Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 02:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

DELHI: Rs 300 fine for DVD screens fitted on front panel of the car

Found this.. thought will be of some help to fellow members in Delhi who've got screens on the dash.

Quote:
Rs 300 fine for DVD screens fitted on front panel of the car

New Delhi, Jul 31 (PTI)

Remove the DVD screens fitted on the front panel of your car or be ready to pay a fine of upto Rs 300 in the national capital.

The Delhi Police is launching a special drive from tomorrow and if any cars were found with DVDs fitted on its front panel, they will be prosecuted under relevant sections of the Motor Vehicle Act of 1988.

The fine may extend to Rs 100 for the first offence and for second or subsequent offence it may extend up to Rs 300, a senior police official said.

PTI
Old 1st August 2008, 04:13   #2
BHPian

What about carPCs or GPS screens upfront?
Old 1st August 2008, 05:43   #3
BHPian

what if its a standard fitment ( i know this is not the case in 95% of time) but still what will they do ??
Old 1st August 2008, 06:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is absurd!... Absolutely ridiculous
Old 1st August 2008, 07:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Front panel na, whats wrong?
Old 1st August 2008, 09:51   #6
NIP
Senior - BHPian

guys just get a 'static' GPS map looking screen/image to flash at the cops !
Old 1st August 2008, 10:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Makes total sense to challan people running movies or any video on the front dash. When talking on cell phones can be dangerous, watching movies is sheer....an absolute no no.

Let's see how many people actually get challaned or will the cops just find another route to have warmer (&fatter) pockets

Wanna watch movies etc ? pls sit in the back seat, have your screen on the front seat headrest plug in your earphones & you are good to go. Let your driver do the driving in peace - without any "item numbers" making his eyes pop out every now & then.

Totally agree with the new law

Cheers
Old 1st August 2008, 10:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

again a case of the legal systems not being aware of technology. what about those dual din HUs with built in displays ?

Agreed the law being proactive is great but this is stupid as i am almost sure that the directive given to police personnel would have left things at this level of details, wherein the officer is left to interpret his own version of the directive. Leading to wide spread misuse.
Old 1st August 2008, 10:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

what next - Rs. 300 fine for audio players? and 500 for any GPS systems?
Old 1st August 2008, 10:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

Great decision. The front LCD panels are a disturbance and should not be allowed.

Now for the tough part, the implementation.
Old 1st August 2008, 10:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

So every BMW 7 series / Merc S class owner need to pay a fine of Rs 300 every time they drive on the road?

Thankfully, this senseless rule seem to be limited to NCR.
Old 1st August 2008, 10:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
again a case of the legal systems not being aware of technology.
You said it. Our laws and Govt. organisations are still stuck in the good old days of the Raj.
You'll be surprised to know, some of them don't even know the names of the cars sold in India. A cop once asked me about the details of my car and which country it was imported from. Furious at the fellows ignorance, I was about to say, "Afghanistan", but, I kept my cool. I told him it was the same model that the CM travels in and that it's very much "Made in India."
If these guys are so ignorant about the cars built and sold in our own land, you can't even imagine their plight when it comes to modern equipment. The exhaust pipes of many high end cars (BMWs, Porsches, Mercs, etc.) are of very high quality and well finished. Our diligent policemen are sure to stop you for "muffler modification".
Guys with touch screens, sat nav, etc., beware!
Old 1st August 2008, 11:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think the message is clear. It only says DVD screens, not GPS. But then, are VCD screens allowed then ?
Old 1st August 2008, 11:38   #14
Team-BHP Support

The message may say anything(DVD/VCD etc.,) but I expect cops to start challaning GPS users etc., too.
For example a guy was challaned for sun film even though his car did not have sun film. Reason? Indica comes with slightly tinted glasses(infact most cars have slightly tinted glasses)

So be prepared to haggle if you have a GPS system etc., installed
Old 1st August 2008, 12:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Okay, having a screen fitted on the front panel is now an offence. So, why dont the police educate the people of the risks involved in that and why dont they ask the shops which fit them to let the people know it is not legal? Why pass an obscure law? Just to rake the moolah !!! Actually, every time a driving licence/ registration certificate is issued/renewed, the RTA s should give out a booklet on all the current rules and laws. But the, if the people get to know the rules, then how can they slap fines and collect bribes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks