TDi Octavia and then getting a bill for 80 - 90k after 50,000km. Poof all your savings gone.

Mura, you hammered home the point
Old 4th August 2008, 19:27   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Not surprising as Skoda is a premium brand in India and Fabia is a premium hatch in India.

One of the main reason why Maruti is selling so much because people find it is value for money
You are right. YOu need to pay a huge premium to own it and maintain it.
Old 4th August 2008, 20:52   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
I believe each flywheel and clutch is mated as a pair. Thats why both need replacement when one wears off. A friend who managed to replace only the clutch from a third party workshop discovered that his car would inch forward even when the clutch pedal was fully depressed. He ultimately had to buy a full set and the problem vanished. He is now the proud owner of a clutch which is more or less useless.

As to why the flywheel and clutch have to be paired, I have no answer.
Bomi.
I think that's bull crap. If that is the case, shouldn't it be the same for all cars?? Why do other companies don't insist on flywheel replacement? I've owned a number of Jap & Korean cars & none of them ever needed a flywheel replacement at the time of clutch replacement.
Old 4th August 2008, 21:40   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Obviously, many non-technical Octavia owners may have been milked dry.
I guess not just with Skoda, I've noticed the Service Advisor bull'ting the owner in most service centers. A FORD S.A. explaining the finer details of tinkering a dent or Activa S.A. telling how it imp to throw a fork which is completely strait. Non tech guys get taken for a ride.
Either the S'Advisor is overly enthusiastic about put his training sessions to use ( assuming that the owner knows no more about the car than to drive and service it ) or is trying too increase the of the center's profit. Probably, Both.

Last edited by gendarmee : 4th August 2008 at 21:41. Reason: edited the censored part
Old 4th August 2008, 22:09   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
One of my friend (with a big family) has Octavia from last few years, then he bought Laura 8 to 10 months back now around 1-2 month back he bought Fabia. Explain?
A close family friend bought an Octy A/T, then a Laura DSG (which went terribly wrong every other day with AC not working/leakages etc.) which they've now sold last month after 2 years of usage, and bought a Superb!
Old 5th August 2008, 13:05   #85
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
I guess not just with Skoda, I've noticed the Service Advisor bull'ting the owner in most service centers.
Correct. But in this case, the clutch + flywheel replacement seems to be a uniform bill adjustment across all Mumbai Skoda workshops. Considering that its not required, have they collaborated a joint milking session?
Old 8th August 2008, 02:20   #86
Senior - BHPian

yaar makes me wonder what is that wheel cap made of some kind of all weather proof, heat/fire proof, and would never wear kind of plastic?

its the limit hud hai yaar.
Old 8th August 2008, 11:38   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Is Skoda company belongs to one of the relatives of H***** ?? Seems they are doing atrocities all over the world by overcharging price of parts of Skoda
I read, It was (VW) owned by governement now it is controlled by Fetrinand Porsch grand son of Porsch and his family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
yaar makes me wonder what is that wheel cap made of some kind of all weather proof, heat/fire proof, and would never wear kind of plastic?
We just need one with pot hole shock proof :-)

Last edited by TeddyBear : 8th August 2008 at 11:41.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:53   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post

We just need one with pot hole shock proof :-)

yaar it takes 20bucks to make it pot hole shock proof, our tavera and qualis suffer from this so we used self locking plastic tags like this in the pic, these are available in silver and black in the electrical shops usually used strap a bunch of wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Expensive Skoda Fabia parts. Plastic wheel cover @ 2,300 bucks!!-dsc01619.jpg  

Old 8th August 2008, 19:45   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
I guess not just with Skoda, I've noticed the Service Advisor bull'ting the owner in most service centers.
yup, me too some of them act as if they own the company,infact I have had a fight with a service advisor and almost went to court because of that
Old 8th August 2008, 22:46   #90
BHPian

this is too much mates...u can get a good set (4 wheels) of alloy wheels from reputed brands for the price it takes to buy 2 from Skoda!!

Most Viewed