Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 13:10   #211
Senior - BHPian

Next Year

Well maybe M&m is ensuring that they have company in the form of the Xover, cant they atleast reveal the car!!
Old 7th October 2008, 15:32   #212
BHPian

i'm sure TATA and M&M are playing waiting game. Afterall price is going to be THE deciding factor
Old 7th October 2008, 16:27   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse View Post
i'm sure TATA and M&M are playing waiting game. Afterall price is going to be THE deciding factor
You are right. But I do not think they can compete with Innova for few more years with any new MUVs even of they price lower to that.
In terms of family MUVs people like to have car like ride and quality, not just pricing. Only taxis may go for M&M or Tata but still they need to compete with Tavera.
Their waiting game can only be played between them. :-)
Old 7th October 2008, 16:37   #214
BHPian

Scorpio Jr, cheaper by a couple of lakhs with better drivability will be a great car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Could've made a cheaper and smaller SCORPIO instead. SCORPIO JR. with two rows seats, same height and width but small length maybe with smaller wheelbase
Old 7th October 2008, 16:41   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
You are right. But I do not think they can compete with Innova for few more years with any new MUVs even of they price lower to that.
In terms of family MUVs people like to have car like ride and quality, not just pricing. Only taxis may go for M&M or Tata but still they need to compete with Tavera.
Their waiting game can only be played between them. :-)

Go to the Delhi Chandigarh highway, you will find that each & every taxi (MUV) on that road is an Innova.
Old 7th October 2008, 16:42   #216
Senior - BHPian

what is tata waiting for? Sumo Grande is barely selling, i hardly see one or two a day in Mumbai where i stay.
Old 18th October 2008, 06:27   #217
Senior - BHPian

M&M to roll out new MPV, go slow on Logan variant

MUMBAI: The much-awaited multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) from Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) will hit the road by the end of this year. The MPV will be produced at the company’s Nashik plant and will have a completely new platform. The company is expected to finalise the brand name for the vehicle (Ingenio is the project name) shortly.

Further, the launch of seven-seater variant of Logan has been indefinitely postponed given the tight credit squeeze in the market. Realising the potential in the under-3.5 tonne light commercial vehicle category, M&M is planning to launch a low-end commercial vehicle in the second half of next year.

Pawan Goenka, president (automotive sector), M&M, confirmed the launch of the MPV by the end of December. “We have a few brand names in mind along with the name Ingenio. The name will be frozen shortly,” said Mr Goenka. He added that it could well go ahead with the name Ingenio, similar to what M&M did when it launched Scorpio.

Inspite of the current turbulence in the global market, M&M’s expansion plans and the planned product launches will be on track, said Mr Goenka. “Short-term concerns are not stopping us from achieving long-term objectives.”

However, the short-term pressures definitely have got the company to tweak its proposed foray into the US with MPV and SUV. Mr Goenka said while there's no re-think on the US foray, the situation has prompted some re-adjustment. “One might have to take a call on the pricing position keeping in mind the input costs and lack of credit available to consumers,” he said.

Source : M&M to roll out new MPV, go slow on Logan variant- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 18th October 2008, 12:50   #218
BHPian

i saw ingenio in shimla yesterday!! they didnot allow me to take pictures but still i managed to take out 3 photographs from my mobile. From the looks it has a aerodynamic shape as that of innova .
From outside
It has typical Mahindra grill with chrome in the centre like that of new bolero. Headlights are big and curved (Kinda SX4 type) as shown in the artists impression on first page.
All in all it looks huge , height and width is simmilar to that of scorpio.
Well in center there is a curvature where grill and bonnet meet simmilar to that of impression.
Does that look good? well according to me No! Reason : Sleekness and slantness of bonnet when meets this awkward huge jeep type mahindra grill it really looks awkward along with design of headlights compounding the problem.
They have tried too much on this front part. Had they kept it simple and smaller grill like innova it would have been much better.
From back it looks nice with Back lights are around 18" long with indicators on top.
From inside
Its huge with ample legroom on all fronts. I like the dashboard and music system is integerated and with in drivers reach unlike earlier mahindra boleros.Cant comment on the upholstery as it was a test vehicle. i couldnot see whether there was a.c vents provided in back row as it was covered.
Engine
Person driving the muv wasnt forthcoming on specs. All he told me that it will have detuned engine and engine is not the same as that of scorpio.
When i asked which engine you are talking about scorpio 2.6 or 2.2 same answer: i cannot divuldge. But my feeling is that it will have scorpio 2.2 ltr engine with may be 90-100 bhp for better fuel efficiency.

It is going to be launched within 3 months and definitely will be priced in between bolero and scorpio. It is going to cater mainly to taxi segment as Mahindra doesnot have any proper taxi vehicle.
Old 18th October 2008, 13:31   #219
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation View Post
Its huge with ample legroom on all fronts.
Absolutely crucial to success. And a Mahindra UV weakness.

Quote:
When i asked which engine you are talking about scorpio 2.6 or 2.2 same answer: i cannot divuldge. But my feeling is that it will have scorpio 2.2 ltr engine with may be 90-100 bhp for better fuel efficiency.
It's got to be a powerful engine, alright. Some BHPians (including myself) have seen the Ingenio perform.
Old 18th October 2008, 13:55   #220
Team-BHP Support

The Ingenio is fast enough. From what I've seen, it can easily cruise at 3 digit speeds - more than enough for our highways. Considering that it will be used by tourist taxi operators around the country, you really wouldn't want this MUV to be any quicker.
Old 18th October 2008, 17:21   #221
BHPian

The picture shown in the web site is a TATA XOVER
Old 18th October 2008, 18:38   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post

You had higher expectations from ET?!
Wonder if these even go through any checks before going to press.
The TATA grille sits proud atop the Xover in the pic.
Old 18th October 2008, 19:24   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post

Also check out the link marked "more pics"! It includes an Innova marked as M&M Ingenio and a SX4 labelled M&M Logan
Old 18th October 2008, 23:56   #224
BHPian

good job.. keep it up..
Old 20th October 2008, 10:59   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation View Post
i saw ingenio in shimla yesterday!! they didnot allow me to take pictures but still i managed to take out 3 photographs from my mobile.
Hi Salvation,

Thanks for the update. Can you post the pics you captured?

Cheers,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed