Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 00:18   #31

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Whats the tire or rim size on the civic sports?Is it still 15" or have they increased the size??
Old 12th August 2008, 00:27   #32
Team-BHP Support

A sports model with body kit, white alloys and chrome door handles followed with beige cloth upholstery?? To top it off same 195/65-15 alloy tire size. This is ridiculous.

Looks like honda has started smoking up the same stuff as the germans.
Old 12th August 2008, 01:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Next version - Civic Rallye without the bodykit, without alloys, with another badge/sticker.

And maybe a couple of fog lamps here and there. And a fake snorkel like the Scorp's fake scoop in its earlier version.

People will still line up to buy it.
Old 12th August 2008, 01:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

I guess Honda just wants to milk the market dry. So those bored with the V could now get the Sport model and claim that its different !!!
Old 12th August 2008, 10:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Looks like honda has started smoking up the same stuff as the germans.
Skoda offered xenons, 16 inch alloys, sun roof, cruise control , head lamp washers back then for about 2-2.5 L extra when all Honda did was change the rear tail light assembly for the Accord.

Honda has been fooling the market - but then it has never targeted itself at the younger crowd. It has always been those middle age + people whom Honda has had in its sights. And that market will lap up any rubbish Honda shows them. For many of us here in India, the car buying ABCD stops at H (the straight one not the H)
Old 12th August 2008, 12:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
The hybrid has done better than expected at least in the first month. Their annual target is 300 units, but they have sold 52 units in July 2008.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
52 units in July 2008 is shocking. Seems like Indian's are truely understanding of the environmental crisis.

I am trying to get a TD for the Hybrid though soon!
That's an eye wash again. Those 52 units were all pre-booked, or rather, pre-sold in this case as I came to know that each dealer was given 2 Hybrids minimum and they had to sell it somehow. So what does the dealer do? they hard sell it to the big shots/celebrities in town, who would not mind a little publicity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Sport might do OK, since it is priced somewhat below the fully loaded "v".
Unfortunately, yes, it might do OK, justifying Honda's actions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Next version - Civic Rallye without the bodykit, without alloys, with another badge/sticker.

And maybe a couple of fog lamps here and there. And a fake snorkel like the Scorp's fake scoop in its earlier version.

Lol... true Steeriod, you have stop giving ideas to Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Skoda offered xenons, 16 inch alloys, sun roof, cruise control , head lamp washers back then for about 2-2.5 L extra when all Honda did was change the rear tail light assembly for the Accord.
Where Skoda missed out was on the A.S.S part.... Honda (IMHO) built their market in India mainly because of their service part. I can remember many of my friend's and their parents who bought a Honda because the service bills were assured to be in three digits.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:30   #37
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
This has become a way in India. First Ford Fiesta S and now Civic. No new engine to justify the Sport Tag, just spoilers. Mann!
The fiesta S atleast has a new colour and it also signified the launch of the facelift.

For the Civic, the so called sports model is disgusting! White Alloys is the most substantial difference, thankfully the wheels are different from the ugly standard ones.

They`ve removed the leather from the interiors and replaced it with beige fabric trim!!!does beige=sporty, honda??

The civic is also (in)famous for its low ground clearance, so adding a lip spoiler and skirts may further worsen it.

But the Civic is a car that has a stonking TYPE R version, and all they do is the equivalent of the OHC 1.5 S. Yuck!

Cheers
Old 12th August 2008, 12:42   #38
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Haha, ala the Ikon Rally sport in Silverstone silver with a decal on the rear door!
Old 12th August 2008, 16:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Utter bloody farcical nonsense. Here I was hoping that maybe they'll launch it with the 2.0 engine & 6-speed gearbox with a nice subtle body kit & good alloys & they launch this piece of crap. Sigh......
Old 12th August 2008, 16:18   #40
BHPian

When they say "Sport" it indicates a leaning towards "competition" (possibly from other cars?) which suggests (After going through the specs., if you can call it that) that your body kit, white alloys and stupid sport badge will make up for anything the "competition" throws at you, in any kind/form of "sport" . @_@
Old 12th August 2008, 16:31   #41
BHPian

Auto makers in India have a warped sense of what the word sport means, ikon rally sport, palio 1.2 sport, an now the honda civic sport. atleast honda should know better but then they have done this before with their V1 OHC 1.5 sport, hit a high with the oHC vtec (in a detuned form nevertheless) and have now hit rock bottom with a bloody ugly looking automobile, vRS wher have you gone?
Old 12th August 2008, 16:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Ek hi word dimaag mein aata hai... "kya mazaak hai yaar" => oh what a joke!!!
Old 12th August 2008, 17:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Good interpretation Amien. I was also thinking on the same lines.

Wasn't there another thread about what the Sport would be? We were all guessing about the model sold in Thailand or Indonesia (?) which was a 2 litre, 160 odd bhp car.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Civic sales are sliding big time and are in dire need of a boost.
I wonder why the Civic sales have been on a steady slide? It can partly be explained by the fact that this segment, as a whole, has seen a 22% drop in the Apr-Jun quarter as compared to the previous quarter. The drop in July for this segment, too, has been quite staggering. The data, as posted by vasudeva here at,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html
But what will ring alarm bells in Honda is the fact that their market share in the segment has gone down quite significantly. While normally hovering around the 40% mark each quarter in marketshare, it dropped to 33% in Apr-Jun and has in fact,come down to 27% in Jul. They have ceded market leadership to Skoda and I dare say, even the Optra Magnum has gained slightly in % terms.
a) Is one possible reason because Honda Civic has lost a bit of snob value because of it's ubiquitous presence?
b) Did the impending launches of Jetta/Altis made people postpone their decisions and have an impact on sales over the last 2 months?
c) What has Skoda done to seize leadership?
Quote:
A truly sporty Civic, with a bump in horses and a performance suspension setup, could have become an enthusiasts favorite. That, and the image benefits, could have helped
Yeah, I attribute this to complacency. There seems to have been a lack of thought here. One of the members below has mentioned that he has heard from the dealer that there are only 1000 of these Sport versions. I think they just took their market leadership for granted. Maybe, we will see a more serious makeover sometime next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo
The civic is also (in)famous for its low ground clearance, so adding a lip spoiler and skirts may further worsen it.
I think that is a good point!
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Honda has been fooling the market - but then it has never targeted itself at the younger crowd. It has always been those middle age + people whom Honda has had in its sights.
Well, it is interesting. I was recently having a chat with a toyota dealer in bangalore and he told me that his experience showed that Civic was purchased by the younger crowd( 28-35 yrs) while the Toyota clientele generally tended to be 35+. Not sure, what to make of this - whether this is a localized trend. But I do remember reading somewhere that Honda Civic ,in India, was voted by young couples as 'the most-sought after', with it's besotting looks.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The only true sporty car launched has been the SKODA vRS. The Japs could learn a thing or two from them !!!
I hope not, 150 bhp from a turbo 1.8 isnt impressive at all especially when the NA Honda 1.8 in the Civic makes 135 bhp! Besides its too expensive for an Octavia.

Most Viewed