Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 09:59   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Just apply your theory to electronics/PCs/Gizmos/Phones etc and you will realize how silly your post is.
Hi Deepak!

I don't consider Pavan's post to be silly. He has a genuine reason to feel cheated. I am sure he will leave the thoughts soon, start enjoying his car and even may appreciate Hyundai for some other reasons. It is actually your logic of applying the same theory to electronics/PCs/Gizmos/Phones is really silly. The markets of electronics and cars completly differ. It is not just about the costs. I don't have much attachment with my phone or jeans, and don't mind throwing them out and get new ones after a few months, but please don't suggest me doing that with cars. Lot of people have a great attachment with their cars and even small and simple things make them feel cheated.

Regards,
Mohan.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:38   #47
BANNED

Hyundai should release another advertisement immediately - with Preity Zinta claiming that her (sensible) choice is the 1.1 and more power is for silly boys (e.g. Shah Rukh Khan) and their obsession for more power.

The ad will be a hit and the 1.1 will then become a ladies' car - prompting more outburst.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Your thread title suggests that Hyundai has banished you - they will never sell you a car again.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:56   #49
BHPian

penpavan, what are you not happy with?? the AD or the car?? One does get higher mileage and higher power but one does have to shell out more money. It is not like they have replaced 1.1 with 1.2 at same price points. yes they didn't offer 1.2 from starting but its not their fault. The car was ready then but not the engine. Would you accept an incompletely tested engine being sold to you (something we crib about TATA) and you becoming the test mule??
Old 26th August 2008, 14:12   #50
BHPian

As it has been pointed out several times in this thread, you feel the diffrence of Kappa only on highways and doesnt make much difference in daily driving. Also it is still cant match the Swift in fun to drive factor.

As for the ad, hyundai always used the million/billion dollors spent gimmik for marketing. I remember when Accent was launched the ad read somting like "the 1.2 billion dollars car"

So, dont feel cheated and enjoy your ride.
Old 26th August 2008, 14:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

They should have powered the Magna by 1.1 and should have reserved the 1.2 for Asta and Sportz. That way, the Magna 1.1 guys wouldn't have felt much cheated. Because if they were power-hungry, they would have bought the Palio/Swift/Getz. Also the mistake now is, there isn't much difference in price(~8-10K) between 1.1Magna and 1.2Magna. They should have priced it atleast 25K apart. But that would have made the Sportz and Asta more costlier.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 26th August 2008 at 14:24.
Old 26th August 2008, 20:04   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
Hi Deepak!

He has a genuine reason to feel cheated. Lot of people have a great attachment with their cars and even small and simple things make them feel cheated.

Regards,
Mohan.
You REALLY think he has a genuine reason to feel 'cheated'?

Quote:
Cheating is an act of lying, deception, fraud, trickery, imposture, or imposition. Cheating characteristically is employed to create an unfair advantage, usually in one's own interest, and often at the expense of others.
So tell me - how has Hyundai cheated him?

Just because you are attached to your car there should be no modifications, changes etc is it?
Old 26th August 2008, 20:36   #53
BHPian

There are 2 sides to the coin: -

1. The pratical side : - well, a lot of people have been talking about disclaimers from car manufacturers about product improvement. I feel this is correct as Hyundai has to compete with other car manufacturers and earn money. car manufacturers normally have "facelifts" and upgrade technology to increase plc's (product life cycle).
2. the emotional side:- As penpavan says, he bought the i-10, because it was a new car- so it made him feel good, that he is driving the latest technology. now after the kappa engine launch he feels ignored by hundai, because he paid a premium over existing cars (in the same range)- to buy something new.

@penpavan- these things should not bother you much- enjoy your i-10, kappa or no kappa.
Old 26th August 2008, 21:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
You REALLY think he has a genuine reason to feel 'cheated'?

So tell me - how has Hyundai cheated him?

Just because you are attached to your car there should be no modifications, changes etc is it?
Deepak!

"He feels cheated" is a different from saying that "He was cheated". I don't see any point in arguing with him on whether he was cheated or not. All I am saying is that markets and customer psychology differ for cars and electronics, and he is not silly by any means.

Regards,
Mohan.
Old 26th August 2008, 23:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
Deepak!

"He feels cheated" is a different from saying that "He was cheated". I don't see any point in arguing with him on whether he was cheated or not. All I am saying is that markets and customer psychology differ for cars and electronics, and he is not silly by any means.

Regards,
Mohan.
Mohan, I am really glad that you read my post in its real spirit. Not by picking arguments on the words used.

Last edited by penpavan : 26th August 2008 at 23:29.
Old 26th August 2008, 23:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
This way, you can't buy any product!
The Honda Civic sells at $15k + in USA(roughly Rs.7 Lakhs) and is a entry level model there. Here it is a 'luxury car' selling at 14 lakhs!! So shall I Say, shun you Honda?
Actually, yes, I think we should shun Honda. And any other manufacturer who prices their vehicles at double international prices, despite being manufactured in India. The way the current car market stands, that would include ALL German/ Czech manufacturers in India, alongwith a few Honda's & Toyotas.

Hyundai and Maruti, however, should not be shunned at all. If you feel cheated, it's your own fault for not reading about the new engines in the automotive press. I've known about the 1.2L engine AND the diesel motor for a while. I didn't know when they'd launch, I just knew they would soon.

Before you try to point a finger, look in the mirror.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:07   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
But my point was just this. An upgrade just 7 months of a launch of a fully new car was not necessary. Dont make products outdated so fast. I always believed upgrades should happen either when a product is not selling well, or the design/specs are getting outdated. This is just my thought.
Pavan, like others said already, forget that there is a 1.2 and enjoy your 1.1.

If you want to feel good, think about this: BMW introduced 325 in 2006 with the new body style. A year later, they discontinued the 2.5L engine in the 325 and introduced the 3.0L 328i with 20 more horsepower and lot more oomph. The price hike was'nt much, may be $100. People who bought the 325i still enjoyed their cars and I am sure many of them bought newer BMW's after the expiration of their lease.

Mercedes is going to do the same thing with its C class, they will introduce newer engines in a year or so.
Old 30th August 2008, 19:32   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Actually, yes, I think we should shun Honda. And any other manufacturer who prices their vehicles at double international prices, despite being manufactured in India. The way the current car market stands, that would include ALL German/ Czech manufacturers in India, alongwith a few Honda's & Toyotas.
yeah, I realised that I had raised a fairly legitimate point there. But it depends on point of view, I guess. When the guy across my cabin, on having purchased a Honda Civic, walks with a certain air of "I-Have-Arrived-in-Life", it is clear that the product fulfills a need here. You and me, of course, will have a different perspective - but,'what do they of life know, who only cars know?'
Quote:
Hyundai and Maruti, however, should not be shunned at all.
Look, no one is a Caesar's wife here. Everbody ultimately runs a business. When Baleno was not selling, Maruti was quick to discount the product from 9 L levels to 7 L levels. Buyers who had paid a couple of lacs more would have certainly felt cheated. I am sure we can find come stories on Hyundai as well.
That is why it is always 'buyers beware' and a forum like this does a good job of disseminating useful information.
Old 30th August 2008, 20:25   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Hyundai should release another advertisement immediately - with Preity Zinta claiming that her (sensible) choice is the 1.1 and more power is for silly boys (e.g. Shah Rukh Khan) and their obsession for more power.

The ad will be a hit and the 1.1 will then become a ladies' car - prompting more outburst.
haha really nice concept of ads.

See, the problem with Hyundai is these fools are full of surprises.

They never Hype anything, their future is full of surprises. You never know what these guys gonna deliver next.

I must appriciate they are becoming aggressive for i10 segment.

Guys, what's the big deal in it?
Accent wasnt introduced in 1.5L SOHC and 1.6L DOHC ver. ? lolz i think both the car gives almost the same mileage.

Thank god they are not introducing different models with the same engines they are upgrading their technology. So, whats the harm with it.

i10 1.1L being cheaper than i10 1.2L, i don't think they did something wrong.

atleast they havnt introduced Accent GLS 1.6L engine in the current Petrol Verna which other company do, introducing different cars with same engine and people are still happy using same old engines in new cars haha.

They always upgrades, not matter if it is Verna or Elantra or Sonata or i10.

I know its a bit dissapointing for the i10 1.1L owners, that they can afford to buy 1.2L kappa and they missed their chance to drive a DOHC block in a small car.

Last edited by Gangsta : 30th August 2008 at 20:31.
Old 1st September 2008, 16:24   #60
BHPian

LOL we have the good old maruti with the same wagon R engine doing the duty in estilo and the old alto vx. Ditto for swift and dzire. SO whats the big deal here. atleast hyundai gave a different engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks