Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 18:35   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Well, 35 litres is max reccomended by company. Higher filling is not reccomended since it leaves no gap for air to circulate inside the tank and allowing static electricity to build up more.
Can you elaborate? i always fill tank till the auto stop kicks in. i never faced any problems.
Old 9th September 2008, 08:46   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Just wanted to know this from other Hyundai i10 users - Does your i10 fuel tank accommodate 40 litres??? I have the 1.1 engine and though the manual states the fuel tank capacity at 35 litres, I have filled in 40 litres on several occasions. Heck! I think even 45 litres might go in as I have put in 42 litres once.

DO let me know...
I don't think the problem is with the car's fuel gauge. I think the problem is with the calibration of the petrol pump where you filled up your tank. Or to put it plainly, you were cheated...... I can understand 1 or 2 litres more but 7 litres more is really stretching it too far. Next time you go to the same pump, you can probably catch them cheating.

Krishnan
Old 9th September 2008, 08:48   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Just wanted to know this from other Hyundai i10 users - Does your i10 fuel tank accommodate 40 litres??? I have the 1.1 engine and though the manual states the fuel tank capacity at 35 litres, I have filled in 40 litres on several occasions. Heck! I think even 45 litres might go in as I have put in 42 litres once.

DO let me know...
I don't think the problem is with the fuel gauge. I think the problem is with the calibration of the petrol pump where you filled up your tank. Or to put it plainly, you were cheated...... I can understand 1 or 2 litres more but 7 litres more is really stretching it too far. Next time you go to the same pump, you can probably catch them cheating.

Krishnan
Old 10th September 2008, 13:38   #79
BHPian

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Hyundai have really cheated the people who bought the 1.1 I10.
I just happened to see their 1.2 ltr car ad, where SRK tries to prove that more power is not less mileage. I dont know how true that is. But I certainly felt being cheated, since I am one of the first few owners of 1.1.

Let us go by principle. Let us for a moment believe that what Hyundai says is true. Kappa is more power and no less mileage.

Hence it is apt to conclude that according to Hyundai, Kappa is _the_ car one should own. It has more power. And it has more mileage.

Can they come up with any reason why a person should buy 1.1? No! Whatever you want in an I10, kappa is the one! [Mileage+power and interiors being more or less same in both versions]

After seeing Hyundai's vindication of a perfect I10 as kappa, I wonder what good is 1.1? I mean what good it is? Why should one buy it? And should the people who bought it only regret? For no mistake of theirs, they have a car which has an old engine, less power and now the Hyundai asks people to buy a new one with new engine, more power, and same mileage as the one they already have! Why should i not be dejected?

If the price difference is the reason enough they say, then heck, you established that 1.1 is inferior.

Shun you Hyundai. I shall never buy a Hyundai again.[/quote]

I would suggest you to read the TD report by BSM reporter: Drives - Ahead of its time - Business Standard Motoring
"I struggled to give a logical explanation because no matter, we Indians stereotypically have assumed that waiting a couple of years for a facelift, or an engine upgrade is the norm. Anything "before time" is viewed with suspicion, followed by questions like "Are sales slowing down?" "Is the company shutting down?"

But then the i10 is not your stereotypical car and its sales success is not another cliché. So to keep a good thing going, Hyundai developed another engine, the 1.2-litre Kappa........"
I liked this article
Old 9th November 2008, 13:04   #80
mxx
BHPian

my thoughts about this
1) 1.1 is not outdated because they still sell it (except for the magna 1.1, which is stopped). Technically speaking it cant be called an upgrade since the old one is still in sale.
2) Price difference between the 1.1 and 1.2? yes the difference is only 7k between 1.1 and 1.2 magna but as already mentioned above 1.1 magna is no more. Rest of the trims have reasonable difference in pricing. So, ultimately what is going to be the deciding factor for the customer is the price.
3) The only problem with i10 in my opinion is the pricing of the top end "asta 1.2" which is too close to swift Zxi. Given a choice I would any day go for a swift. 14" alloys, bigger engine, little bit more let room in the rear are reasons y i would opt for zxi instead of asta, not because there is anything wrong with i10 itself.

hyundai is not my fav brand. but I really appreciate them for introducing a better engine, even when their existing 1.1 was selling good. Far cry from what we are used to, specially from Maruti, 3 models with same done to death engines etc.

Last edited by mxx : 9th November 2008 at 13:09.
Old 9th November 2008, 13:25   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
my thoughts about this

hyundai is not my fav brand. but I really appreciate them for introducing a better engine, even when their existing 1.1 was selling good. Far cry from what we are used to, specially from Maruti, 3 models with same done to death engines etc.
Well what would be the problem with old but proven technology?
1.2 Kappa might be new but we dont know anything about its long term performance,stability,problems etc! How do we know it wont throw surprises after 30k KM or 50k KM etc?
Old 15th November 2008, 15:54   #82
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well what would be the problem with old but proven technology?
1.2 Kappa might be new but we dont know anything about its long term performance,stability,problems etc! How do we know it wont throw surprises after 30k KM or 50k KM etc?
might go a bit OT now, but hope it proves the point.

well, you see it is a problem with mindset. outside India the models are changed frequently, not just facelifts, but also new engines. No is suspicious about the cars or its engines. This old proven/tried and tested stuff is BS. As someone said in another post if we only wanted tried and tested, then we would be having only ambassadors, premiers, and 800s. Technologies change, better research, better products should come out. That is the way it should be.

I remember a lot of negative comments when qualis was replaced by innova, in these forums itself. Inspite of being out dated, qualis was selling good numbers. Toyota could have followed the mitsubishi path by selling generations old lancer and pajero in India. Instead it chose not to make this market a dumping ground for old technologies and models. So, it stopped qualis and introduced innova. That shows commitment to the market. I am not a toyota fan either(except for their SUVs).

We complain about manufacturers dumping old technologies in India. But if every one is having such a mindset, then can we blame the manufacturers.
Old 15th November 2008, 16:36   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
might go a bit OT now, but hope it proves the point.

well, you see it is a problem with mindset. outside India the models are changed frequently, not just facelifts, but also new engines. No is suspicious about the cars or its engines. This old proven/tried and tested stuff is BS. As someone said in another post if we only wanted tried and tested, then we would be having only ambassadors, premiers, and 800s. Technologies change, better research, better products should come out. That is the way it should be.

I remember a lot of negative comments when qualis was replaced by innova, in these forums itself. Inspite of being out dated, qualis was selling good numbers. Toyota could have followed the mitsubishi path by selling generations old lancer and pajero in India. Instead it chose not to make this market a dumping ground for old technologies and models. So, it stopped qualis and introduced innova. That shows commitment to the market. I am not a toyota fan either(except for their SUVs).

We complain about manufacturers dumping old technologies in India. But if every one is having such a mindset, then can we blame the manufacturers.
Good point. The only problem is its not valid to compare with west. You see the customer support there is unimaginably better than what companies provide here in India. Its easy to introduce just about anything but you also gotta provide after sales service! In this case introducing new engine would mean providing parts to every corner of the country, training all the service personnel, etc etc. Actually probably thats why its easier for companies like Honda or Toyota who have limited presence to upgrade etc. Its tough for companies like Maruti and Hyundai for same reasons! Also people wud be forced to go to dealer/auth service station only and they can charge you anything they like.

I can also argue the quality levels of most products have only gone down in recent years (though technologically they have become more advanced). I remember my first mobile phone (a Sony J-series, 2000 model) lasted 6 years without a single malfunction! But now I have to change every year (or two years max). Similarly our first refrigerator gave us good 20 years which we changed recently. The new one (less than 1 yr old) has already gone for repair once! It is a very general (and perhaps valid) perception in India that things used to last better in old days! More technology can also mean more problems!

Anyway, I'm just being a devil's advocate here Manufacturers are welcome to lauch new products but they also need to pull their socks up and provide better after sales.
Old 16th November 2008, 16:32   #84
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I can also argue the quality levels of most products have only gone down in recent years (though technologically they have become more advanced). I remember my first mobile phone (a Sony J-series, 2000 model) lasted 6 years without a single malfunction! But now I have to change every year (or two years max). Similarly our first refrigerator gave us good 20 years which we changed recently. The new one (less than 1 yr old) has already gone for repair once! It is a very general (and perhaps valid) perception in India that things used to last better in old days! More technology can also mean more problems!
That is the case with electronics because the technology changes so rapidly that no one is going to keep these things for long. So, there is no point in increasing the cost with high quality components since the user is not thinking(majority of them) of long term perspective.
BTW, in case of electronics it is the same all over the world. the quality is down everywhere.
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:09   #85
Senior - BHPian

I think kappa was introduced for the following reasons (Purely my opinion):

1. Toughened Emission norms necessitated a new engine.
2. Popularity of Auto Transmission in the west demanded a new engine that has high torque at a higher rpm (needed a more revving engine for auto-transmission)
3. When the engine was planned to be introduced in the West, it made sense to introduce in India too.
4. Manual transmissions in India with the new engine meant less mileage. To overcome this, the gear ratio was adjusted. The car may not pull at low rpm, but customers would be happy with a better mileage anyway.
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:19   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some time back I read in an Auto Magazine that the Qualis was stopped because of the 'threat' from the more fuel-efficient Tavera (mileage being the biggest concern for fleet operators). The article said that Toyota wanted to pull off Qualis before the sales dip and affect the company's reputation. I am not able to recollect which Auto Magazine featured this article.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 22nd June 2010 at 12:21.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:51   #87
Senior - BHPian

I think both the IRDE and kappa engines have their roles. IRDE is a SOHC and feels more peppy in the lower range and lower-to-mid range. Kappa being DOHC feels better in the midrange to top end. So.. it depends, if most of the driving is going to be in the city then I guess irde is better than kappa. If most of the driving is going to be on highways on very high speeds then kappa is better.

Kappa develops its peak torque at 4000rpm, whereas IRDE delivers it at 2800rpm itself, which is very reachable in everyday driving. 4000rpm is difficult to reach in everyday city driving. I guess thats the reason IRDE feels better to drive in the city without so many gear shifts.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:05   #88
Senior - BHPian

Could you please tell me at what speed (km/hr) in 5th gear does the kappa engine achieve 4000 rpm?
In my cielo, even 100 km/hr is below 3000 rpm.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 22nd June 2010 at 15:06.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:52   #89
Senior - BHPian

I have purchased i10 1.1 even after the kappa engine was introduced. Reasons being:
- My budget didn't allow for kappa variant
- My usage is mostly within the city
- I prefer a proven and successful engine
- Hyundai's claim of better FE in kappa engine is not really true for city driving conditions

I have never regretted my decision of purchasing i10 1.1 iRDE.

My colleague owns i10 kappa and I drive it regularly. The kappa engine is definitely more refined as compared to the iRDE, but needs to be revved high to extract power. (It doesn't suit my driving style)

i10 kappa does spring in the first gear, but after that, iRDE pulls better all the way upto the 5th gear.

The only area in which kappa really outshines the iRDE is that there is minimal loss of power with the AC on. iRDE gets a bit sluggish with the AC on.

Also the gearshift in kappa variants is butter smooth. The iRDE variants do not have the same slick gearshift.

Rohan
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:55   #90
Senior - BHPian

OT: I absolutely love the engine note of the kappa.

Most Viewed