Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 11:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

"Bring Subbu back. Pay him the heaven he demands or you'll start tasting hell soon."

I hear BVR Subbu is now busy setting up a car and UV making plant near Hyderabad. He tied up with Lokesh Machines and they may launch their vehicle late next year. Status of the plant is not known to me. But the company, named MLR Motors, has already selling its Teja brand diesel three wheelers.

Last edited by simplyself : 6th August 2008 at 11:13.
Old 6th August 2008, 11:18   #17
BHPian

I think that the 1.2L engine had its rightful place in the Getz Prime. They should have discontinued the 1.1 and 1.3L as one is under-powered for a car like getz and the other is arguably less economical.
Old 7th August 2008, 00:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
So whats really the point of 1.2 ?
I guess its aimed at people who hate the Swift. There are quite a few of them who hate its looks.
Old 7th August 2008, 11:01   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
AviatoR : I think that the 1.2L engine had its rightful place in the Getz Prime.
My thoughts, exactly. A car in a lower /smaller category having a better engine than it's more expensive sibling ? Bad idea.
Old 7th August 2008, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
I bought i10 magna this march, few months dwon i10 kappa is out. I somehow feel cheated by hyundai for bringing out a new version to already new car.
I know what you mean. Of course, I bought an i10 1.1 magna just 15 days before the kappa launch, knowing fully well about the launch, since my parents requirements were completely different. Well, as far as city driving goes, there should be absolutely no difference, so no sweat. Probably, the highway performance would be better - which was not important for me.
[b]
Quote:
AviatoR : I think that the 1.2L engine had its rightful place in the Getz Prime
Quote:
My thoughts, exactly. A car in a lower /smaller category having a better engine than it's more expensive sibling ? Bad idea.
No, I think it is once again smart positioning from Hyundai, riding on the i10 wave. Getz hasn't done well against swift and is probably on the way out - to be replaced by i20. There is no point investing more on Getz. i10 Kappa is a smart flank attack on the swift, while at the same time dangling a tantalising carrot at customers who are looking at Wagon R/Zen estilo, urging them to 'upgrade'. It should eat away customers from both segments( and of course, cannibalize Getz a bit as well - but Getz is not doing too well).
I, for one, would be watching the sales charts in the coming months with a lot of interest. Will Swift take a bit of a hit? Will i10 sales overcome the Wagon R(or the new launch Splash?). Well, only time will tell.

Last edited by GTO : 7th August 2008 at 13:00. Reason: No need to post in all bold
Old 25th August 2008, 22:17   #21
BHPian

Banished by Hyundai

Hyundai have really cheated the people who bought the 1.1 I10.

I just happened to see their 1.2 ltr car ad, where SRK tries to prove that more power is not less mileage. I dont know how true that is. But I certainly felt being cheated, since I am one of the first few owners of 1.1.

Let us go by principle. Let us for a moment believe that what Hyundai says is true. Kappa is more power and no less mileage.

Hence it is apt to conclude that according to Hyundai, Kappa is _the_ car one should own. It has more power. And it has more mileage.

Can they come up with any reason why a person should buy 1.1? No! Whatever you want in an I10, kappa is the one! [Mileage+power and interiors being more or less same in both versions]

After seeing Hyundai's vindication of a perfect I10 as kappa, I wonder what good is 1.1? I mean what good it is? Why should one buy it? And should the people who bought it only regret? For no mistake of theirs, they have a car which has an old engine, less power and now the Hyundai asks people to buy a new one with new engine, more power, and same mileage as the one they already have! Why should i not be dejected?

If the price difference is the reason enough they say, then heck, you established that 1.1 is inferior.

Shun you Hyundai. I shall never buy a Hyundai again.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:31   #22
BHPian

I agree totally ! But we can't help it as the small car market is getting extremely competitive by the day and so manufacturers have to pull few tricks !

Who knows they might release a 1.3 litre or say a i10 diesel say after two months, then how the kappa customers will feel
Old 25th August 2008, 22:32   #23
BHPian

I understand your point, but I don't think this amounts to cheating. Companies continuously improve their products and I don't think it is bad. Otherwise, we would probably still be driving Ambassadors/Maruti 800s.
I am sure you own a PC. I am surprised you are not feeling cheated by Intel/AMD. I am sure there is a better processor+chipset available now at a lower cost compared to what you have!
Old 25th August 2008, 22:58   #24
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Penpavan, car manufactures constantly upgrade engine and cosmetics. No need for all the hatred. I find your post very silly and uncalled for. What about all the people who bought the 1ltr santro when it launched, or the Maruti 1000...the list goes on.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:59   #25
BHPian

Why r u upset??

Well, car manufacturers do it all the time. I dont see any reason to be upset. If you can shell out money for the Kappa, sure go ahead and do so. If you are upset that they didnt inform you in time, so you could not buy the 1.1; get over it. Think about the people who bought the santro a day before the i10 was launched. !!
Toyota does it so many markets. They sell the 1.6 altis and the 1.8 altis. What's wrong with that??!!?? i10 may be an object of desire for someone and they may not feel the need for the extra power (given that it costs more); now with the 1.1 they can still buy it; otherwise the option wouldnt even exist
Old 25th August 2008, 23:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

PenPavan bhai, Relax madi, as they say in Bengaluru, right?

Car makers do it all the time. They launched the i10 with the eRLX, got the excise benefit by being less than 1200cc and posed the car as an alternative to the Santro-WagonR. Car being initially successful, it was time to invest in the kappa engine. The 1.1 is for the Santro / Alto / Spark buyer while the 1.2 is for the Swift / U-Va / Getz buyer. All bases covered!!

There's always a better car around the corner. And the Indian consumer is often fooled by even the favourite car makers of the country.

If I were you I would say "I Banish you, Hyundai!" instead of Banished by Hyundai.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

i remember this was the story with the santro as well

they launched the car with a 900cc engine then 1.0l and then 1.1l its nothing new

and then finally zing

so nothing new
Old 25th August 2008, 23:13   #28
BHPian

Yes, I understand upgrades. Not within an year! Just 7 months, thats all Hyundai took to obsolete the 1.1.
Why you need an upgrade? Because you got old. Not within 7 months, common.

And we certainly cannot compare those with PCs.
Yes i agree i was a bit carried away after i saw that ad.

I expected some upgrade but certainly not within a year. My friend just bought 1.1 in June. He was unaware of 1.2 in the line. And he bought 1.1 because it was a "new" car planning to be owned for at least 3 years. Now within a month he had all the disappointments.

People are being victims of confused Hyundai in India.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Penpavan, car manufactures constantly upgrade engine and cosmetics. No need for all the hatred. I find your post very silly and uncalled for. What about all the people who bought the 1ltr santro when it launched, or the Maruti 1000...the list goes on.
I dont really find this post silly. I guess everyone understands the frustration that the OP is going through. Coming up with a better engine, with FE same, will help Hyundai sell more cars. But at the sametime the 2nd hand market for the 1.1 has gone for a toss now!
Old 25th August 2008, 23:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
PenPavan bhai, Relax madi, as they say in Bengaluru, right?

Car makers do it all the time. They launched the i10 with the eRLX, got the excise benefit by being less than 1200cc and posed the car as an alternative to the Santro-WagonR. Car being initially successful, it was time to invest in the kappa engine. The 1.1 is for the Santro / Alto / Spark buyer while the 1.2 is for the Swift / U-Va / Getz buyer. All bases covered!!

There's always a better car around the corner. And the Indian consumer is often fooled by even the favourite car makers of the country.

If I were you I would say "I Banish you, Hyundai!" instead of Banished by Hyundai.
Nice one architect. Oh yeah, I was indeed disappointed by seeing a new version my car even when my car's gloss was not faded. Yes, you suggested a better title.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks