Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 23:28   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Its nothing to do with Hyundai alone. Manufacturers are known to upgrade engines midway without marketing that fact for obvious reasons. Its just that Maruti has gotten us used to the same engines.

I agree that Hyundai should have released the i10 with the 1.2 to begin with. But they were probably looking after their own w.r.t to market readiness.

Spares will not be an issue - that engine will do duty on the Santro for as long as its there.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:41   #32
BHPian

penpavan, visit the "Modifications & Accessories Section". That'll help you to clear the power deficit

But on a serious note, 7 months for a major engine upgrade is a bit ridiculous for a brand new car launched in the market. A l'il visual tweak here and there is OK but why the upgrade so early. Also, Hyundai was going ga-ga over the fact that the i10 made its world debut in India.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

I agree that Hyundai should have released the i10 with the 1.2 to begin with. But they were probably looking after their own w.r.t to market readiness.
Yes MAG, Thats my point. That makes me upset. I felt the earlier buyers of 1.1 were experimented on. Like guinea pigs.

And in my view, upgrades should not happen so fast and so early. Get them only when you need them. Or else, plan properly earlier enough to be consistent.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:54   #34
BHPian

Not sure on this one. My friend bought the iRDE Magna after evaluating it against the Kappa as it did not fit into his budget. Also the iRDE model came with all the important features like power windwos, rear wiper, etc which was only available on higher priced varients of the Kappa. So not everybody is looking for a powerful car. and my friend is quite happy with his car.
Old 26th August 2008, 00:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

IMO, all car manufacturers do update the mechanicals of their cars. This move is no different.
Hyundai just came up with a new and modern engine that has efficiency along with more power.

Where Hyundai is wrong is bringing the car earlier with an old powerplant. They should have waited for some more time and then launch this car with 1.2 ltr engine along with 1.1. This should have given it more satisfied customers. This strategy would give the customers option of two engines from the beginning. If someone wants a car for just travelling in city as this car would be second or third car, then easily it would be 1.1 and for those seeking to use the car on highways also, 1.2 would be the bet.

Here Hyundai is left out with many unhappy customers. i10 is good car and basically a replacement for Santro. They could also have positioned i10 1.1 as replacement also.
Old 26th August 2008, 00:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Hyundai have really cheated the people who bought the 1.1 I10.

I just happened to see their 1.2 ltr car ad, where SRK tries to prove that more power is not less mileage. I dont know how true that is. But I certainly felt being cheated, since I am one of the first few owners of 1.1.

Let us go by principle. Let us for a moment believe that what Hyundai says is true. Kappa is more power and no less mileage.

Hence it is apt to conclude that according to Hyundai, Kappa is _the_ car one should own. It has more power. And it has more mileage.

Can they come up with any reason why a person should buy 1.1? No! Whatever you want in an I10, kappa is the one! [Mileage+power and interiors being more or less same in both versions]

After seeing Hyundai's vindication of a perfect I10 as kappa, I wonder what good is 1.1? I mean what good it is? Why should one buy it? And should the people who bought it only regret? For no mistake of theirs, they have a car which has an old engine, less power and now the Hyundai asks people to buy a new one with new engine, more power, and same mileage as the one they already have! Why should i not be dejected?

If the price difference is the reason enough they say, then heck, you established that 1.1 is inferior.

Shun you Hyundai. I shall never buy a Hyundai again.
Why don't you write to Hyundai and ask them to replace your 1.1 with the new 1.2 with similar trim levels?. Will you be willing to pay the extra cash for the more powerful car?.
Old 26th August 2008, 00:44   #37
BANNED

i dont know how it matters since the big MONEY matter is not involed. if they are selling the 1.2 at the price you bought it at then its different. 1.1 will be cheaper than 1.2 right. its like getz has 1.1 and 1.3. its all about how much people want to spend. i dont see getz 1.3 on the road the reason is obvious
Old 26th August 2008, 01:21   #38
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Quote:

And in my view, upgrades should not happen so fast and so early. Get them only when you need them. Or else, plan properly earlier enough to be consistent.
This is not one of the better arguments I have seen on this forum.

Hyundai spent some money devloping the kappa engine...It makes perfect business sense for them to launch the i10 with an existing engine...let the market like/adore it, and then try to become unchallengable by launching a sweety of an engine for thier already successful model.

In my view( strictly my view, I cannot be banished for this) ...engine/body upgrades are most welcome...

