Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 18:55   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

How can our politicians destroy the heritage that is India! How dare they! If they don't ride and preserve the Amby, who will? Let them stop riding the Amby only when they stop wearing white kurta-pyjamas, etc. etc.

Pardon the heavy-duty neta-like rhetoric!
Old 6th April 2009, 21:40   #92
BHPian

I have voted for Tata Safari..That could be a costlier replacement for Ambywhile keeping the Indian image. Also I have seen lots of Safari's accompanying VIPs like Sonia Gandhi & Manmohan. Have seen them when they were visiting TVM as well as in the Republic Day parade in Delhi.

Anyway Amby still 'relates' to a politician. I have a friend/class mate who is a businessman, he owns a petrol bunk, a fleet of tourist buses and in to some construction business. His father was the local Panchayat president (Congress). Now he is also in to politics and is the District president of INTUC (Trade union wing of Congress-Interesting that a businessman like him is the representative of workers). His personal vehicles were Opel Astra, Skoda Octavia, and a brand new Toyota Prado. When he was about to be get involved much in poilitics, he bought a white Ambassador exclusively for this purpose. Whenver he is out on a purpose related with politics, he will wear only white mundu (dhothy)& shirt and travel in that Amby.
Old 6th April 2009, 23:08   #93
Senior - BHPian

With all due respects to these individuals who take the responsibility of running our great vast and diverse country. I would like to think that the cheapest mode of practical transport would do immense good to bolster their image of not lavishing on public money.

However simply the cheapest car won't do, because alongwith the responsibility comes the security threats in diverse forms. So it has to be a vehicle that can accomodate both the human as well as instrument security systems. One of the reasons for Amby's survival for so long has been its ability to offer that, apart from the legacy of almost being India's National car (Almost akin to the respect we give to the buildings of power inspite of there being better looking technologically superior buildings).

However the Amby's time is being seen as over, mainly because of its inability to accomodate for a few new security considerations.

What the government needs to do do is to have purpose built vehicles built to specifications rather than take one from the assembly line and build on it.

The Ambassador ad showing the car on the green lawn is a picture in bad sense. Although the picture is a photoshop, but its made to look as if its on the green grass. Many people know that driving a car up a lawn like that would be damaging for the lawn itself, (although we know the actual picture was not taken that way.)

Last edited by 1100D : 6th April 2009 at 23:10.
Old 7th April 2009, 08:16   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
I have voted for Tata Safari. That could be a costlier replacement for Amby while keeping the Indian image. Also I have seen lots of Safari's accompanying VIPs like Sonia Gandhi & Manmohan. Have seen them when they were visiting TVM as well as in the Republic Day parade in Delhi.
Even the other day when Rahul Gandhi went to put in his nomination he was seen travelling in a Safari.

However in the poll, Safari is a distant second.
Old 7th April 2009, 09:22   #95
Senior - BHPian

I recommend a Hyundai Verna, preferably without the ABS option or brakes even. More politicians killed, the better
Old 7th April 2009, 10:48   #96
BHPian

I voted for Innova. Great space. Super reliability.
Old 7th April 2009, 11:56   #97
Senior - BHPian

Reliability

If the exchequer i.e. you and I were paying for it - definitely a Nano (modded to run on gobar gas).

Otherwise a Honda - they are reputed to be bullet proof, so we can save millions by withdrawing their security detail.

Cheers,
Old 7th April 2009, 19:25   #98
Senior - BHPian

in karnataka most of the politicians run around in their brand new corolla altis
Old 7th April 2009, 19:40   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

For some reason, when I see a WHITE Scorpio it either reminds me of a local landlord, or a Politician. I am thanking the lord that I had a flash and switched to something more sober.
Old 8th April 2009, 08:26   #100
BHPian

It is quite queer that the Honda City and the SX 4 have not received a single vote, even though they are quite "popular" cars.
Old 8th April 2009, 09:50   #101
xPK
BHPian

That's not an easy question you see!
IMO, the perfect car should be something like,
Best car for our Politicians. What do you think?-car.jpg

But just to be little reasonable and fair, I have voted for amby.
Old 8th April 2009, 15:03   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
If the exchequer i.e. you and I were paying for it - definitely a Nano (modded to run on gobar gas).

Otherwise a Honda - they are reputed to be bullet proof, so we can save millions by withdrawing their security detail.

Cheers,
Isn't Honda the more on the weaker side in terms of build quality. I had a city which got dented in hailstorm.

IMO, The best car is Tata Safari because it is Indian, It is supremely comfortable, and it is all-terrain vehicle...next on agenda is to get these ppl to actually move to their territories!!!
Old 8th April 2009, 15:15   #103
Senior - BHPian

The good old Amby wins hands down.
Old 9th April 2009, 00:36   #104
Senior - BHPian

Don't give them anything more than a pair of rollerskates.
Old 9th April 2009, 02:00   #105
Senior - BHPian

Alot of interesting options given.But trust me no matter what car you give them the car will go to the dogs by the end of 2yrs.Our cars clock 1 lakh kms a year on an average.And i know people who travel more.

Most Viewed