Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 16:29   #1
BHPian

Powered mirrors for Getz 1.3 GLX

Hi everyone

One of my very close friends wants to buy a Getz and he likes only top of the line stuff (like me) and hence wants to go in for the Getz 1.3 GLX model (with 14 inch alloys and ABS). However he and I were surfing thru the Hyundai websites of UK, Australia etc and we found powered mirrors are being offered on the Getz in those countries.

Australia I am sure, since I myself rented a Getz in Melbourne (1.5 litre, 4-speed auto, 3-door hatch) for the last week before we left for India for good in 2006. That 3-door hatch with no alloys etc had powered mirrors, windows, locks, ABS and dual airbags as standard. No other frills. But these things were there - and on such a low model in the range.

Here we are asked for almost 5.5L for the Getz 1.3 GLX which is the top of the line model and we get no safety features except for ABS, and no powered mirrors. The engine also is a downgrade - only a 1.3 litre instead of the 1.5 / 1.4 overseas. I wish to add that in Australia, a 1.6 litre version of the Getz is also offered (I guess this is the Accent 1.6's engine - which was sold before in India and stopped).

Well now my friend wants to get the powered mirrors installed in his Getz. The dealership says it is not possible since Getz is not offered with powered mirrors in India. However, the door trim and switch set for the Getz is the same worldwide, and this is proven further by the round blank plastic part ahead of the driver's side power window switches, which actually contains the powered mirror adjustment switch in overseas models. The same thing can be observed in the Accent too.

So is it possible to fit powered mirrors in the Getz ?

I am writing on behalf of my friend, but also for myself since next year my wife and I would be getting our own car and the Getz 1.3 GLX is the one I want. Otherwise it may be a Ford Fusion + 1.6 (which comes with powered mirrors and ABS), though it costs more than the Getz.

Please do reply with some ideas on this at the earliest.

Thanks and warm regards,
Venkat
Old 14th August 2008, 20:24   #2
BHPian

Well, since you're going to buy a hatchback next year, I would say your prayers would be answered with i20 - the successor to the Getz, which is being launched in Oct this year and I'm sure it would offer power-adjustable ORVMs since its going to compete with Fabia.

I have another question to add to this but with a different purpose - is it possible to fit power retracting ORVMs in a car which doesn't have it? I feel these are now a necessity on crowded roads!
Old 14th August 2008, 20:43   #3
BHPian

Why don't you wait for I20?

You never know what you might get in it. No point in buying Getz when it's replacement, [though Hyundai denies it] is round the corner ^.

Going by the way Hyundai are introducing the features in their small cars, I20 top end can have some nice surprises.

^My personal opinion.
Old 14th August 2008, 20:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Why don't you wait for I20?

You never know what you might get in it. No point in buying Getz when it's replacement, [though Hyundai denies it] is round the corner ^.

Going by the way Hyundai are introducing the features in their small cars, I20 top end can have some nice surprises.

^My personal opinion.
Fully Agreed.
I'm also waiting for i20 launch.
But i will book it only if i20 will have Verna's Engine.
Old 15th August 2008, 12:17   #5
BHPian

Powered mirrors for Getz 1.3 GLX

Thanks guys - I shall of course be checking out the i20 before I take a decision. It is in any case going to be offered with a 1.2 litre engine - probably the same Kappa family of engines as in the new i10 Kappa.

However my main question was about getting powered mirrors fitted on my friend's new Getz GLX 1.3. Could I have some inputs on that please ?

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 15th August 2008, 19:42   #6
BHPian

VSG1277, YES it is very much possible to fit the Electronic Side view mirrors on the GETZ. But for that u need the spares... Electric Side View Mirror Assembly, and also hte Switch to be placed on the doorpad - above the Power Windows buttons. And the wiring harness.

Btw..where in melbourne were u living?
Old 16th August 2008, 03:01   #7
BHPian

Insane Devil,

Thanks man. We were living in Clayton (near the corner of Blackburn & Wellington Roads) and then in Glen Iris (near Gardiner station on Malvern Road, near the corner of Burke and Malvern Roads).

Now I too knew that the spares would be required for the powered mirrors on the Getz. However any idea on how to procure this ?

I remember that the Accent 1.6 GTX Tornado (2001-2002) had powered mirrors, ABS etc. Now if we can get a spare for that vehicle, would it be possible to fit it in the Getz ? Of course, the Accent mirrors are different from the Getz mirrors. It's only the switch and wiring + motor I am referring to.

Or do we have to only get the exact Getz mirror set ?
Old 16th August 2008, 06:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

I too wanted to fit Electric Mirrors in my Getz CRDi and when i asked the Hyundai Dealer about this , he said it will cost Rs.20000 . So i dropped the idea.
Old 16th August 2008, 12:05   #9
BHPian

Oh my goodness - 20k for powered mirrors ? It looks like the dealer quoted that figure just so that you would say you didn't want it. 20k is atrocious for powered mirrors .... I am sure we can get it fitted for a lower cost outside. After all, it's not something out of the ordinary - the Getz comes with powered mirrors as standard fitment in most other markets like UK, Australia, Singapore and Malaysia.

Another idea struck me - maybe we could import just the powered mirror set from the Singapore dealer and have it fitted here. All contact details (email, phone etc) are available on the dealer's website - Komoco Motors. So this could be an option. Not sure how much it would cost though.

We can consult any shop where they do all this retro fitting of power windows, central locking, remote locking, burglar alarms, reverse parking sensors and so on. Nowadays I see many cars with the indicators on the side mirrors too. Looks like this has become another additional thing being offered by these shops.

Do reply with your ideas.

Undead - I see you are from Tamil Nadu. Are you from Chennai ? If so, which is the best Hyundai showroom / dealership in Chennai for sales, service and after sales service ? We got our Santro XO Limited Edition in July 2007 from DSC Hyundai, Nandanam, Chennai. They're okay but not great. I wouldn't rate them very high. Many people say Hyundai Motor Plaza on 100 feet Rd is very good since it is directly owned by Hyundai. Is this so ? But it seems that they don't offer great discounts etc when you buy from them. They offer a small cash discount and good after sales service. This is what I heard.

Look forward to hearing from you all on the above.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 16th August 2008, 16:16   #10
BHPian

Hey! cool man, well so u mean u lived bloody close to Taj Indian video library & Theater! !!! was a regular there,
I used to live on Bent street, off Burke Road, in East Malvern. was there for 3 years. got back in 2004.

About the mirrors..best would be to call up some Wrecker in australia for the parts, and then get it shipped here! U will have to get the exact getz mirror, and dude. u aint alone in this search.. am with u! i too need a pair of them! will keep u posted if i find any, and u do the same, mate!

G'day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Insane Devil,

Thanks man. We were living in Clayton (near the corner of Blackburn & Wellington Roads) and then in Glen Iris (near Gardiner station on Malvern Road, near the corner of Burke and Malvern Roads).

Now I too knew that the spares would be required for the powered mirrors on the Getz. However any idea on how to procure this ?

I remember that the Accent 1.6 GTX Tornado (2001-2002) had powered mirrors, ABS etc. Now if we can get a spare for that vehicle, would it be possible to fit it in the Getz ? Of course, the Accent mirrors are different from the Getz mirrors. It's only the switch and wiring + motor I am referring to.

Or do we have to only get the exact Getz mirror set ?
Old 16th August 2008, 16:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh my goodness - 20k for powered mirrors ? It looks like the dealer quoted that figure just so that you would say you didn't want it. 20k is atrocious for powered mirrors .... I am sure we can get it fitted for a lower cost outside. After all, it's not something out of the ordinary - the Getz comes with powered mirrors as standard fitment in most other markets like UK, Australia, Singapore and Malaysia.

Do reply with your ideas.

Undead - I see you are from Tamil Nadu. Are you from Chennai ? If so, which is the best Hyundai showroom / dealership in Chennai for sales, service and after sales service ? We got our Santro XO Limited Edition in July 2007 from DSC Hyundai, Nandanam, Chennai. They're okay but not great. I wouldn't rate them very high. Many people say Hyundai Motor Plaza on 100 feet Rd is very good since it is directly owned by Hyundai. Is this so ? But it seems that they don't offer great discounts etc when you buy from them. They offer a small cash discount and good after sales service. This is what I heard.

Look forward to hearing from you all on the above.

Warm regards,
Venkat
The Kit costs less. But its the wiring harness involves much cost. Thats what the dealer said when he tried to fit one for Accent.

I am from Tamilnadu. But NOT chennai. But , i bought my Getz from HMP , Chennai only. And Yes, it is owned directly by Hyundai and while taking DD for payment, we have to draw in favour of Hyundai Motors India Limited. Dealer experience was good and quick. They were co-operative as they had the Getz in stock and wanted to sell it off quickly. You cannot get any discounts or freebies from them .
Old 18th August 2008, 21:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hey! cool man, well so u mean u lived bloody close to Taj Indian video library & Theater! !!! was a regular there,
I used to live on Bent street, off Burke Road, in East Malvern. was there for 3 years. got back in 2004.

About the mirrors..best would be to call up some Wrecker in australia for the parts, and then get it shipped here! U will have to get the exact getz mirror, and dude. u aint alone in this search.. am with u! i too need a pair of them! will keep u posted if i find any, and u do the same, mate!

G'day!
Insane Devil,

Ya I was close to the Taj Indian video library - it was just 5 mins by walk. Did you study in Melbourne ? How come you came back - no idea of applying for a PR there and working ?

As regards the Getz powered mirrors, getting it from a wrecker in Australia is easier said than done, especially sitting in Chennai. And shipping that stuff here is another pain. Unless we have someone there who can buy it for us and bring it here when they come here. A cheaper and nearer option would be Singapore. I might make a trip by the end of the year, so I can check it out then. I feel it can be purchased as a new set from Hyundai itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
The Kit costs less. But its the wiring harness involves much cost. Thats what the dealer said when he tried to fit one for Accent.

I am from Tamilnadu. But NOT chennai. But , i bought my Getz from HMP , Chennai only. And Yes, it is owned directly by Hyundai and while taking DD for payment, we have to draw in favour of Hyundai Motors India Limited. Dealer experience was good and quick. They were co-operative as they had the Getz in stock and wanted to sell it off quickly. You cannot get any discounts or freebies from them .

Undead,

The wiring harness costing so much is a bit unbelievable. And I don't understand why the dealer would say that when the earlier Accent 1.6 GTX Tornado came with powered mirrors. Oh well ... anyway as for HMP in Chennai, I agree with you. I dropped in there yesterday evening as I wanted to have a look at the Accent and Getz 1.3. Compared to Getz 1.3 GLX, the Accent is only around 25k more expensive. So it looks like a good deal too. But you don't get 14 inch alloys, ABS, front fog lamps etc which are all standard fitment in the Getz GLX.

My wife and I were given a 1.5 yr old Getz Prime 1.3 GLX washed , for the test drive. The car was dripping wet and parked outside ready for us to take it out for a spin. The car was being used only for test drives it seems and it had done about 6500 kms. But the car was so quiet. I could not even hear the engine running after I started it. And it was so spacious. Very comfortable to sit and drive. The driver's arm rest was superb too. Clutch foot rest was a nice feature. And what an unbelievably smooth gear shift. It beats the Old Honda City, Lancer and my Santro XO Limited Edition. I ended up simply changing gears just to feel that smoothness. I could take the car upto about 85 kmph and it was fairly quiet. My wife and I were really impressed. The car had the stock 14 inch alloys and 175/65R14 tyres.

I had rented a Getz 1.5 3-door automatic in Melbourne for about a week for last minute running around and that car simply zipped. We comfortably did 100 kmph without much noise on the freeways there. So we wanted to see how good the Indian Getz was with the 1.3 litre engine. It's a gem of an engine - so smooth but powerful enough. That's all I can say.

Let me hope that the car is available around the time we buy it. Just like they did to the Santro probably the top end versions of the Getz would be discontinued. Maybe the 1.3 GVS would remain but I doubt the GLS and GLX would be available. Same for the CRDi. The new i20 may come with a CRDi too. Let's just hope for the best.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 18th August 2008, 23:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Insane Devil,

Ya I was close to the Taj Indian video library - it was just 5 mins by walk. Did you study in Melbourne ? How come you came back - no idea of applying for a PR there and working ?

As regards the Getz powered mirrors, getting it from a wrecker in Australia is easier said than done, especially sitting in Chennai. And shipping that stuff here is another pain. Unless we have someone there who can buy it for us and bring it here when they come here. A cheaper and nearer option would be Singapore. I might make a trip by the end of the year, so I can check it out then. I feel it can be purchased as a new set from Hyundai itself.
Hey venkat,

Well, i got the PR there, but living here in Hyderabad, as my family and all is here..but well, it just could happen that tomorrow i m packing my bags for good from here...u never know! i luv that place, and regret coming back then..but yea, thats life!

About the Mirrors, well, i have friends back there, and will ask them to get some more info on it, from the wreckers, and also new ones if possible. Will let u know if i am getting one for myself.

G'day!

Most Viewed