Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 14:20   #676
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures nickatnite. Since you saw the car upclose, what's your take on the quality of the interior, the materials used? Are they atleast close to what Toyota offers or not so good? After seeing the pictures you took, I still feel the car looks disproportionate.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:26   #677
BHPian

your pictures are awsome dude it looks better than the zigwheel images..on a second look the car doesnt look that bad.. and yea nick wats your take on the interiors??
Old 14th January 2009, 14:28   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
scorpio non-crde is discontinued since long.

just checked the on-road price of the top end grande, it costs more than the Crde scorpio LX, ridiculous! no wonder it failed.

moving on to the Xylo, i feel grande is dead now, tavera's sales will come down drastically and even bolero sales might drop.
Non Crde Scorpio is not discontinued , Scorpio M2DI is being sold to corner Sumo Victa market but it can not be registered in Metro cities as it is not
BS III.

Grande will born again as soon as Tata revise the price and offer for yellow board, It is positioned too close to Safari so the Sumo Victa customers have no reason to buy Grande
and they are not selling it for yellow board. And personal vehical buyers
compare it to Safari and move on to Safari avoiding Sumo tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Pretty much summed up the effect correctly, I would say. That is, unless M&M does some major goof up.

Unless TATA redo the Grande, they are looking at dead stock! But fr the Bolera, I reckon they will still do their numbers slowly and steadily.
They need to redo the pricing and segmentation , As they have fixed Sumo tag it can never go to personal vehicle segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
A feature which no other car in the world has.

The central console LCD display shows a picture of your preferred god or godess. You can choose from a list and the central display shows that. Amazing. lol.

The central display also shows instantaneous mileage, distance to empty, inside/outside temp, outside humidity, gear information and compass.
This is what engineers / designers do when they are asked to submit India specific Ideas and a manager sits on head for idea submission.

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th January 2009 at 14:39.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:39   #679
Senior - BHPian

The side profile reminds me so much of the Maruti Versa.

Does this ride on leafs or springs?
Old 14th January 2009, 14:42   #680
Senior - BHPian

One thing I have noticed in Indian MPV's is the long gear lever. Why do we always get that long stick of a lever? Innova, Xylo even Scorpio has them. Why can't we get nicely finished sedan like short gear levers like the cars below?

Ford Galaxy

Mahindra Ingenio -Officially announced as XYLO EDIT: Celebration Edition on Page 60-galaxy.jpg

Opel Zafira

Mahindra Ingenio -Officially announced as XYLO EDIT: Celebration Edition on Page 60-zafira_35.jpg

Last edited by amit : 14th January 2009 at 14:48.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:43   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Nice pictures nickatnite. Since you saw the car upclose, what's your take on the quality of the interior, the materials used? Are they atleast close to what Toyota offers or not so good? After seeing the pictures you took, I still feel the car looks disproportionate.
I'll give the interior 7/10 and i feel the quality of the plastics are better in the Scorpio. The Xylo does have a generous extra bench seat in the rear, but raising the seat means losing almost all luggage space, save for a few carry-ons. There is no competition for the Innova. Prices for this car are much lower than the Innova and that should be this vehicle's only calling card.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:46   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Ah someone else thinks so!

And its got the mHawk engine in it. Check the logo! (4 Cylinder, Turbocharged, Diesel (m-Eagle CRDe))

Fit and finish looks good. Very innovative airscoop. Takes air from from from, gets its channel to bonnet and then to..!

Steer: it's Multi-link, Coil springs for rear and Independent, Coil springs, Double Wishbone type with Anti-roll bar for front.

Last edited by jkdas : 14th January 2009 at 14:53.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:49   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
But when targetting the sedan users, do you think they will be interested? But then, tag lines are just for first impressions.
50-50 . Take me for an example . I have a Getz Crdi for local trip use. I am planning to buy a comfortable vehicle with big wheels(Scorpio or Safari or Used CR-V) for long trip only which i do rarely . Most roads in my area are pathetic and i cant drive a good sedan comfortably in the roads as it will scrap the belly. Now, if this Xylo is spacious and comfortable , i will surely go for it instead of a Verna or Fiesta or City ,as it can accomodate more than 5 persons easily , better Mahindra service in my area , big wheels and better ground clearance , finally costing less than 8 lacs only .. Not all have the same tastes or preferences though.. This is my point of view.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:49   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
One thing I have noticed in Indian MPV's is the long gear lever. Why do we always get that long stick of a lever? Innova, Xylo even Scorpio has them. Why can't we get nicely finished sedan like short gear levers like the cars below?
Good point ,Looks like size does matter for them so they like to put a big stick for manly vehicles. Also the gear throw is extra large which
can be easily reduced if the gear lever is properly shaped and placed.

Scorpio , Safari , Grande , Innova all have this truck like lever.

Quote:
Very innovative airscoop. Takes air from from from, gets its channel to bonnet and then to..!
Innovative !! but what was the need of the air scoop anywhere ?
They could have placed Intercooler in the front near to radiator instead of
top mounted intercooler . This seems to be a legacy of mistake they did in mHwak Intercooler placement.

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th January 2009 at 14:54.
Old 14th January 2009, 14:57   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And its got the mHawk engine in it. Check the logo! (4 Cylinder, Turbocharged, Diesel (m-Eagle CRDe))
its not the mHawk engine buddy. the mEagle engine is different from the mHawk.

mahindra is developing a more powerful engine for the Xylo named 'mustang'. this xylo will be launched with additional features and probably ABS.

i am happy that mahindra is developing different engines for different models and not just plonking the same engines in different states of tune in each and every model.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th January 2009 at 14:59.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:22   #686
Senior - BHPian

I've been away for a couple of days and I return to find this! gawd this is one ugly car, thing, whatever...
Old 14th January 2009, 15:23   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
HT has an article on launch of the Xylo with a small table comparing it with the competition.

From the comparo, read the below as:

Xylo, Innova and Sumo Grande
Torque : 112bhp 102bhp 250bhp

Note these are not typo's.
Yeah Baby ...250BHP.

I too saw it in today's HT.

Can i buy a used Grande and transplant the engine :-)
Old 14th January 2009, 15:32   #688
BHPian

i think my post got deleted by mistake...the images nick took seem good to me but on the second look though.. first look of the zig wheels images dissapointed me but the test drive more reviews i read and the more i ventured into the website...i am loving it i have a question though ..how much extra money goes into designing a international looking vehicle (visually)???
Old 14th January 2009, 15:35   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
... Not all have the same tastes or preferences though.. This is my point of view.
Would certainly agree with you point of view and relate to that. If I also look out for a second vehicle in the family for comfortable and safe travel, I might also consider this vehicle, since:
(all from brochure & pics)
a. It is spacious
b. It has good interior
c. Engine if proven one.
d. It's a M&M - for the dealer coverage.

But will I think of this if I am a buying the first vehicle for myself? IMHO no!
Old 14th January 2009, 15:43   #690
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the lov child of a Scorpio and a Tavera IMHO
Closed Thread

Most Viewed