Atleast people buying cars NOW and later are benefitted.

Have you ever though abt this while buying a PC/Laptop/DVD player(its the same scenario...u buy stuff and the price goes down by 20-25% in the next 2 months) ?? agreed that the costs cannot be compared....but still...we all want better products with better features and better Total cost of ownership...so, if the manufacturers are also working towards the same...whats wrong ??
Old 26th August 2008, 01:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
If the price difference is the reason enough they say, then heck, you established that 1.1 is inferior.

Did you forget that you get what you pay for? More power is not less mileage but still costs more money. You paid the price for 1.1 and you got a 1.1. Now if you think that you would have paid more and got a 1.2 if it was available, you have the option to sell the 1.1 and get the 1.2.
And then again 1.1 is Inferior to what? 1.2 which sells at a higher price point? 1.2 is inferior to probably 1.3 if there is one which in turn would be inferior to a Hyundai Sonata and so on. Hyundai didn't cheat you into buying anything, YOU made the decision. It is entirely your fault that you were not aware of the models in the pipeline. No car manufacturer releases this information to car buying customer, it is always a gamble.

Cheating is if you paid for something and you got an inferior product. If you paid for the 1.2 and got 1.1, that is cheating.

Last edited by Mayavi : 26th August 2008 at 01:34.
Old 26th August 2008, 04:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai have really cheated the people who bought the 1.1 I10.
After seeing Hyundai's vindication of a perfect I10 as kappa, I wonder what good is 1.1? I mean what good it is? Why should one buy it? And should the people who bought it only regret?
Please- I think you should enjoy the wonderful car you are having rather than get into such negative thoughts. Once you go down this path, there is no end to this. I buy a Lee jeans for Rs.1500. 2 months later, the dealer sells it for Rs.750 in a stock clearance sale. So, shall I say shun you Lee Jeans? This way, you can't buy any product!
The Honda Civic sells at $15k + in USA(roughly Rs.7 Lakhs) and is a entry level model there. Here it is a 'luxury car' selling at 14 lakhs!! So shall I Say, shun you Honda?
It is often said that one should be a late adopter of technology - that way, you get a chance to see that the technology is proven and you also get a better price, as well. But let us face it - people buy things for different reasons and we have to respect that. As an early adopter of i10, you seem to have bought the i10 as a status symbol - the joy of owning the new kid on the block. I respect that - but remember, from time immemorial, it is always "Caveat Emptor" :Let the buyer beware
But the definition of cheating is if you get sold a lemon - i10 1.1 is not certainly that.
Enjoy your wonderful car.
Old 26th August 2008, 07:07   #41
BHPian

Thanks for all the diversified comments. And I am happy that most dont agree with me!

I smiled at the words I used in my post to show my dissent on Hyundai.

But my point was just this. An upgrade just 7 months of a launch of a fully new car was not necessary. Dont make products outdated so fast. I always believed upgrades should happen either when a product is not selling well, or the design/specs are getting outdated. This is just my thought.
Old 26th August 2008, 07:27   #42
BHPian

This thread is interesting. Maybe, Hyundai realised that the earlier car was underpowered. Or, maybe, they already had a higher powered engine earlier for their international marketsand they are now introducing that in India. Or, maybe, competition drove them to introduce the new version. But how do you all compare this to the launch of Indica V2? Do you see some similiarities here?
Old 26th August 2008, 07:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

^^The 1.1 liter engine in the i10 is outdated and the car deserves a better engine for the price hyundai asks for it. The 1.1 has been doing duty in the santro for donkey years and definitely needs a replacement. What is wrong in updating the specs to improve a product? I definitely see nothing wrong in it. I'm not sure why this amounts to cheating customers.
Old 26th August 2008, 08:01   #44
BANNED

Just apply your theory to electronics/PCs/Gizmos/Phones etc and you will realize how silly your post is.
Old 26th August 2008, 09:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
An upgrade just 7 months of a launch of a fully new car was not necessary. Dont make products outdated so fast. I always believed upgrades should happen either when a product is not selling well, or the design/specs are getting outdated. This is just my thought.
I won't see it as an upgrade of the 1.1. Since they are selling both can we say 1.1 is obsolete or outdated. Instead it could be that Hyundai introduced a more powerful variant at a higher price. I would see it as giving more choice to the customers - but not as one replaced the other.

Even if this is not the case, if I had a 1.1, I'd surely see it that way cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks