Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2008, 16:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Renewed Protests At Tata Nano Plant in Orissa

Fresh protests have struck again at the Singur plant for Tata Nano in Orissa. It is feared that the current protests from the political opposition against the land seizures may threaten the probable launch of Tata Nano in India. The much awaited world's cheapest car has been under threat from all corners ever since it made its debut at the Delhi Auto Expo in January 2008.

The input costs have escalated including steel and rubber prices. Moreover, the interest rates for car loans have hiked thrice due to rising inflation. However, the biggest threats from the land owners in Orissa continue to loom over the Nano project.

Government has acquired about 1000 acres of land from the farmers for the Nano project. Some of the farmers allege that they did not receive their dues which were promised by the government as compensation in lieu of the land. Moreover, 400 acres of the land is still being claimed by the farmers who do not wish to claim the compensation but ask for the land itself. Fresh protests at the Singur plant have struck again and one of the countless fights between the farmers and the police at Singur has begun again. Presumably, the farmers gain their support from the communist opposition which were routed in May elections.

Source:http://www.cartradeindia.com/news/renewed-protests-at-tata-nano-plant-in-orissa-110339.html
Old 9th August 2008, 16:12   #2
BHPian

My geography ain't the best but as far as I knew Singur was in West Bengal, or is this some other plant from Tata in Orissa ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
Fresh protests have struck again at the Singur plant for Tata Nano in Orissa.
Source:http://www.cartradeindia.com/news/renewed-protests-at-tata-nano-plant-in-orissa-110339.html
Old 9th August 2008, 16:13   #3
BHPian

Singur is in WB. Not in Orissa.
Old 9th August 2008, 20:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Singur is in WB. Not in Orissa.
Yeah, although at this point I bet Ratan Tata must be wishing that it was in Orissa
Old 9th August 2008, 20:28   #5
BHPian

LOL... Or anywhere else on planet earth but NOT WB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Yeah, although at this point I bet Ratan Tata must be wishing that it was in Orissa
Old 9th August 2008, 21:04   #6
BHPian

Even in Orissa they would have faced problems. We have POSCO, a steel major, trying to establish a plant here in Orissa. The Tatas have also run into rough weather with their Gopalpur Port Project at Berhampur, Orissa.

Last edited by Gautam Misra : 9th August 2008 at 21:12.
Old 9th August 2008, 23:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

The last I heard/read that the protests were on the wane and even the opposition was trying for a face saver as it does not want to be seen as a hurdle for thousands of Jobs generated in the area. Talks are on, I guess. The reporter of this article seems to have woken up from a fresh slumber.
Old 10th August 2008, 07:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

But from the latest news, it seems that the Nano will be rolling out from the Uttranchal plant.

So whats the protest in Singur now? That the Nano should be rolled out from Singur
Old 10th August 2008, 12:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Why does not he come to Karnataka? He anyways has lands in Dharwad. He can construct a bigger plant at Dharwad. Moreover, the Karnataka Government would be more than happy to facilitate the new plant of Tata.
Old 10th August 2008, 12:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Why does not he come to Karnataka? He anyways has lands in Dharwad. He can construct a bigger plant at Dharwad. Moreover, the Karnataka Government would be more than happy to facilitate the new plant of Tata.
I guess it should be the loand price, labour price. Also if I am right, he gets some tax holidays in there. Right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks