Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 08:55   #1
BHPian

Skoda plans cheaper 1.4L Octavia and High FE version of Fabia

NEW DELHI: Czech carmaker Skoda will introduce an all-new low-price "successor" to its Octavia sedan in the Indian market that would be priced below Rs 10 lakh and roll out its low-emission environment-friendly 'greenline' Fabia range, currently being sold in major European markets.

The company, a part of the Volkswagen group, has been making efforts to increase its share in India and wants to position its cars as a "lifestyle" brand, Thomas Kuehl, director at Skoda India, said.

Skoda made an entry into India in 2001, though restricting its run to luxury sedans like Octavia and Laura. However, it made a plunge into the hatchback segment early this year with Fabia.

Skoda sold 14,187 units in the last fiscal against domestic industry's volume of 12.03 lakh units. Kuehl said the new products would not be introduced in the volume segment, but would be loaded with style quotient. "We want to create products that are more niche."

Skoda also plans to get in the 'greenline' range, that sport engines which are less taxing on the environment but give higher fuel efficiency. The first greenline to be assembled in India could be on the Fabia, Kuehl said.

The Octavia successor, that will be out in one to three years, could sport the 1400cc petrol TSI and 1400cc TDI diesel engines. Currently, the luxury sedan comes strapped with a 1800cc petrol and 1900 diesel engine, and its on-road price is Rs 11.19 lakh (for petrol) and Rs 12.05-14.55 lakh (for diesel variants).

Skoda, that is eyeing sale of 20000 units in India this year, is also developing an all-new small car. "This would be out in three to five years and would be positioned below the Fabia, or in the Rs 3-5 lakh range," Kuehl said.

The company is also looking at launching its multi-purpose vehicle Roomster, apart from an estate version of the Fabia called Combi. Also in the pipeline is its SUV Yeti and the Octavia Scout (lifestyle, all-terrain version).

Source -- TimesofIndia.com
Old 5th August 2008, 10:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Does that mean that Octavia is gonna be in the market for another 3 years?
Old 5th August 2008, 10:21   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Does that mean that Octavia is gonna be in the market for another 3 years?
It could also be there for more than 3 years. I don't think they will phase out the Octavia so soon.
Old 5th August 2008, 10:31   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I thought the Fabia has already taken a liking for that colour, considering the amount of greens it requires from its owners!
Old 5th August 2008, 10:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

So this means that Skoda Octavia is not going out of market for atleast three years.
I wonder what will the Greenline cars cost. We all know about Fabia costs. I wonder what will happen then if they come up with more complex powerplants.

I doubt that 1.4 TSI petrol willl make it here. By that time they will already have 1.6 TSI. But the most important factor is fuel. These TSI engines require 95 Octane fuel and this means pure 95 octane and not just claimed.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Octavia successor, that will be out in one to three years, could sport the 1400cc petrol TSI
The 1.4 TSI Petrol? Is TOI sure about this? If not, we better sue them for misguiding us and for raising our expectations!

As for the Fabia greenline, what about price? 10 lacs? Is the greenline, the bluemotion by any chance?
Old 5th August 2008, 12:47   #7
BHPian

Read in some european wesbite that Skoda is giving a face lift to Octavia (in India) and must be out by 2009-2010 followed by the facelift for Laura. Fabia Greenline must be starting from Rs. 8 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
So this means that Skoda Octavia is not going out of market for atleast three years.
I wonder what will the Greenline cars cost. We all know about Fabia costs. I wonder what will happen then if they come up with more complex powerplants.

I doubt that 1.4 TSI petrol willl make it here. By that time they will already have 1.6 TSI. But the most important factor is fuel. These TSI engines require 95 Octane fuel and this means pure 95 octane and not just claimed.
Old 6th August 2008, 17:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Plans Fabia ‘greenline’ And Successor To Octavia

Yet another Car company planning to go Green . Skoda plans to launch the Fabia Greenline and Successor to Octavia. Octavia is expected to get the 1.4 P & D! Seem s like it ll be the Fabia Sedan since it ll be priced below 10 lacs.

Quote:
“Go Green” seems to be the mantra everywhere and even the auto manufacturers don’t want to miss the bus this time around. Honda recently launched the Civic Hybrid in the Indian market and has also announced plans of bringing in its Prius Hybrid, now its the turn of Czech carmkaer Skoda to join the green brigade.
The company will launch its envronment friendly, low emission ’greeline’ range of cars in India. The car is currently being sold in major European markets. The ‘greenline’ range features aerodynamic enhancements for better air flow around the car which reduce drag and hence . The standard 1.4 litre TDI engine in the standard Fabia is also retuned for fuel efficiency and lower carbon emissions in the ‘greenline’ range.

According to official website UK, the ‘greenline’ can achieve an impressive 69 mpg while producing only 109 g/km of CO2. The ‘greenline’ range will debut in India with the Fabia and then on to other models from and Skoda, according to Thomas Kuehl, Director Skoda India.
The company is also planning to increase its sales in the Indian market which stood at 14,187 units in the last fiscal and for that the company is planning to launch a successor to its Octavia sedan which would be priced below 10 lakh rupees. The Octavia successor would be out in one to three years and could sport a 1400cc TSI petrol and a 1400cc TDI Kuehl said the new products would not be introduced in the volume segment, but would be loaded with style quotient. “We want to create products that are more niche.”
Skoda, that is eyeing sale of 20000 units in India this year, is also developing an all-new small car. “This would be out in three to five years and would be positioned below the Fabia, or in the Rs 3-5 lakh range,” Kuehl said.
The company is also looking at launching its multi-purpose vehicle Roomster, apart from an estate version of the Fabia called Combi. Also in the pipeline is its SUV Yeti and the Octavia Scout (lifestyle, all-terrain version).
Source : Cubic Capacity

Last edited by karanraheja : 6th August 2008 at 17:19.
Old 7th August 2008, 09:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Apparently the Fabia greenline is dreary to drive. Tall gearing, strangled engine makes it no fun
Old 7th August 2008, 18:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Greenline is Skoda speak for VW's Bluemotion. Low RR tires, aero kit, tall gearing and engine calibration.

Looks like the Octavia is here to stay for a good 4 years at least with new sheetmetal. Typical VW strategy seen all over the world.
Old 7th August 2008, 18:19   #11
BHPian

Looks like I have been given the incorrect information - I was told that the Octavia has "already stopped" being produced in India as they are coming out with a facelift/ new version soon.
Old 8th August 2008, 10:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think 1.4 tsi engine will come to india ,it requires higher octane petrol to support the higher compression ratio.
Old 8th August 2008, 12:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senindra View Post
Looks like I have been given the incorrect information - I was told that the Octavia has "already stopped" being produced in India as they are coming out with a facelift/ new version soon.
Octavias production is still going on, but its being trumped by Laura in sales. So there's a plan to brin on the face lifted Octavia once the new Superb is launched.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Simultaneously, skoda is asking dealers to push by Octavia sales by offering discounts[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 27th August 2008, 11:34   #14
BHPian

Fabia Sport/Greenline/Combi 1.9 PD

Guys,

Came across this nice cover article in the Aug 31st issue of Autobild India.

The dope:

1. Fabia Sport - 1.9 TDi PD of the Laura, 16 inch alloys, the ubiquitous go-fast 'body kit' bits

2. Fabia Greenline - the currrent 1.4 TDi PD tweaked to 24.4 Kmpl through tuning, underbody aerodynamics, weight reduction

3. Fabia Combi - an Estate - 20 kg heavier than the hatch, a better ride, 1.9 TDi PD of the Laura. And, get this, estimated price of 7 lakhs!

The Sport excites me terribly. Post Pete's treatment, it might just be the country's hottest hatch by miles.

Any news on the pricing/tentative launch dates - they don't get a mention in the magazine.
Old 27th August 2008, 14:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the ubiquitous go-fast 'body kit' bits
I hate that stuff: enough to put me off the car completely.

Looks like if I'm going to get excited about anything there It'll have to be the combi, then.

Most Viewed