Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 16:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

So how is looking at a map displayed on a GPS system any less distracting than a DVD playing on the video screen?

My CarPC front end software disables video playback when car is in motion. But for it to work, the GPS dongle should be on, so that motion detection is possible.

Seriously, I think Delhi Police has a deficiet budget and they are finding newer ways of making money without any rational thought process in framing the rules.

Last edited by spadival : 1st August 2008 at 16:21.
Old 1st August 2008, 16:32   #32
BHPian

Another good initiative on our Great Police Department's part but as usual it would get implemented without so much as basic level training. Its a really sad situation to see such a great idea not getting the momentum that it should. I remember when they had deployed breath analyzers in Kolkata to check for drivers driving under alcoholic infuence, one of the stupid cops had actually put the mask (into which you breathe) on my friend's chest (near the top pocket). It was all i could do to stop from laughing my guts out! And this was around 9:00 PM when we were entering Park Hotel to get sozzled! The idiot should have been waiting at the exit gate and catching the drunks instead of standing at the entry and catching the guys going in! There is literally no end to the level of stupidity that our great police force can get to. No personal offence but i am talking from experience here. Forum members are welcome to add some of their hilarious experiences here so that we may all get a good laugh. I can just imagine the outcome of this move where some smart cop (or so he thinks himself), probably in GK area would stop a car with a GPS screen and cut a challan to enforce this law. While i agree that this is the way the rules should be enforced but the least that can be done is some amount of training given to the cops, most of whom turn out to be ignorant about the whole deal itself!
Old 1st August 2008, 17:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
So every BMW 7 series / Merc S class owner need to pay a fine of Rs 300 every time they drive on the road?

Thankfully, this senseless rule seem to be limited to NCR.

AFAIK S class does not come with factory fitted DVD player in the front. Yes it comes with a Navigation system.

Last edited by sridhga : 1st August 2008 at 17:22.
Old 1st August 2008, 18:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

another funny rule. But somehow NCR has some strict enforcement. better to have a windscreen mounted GPS so can be removed.
Hyd had some strict rules on sun films and many were gagged. but nothing now. just a couple of weeks of hastle and everything is normal now.
Old 1st August 2008, 20:31   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
So how is looking at a map displayed on a GPS system any less distracting than a DVD playing on the video screen?
Thats why all GPSs should have TTS - only then will you not need to look at the screen that much.
Old 1st August 2008, 20:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

what about car that have rear view cameras.
Old 1st August 2008, 21:12   #37
BHPian

And what about those JVC HUs that have a screen built in? Are they allowed?
Old 1st August 2008, 21:29   #38
BHPian

and i was just planning to get one of those(jvc dvd HUs)
Old 1st August 2008, 22:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
more reason to make bribes!

300 rs official fine amount

100 rs unofficial fine (Bribe)

trust DP to come with new ways and ideas to make more bribe money.

jokes apart, when will all these rules implemented. im sick and tired of hearing about tinted windows, mobile phone while driving!

cheers:
LOL.. agreed. Ncr police has nothing else to do then post barricades and take bribe.
Was planning to buy a DVD HU which needs to be reviewed now!
Old 2nd August 2008, 00:13   #40
BHPian

Having your wife sitting next to you on the front drivers seat should be a Rs. 500 fine. Just think about the distraction.

Any family members on the back seat should be jail time. An accident could be caused by talking to them!

Old 2nd August 2008, 05:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well lets see how the enforcement goes. You cannot really argue against Delhi police. These fellows put 400rs fine on 81kmph(80kmph limit) when their equipment clearly says (+-5%)
And I think explaining its not a sunfilm is definitely easier than explaining a GPS. Still the poor chap got fined, and in the end had to go to media
One time I was challaned for 'overspeeding' at 66 kph. The legal speed limit for that road was 65kph!
Old 2nd August 2008, 09:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

One simple question - just having a LCD screen or a DVD player/screen on the dash or the front panel will attract the challan and fine or this will be done if found playing one?
Old 3rd August 2008, 16:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
One simple question - just having a LCD screen or a DVD player/screen on the dash or the front panel will attract the challan and fine or this will be done if found playing one?

I think to begin with they'd be challaning even if the player is not running (meaning if it is installed on the dash, period). That makes sense, coz if you have a screen chances are it'd be used.

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2008, 16:58   #44
BHPian

Firstly : How can these guys see so many offenses at the same time. They got to to see Seatbelt, sunfilm, mobile, loud music, number plates, smoking and now dvd too.

Secondly : Ever since i first saw a dvd screen on car, i think about 10 years ago, i knew these would get banned. But its taken them way too long to enforce such a law.
Don't think its gonna force people to stop seeing movies. People always find a way out.
Old 4th August 2008, 00:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

A good move!. The day police enforce the cell phone ban while driving will be the day i will feel comfortable driving on Indian roads. I'm really shocked to see educated people break the law with such impunity that it is a shame and poor reflection on us as a society. The thought that people will be watching a movie while at the wheel is even more horrifying . DVD screens should be strictly for rear passengers only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks