Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2009, 11:39   #736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
There is no such thing as not selling to "yellow board " segment. Any vehicle sold in India can be registered as a yellow board taxi , on payment of requisite additional taxes by the buyer.
Correct, but in this case:

Quote:
Tata certainly has not barred its grande sporting a yellow board ( nor can they )
Tata have allegedly been penalizing dealers for vehicles registered with a yellow board. No dealer wants to lose money, so it is a roundabout way of trying to restrict taxi usage.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:39   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no such thing as not selling to "yellow board " segment.
I believe the that indicab is only for "yellow board".
Old 15th January 2009, 11:46   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no such thing as not selling to "yellow board " segment. Any vehicle sold in India can be registered as a yellow board taxi , on payment of requisite additional taxes by the buyer.

We have all sorts Mercs, BMWs , Audis running as taxis. Safaris, scorpios, innovas, taveras all run as taxis.

If the yellow board segment is not buying Grande, the most probable reason is that they do not see a value prposition in that. Tata certainly has not barred its grande sporting a yellow board ( nor can they )
Believe me or not certain manufacturers do so in India , Example Honda did not entertain Institutional Sales for many years ( I do not know current situation) . As per RTO rules in majority of states ( Karnataka Included) dealer can not hand over vehicle to Customer with out registration the temp. registration is valid only in hands of dealers , So they are able to enforce this as well for marketing strategy. There is nothing illegal about it
untill someone goes to court and fight it out.
Yes Toyota , Mercedes , BMW and Audi encourage institutional sales but Honda does not.

May be Tata has adopted same strategy, Tata dealership is refusing institutional sales for Vistas and Sumo Grande and refusing registration as a Taxi. Atleast till few months back they were not even willing to share the on road cost as a taxi. This strategy worked well for Honda as they positioned themselves in top slot and priced products at a premium but I doubt it will ever work for Tata.

Last edited by amitk26 : 15th January 2009 at 11:49.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:49   #739
BHPian

marketing campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
mahindra has never ever claimed xylo is an innova killer.

even i though about tanveer when i read that.
@ trapezio.. i had read that article and that's the reason i am stating they never claimed to kill innova they were just entering the same market...and there is a difference between a press release and a marketing campaign and me myself being in the field of advertising feel that they have not done any hype or created any campaign as such. you cannot call a teaser website a marketing campaign! ..if they would have done what aamir had done for ghajini i would call it a marketing campaign! anyways xylo is not someting i would buy as my first car...but just like innova i lik ethe look will gradually build on us...cheerio!
Old 15th January 2009, 11:59   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We have all sorts Mercs, BMWs , Audis running as taxis. Safaris, scorpios, innovas, taveras all run as taxis.

If the yellow board segment is not buying Grande, the most probable reason is that they do not see a value prposition in that. Tata certainly has not barred its grande sporting a yellow board ( nor can they )
you forgot to mention rolls royce
Old 15th January 2009, 12:06   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Coming back to Xylo powerplant, isn't it a 2.6 with a different head, or is it the exact same engine as the scorpio 2.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I dont think they would badge a 2.6 CRDe as 2.5. The Xylo has a CRDe engine based on the 2.5L engine of the older Bolero, I think. This is the same engine which was on the Thar "Concept" 4X4 which was showcased at the Bologna motor show 2008..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Why would they want to do that, I wonder? Unless they wanted to differentiate the Scorp from the Xylo in the same manner that Tata differentiated the Safari from the Sumo - by putting in a detuned version of the same engine. Except that Tata didnt give the detuned engine another fancy name.
I asked the same question & the reply offered to me was that it was the same CRDe engine doing duty in the Scorpio with some "tensioner & drivetrain" improvements. Make of that whatever you want, I think it's the same engine.

We also thought they had used a different head on the engine but no such details were offered by the company people present there apart from the line quoted above.
Old 15th January 2009, 12:19   #742
Team-BHP Support

I did try out a couple of very simple changes to the Xylo's headlamps and got rid of the beaver-grille in one of the attempts. Posted them in the PS thread. Link : Modified_Xylo_headlamps
Old 15th January 2009, 12:27   #743
BHPian

benbsb29 @ great job, Even I did liked the last one. It doesn't look that bad anymore.

I Wish if Mahindra has employed you as a designer.
Then everybody would have ended
Old 15th January 2009, 12:45   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
There are four car dealerships within walking distance from my parent's home here in Chennai. And, with all four of them launching new cars at this time, i'm enjoying myself a bit. I checked out the Xylo today. The ride is good. I want to talk to the design team , though. What were they thinking?. Really.
Is the bonnet open ? because one can see the shut lines from the moon.
Old 15th January 2009, 13:00   #745

Another terrible attempt from Mahindra. The car is a smorgasbord of design, not a van, not quite an SUV. Plus the lack of ABS or airbags pretty much make sure that it is no Toyota Killer in anyway shape of form. It looks like a Ssyangyong Rexton which is another very very ugly car. Why put the trip computer in the middle and why no climate control ? Tacky ad ons to the car make it seem cheaper then it actually is. At least Tata seems to be getting it right, with their new Grande and the upcoming Safari and Indigo seem to be quite good looking. Mahindra better pull its socks up, this is a mediocre attempt from a company that is capable of more.
Old 15th January 2009, 13:05   #746
Senior - BHPian

Made an addition to benny's PS job. here it is :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1131158-post1196.html
Old 15th January 2009, 13:37   #747
Senior - BHPian

Lolz what is this? I mean the vehicle looks every bit its name. Ahem can someone throw some light on what does YYLO mean and may God have mercy on Mahindras what does this vehicle mean? Any idea about prices? is it going to be versa for Mahindras? I personally do not like the vehicle as it looks like a cross of a Scorpio, Rhino, Versa, Tavera and Sumo Grande and..

Last edited by wanderernomad : 15th January 2009 at 13:38.
Old 15th January 2009, 13:45   #748
Senior - BHPian

bensb & BBS, you guys have made that car look good!! Kindly send them to M&M lest they want to do a facelift soon!!
Old 15th January 2009, 13:46   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I asked the same question & the reply offered to me was that it was the same CRDe engine doing duty in the Scorpio with some "tensioner & drivetrain" improvements. Make of that whatever you want, I think it's the same engine.

We also thought they had used a different head on the engine but no such details were offered by the company people present there apart from the line quoted above.
So if Xylo comes with the same engine as Scorpio, will not it generate lesser power for the size of Xylo?
Old 15th January 2009, 13:58   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Made an addition to benny's PS job. here it is :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1131158-post1196.html
That's amazing! You make Xylo desirable even on looks front....why M&M can't have people like you.

Cheers!!!

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 15th January 2009 at 13:59.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks