Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 09:40   #856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Since they named the engine, the whole world (from their production floor people, to dealers to general public) knows it is using a slightly different engine compared to scorpio. How many of us knows about engine specs for other makes? It is a good thing.
Or are we suggesting we should follow Merc/ bmw and what they do is always right?
Normally, from what I have seen in US, the engine is always qualified by displacement, cylinder and HP, for example there is a new ford ecoboost engine with 1.6 litre, 4 cylinder and 180 HP. Name or not, from the engine parameters one could figure out if it is an economy or performance or power or hybrid, etc.

I might have generalized more than necessary. Experts please shed some light.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:32   #857
BHPian

i have already seen more than 5 xylo's on chandigarh road. 1 was in black and 1 which i liked was in two tone colour black and silver...looked good from a distance...
b.t.w was going through economic times and there in auto mania column it was written - [COLOR=#800080]Mahindra launches luxury sedan XYLO[/COLOR] ..was sedan a typing mistake or they have also started making fun of "era of sedan is over" caption
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:17   #858
BHPian

Test drove the Xylo.

Negatives
The engine is unrefined and noisy. Noise intrudes in the cabin
The gear lever vibrates like crazy (especially at start up).
Plastics and fit finish (nowhere near Innova)
Seat height adjust needs to be done without sitting on the seat (duh!!!)
Excessive body roll
No air bags/ABS even as option on the top end (what's wrong with Indian manufacturers.. First Tata and now M&M)

Positives
Good Space
Nice driving position
Good features

At best this would be a competition to the Tavera or Grande. Innova is in a different class altogether.
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:26   #859
jp1
BHPian

Xylo 4000+ booking in two weeks

Looks like Xylo going to be a winner. 1700+ already sold, 4000+ booking. It is great news for M&M when the economy is going down. After all it is a VFM package with their track record on reliability, there is no reason for it to fail

The Hindu Business Line : Mahindra sells 1,788 Xylo units in 2 weeks

1,788 Mahindra XYLOs sold in 2 weeks; Bookings cross 4,000 mark | Indian Autos blog
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:27   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Xylo going to be a winner. 1700+ already sold, 4000+ booking. It is great news for M&M when the economy is going down. After all it is a VFM package with their track record on reliability, there is no reason for it to fail

The Hindu Business Line : Mahindra sells 1,788 Xylo units in 2 weeks

1,788 Mahindra XYLOs sold in 2 weeks; Bookings cross 4,000 mark | Indian Autos blog
but not even a single on team bhp
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:45   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Test drove the Xylo.

Negatives
The engine is unrefined and noisy. Noise intrudes in the cabin
The gear lever vibrates like crazy (especially at start up).
Plastics and fit finish (nowhere near Innova)
Seat height adjust needs to be done without sitting on the seat (duh!!!)
Excessive body roll
No air bags/ABS even as option on the top end (what's wrong with Indian manufacturers.. First Tata and now M&M)

Positives
Good Space
Nice driving position
Good features

At best this would be a competition to the Tavera or Grande. Innova is in a different class altogether.
Thats should be one badly maintained vehicle.

Its best feature is the OTR price.
Old 4th February 2009, 09:55   #862
jp1
BHPian

No surprise, when you see the barrage of criticism unleashed on these forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
but not even a single on team bhp
Old 4th February 2009, 10:32   #863
BHPian

Quote:
No surprise, when you see the barrage of criticism unleashed on these forums.

I bet anyone in BHP, even if he has bought or booked a Xylo wont say it.. fearing the attacks that will follow his acceptance of the purchase...

I woudl think thrice if I book a Xylo and reveal it here hahahaha
Old 4th February 2009, 11:17   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-NewCar View Post
...I bet anyone in BHP, even if he has bought or booked a Xylo wont say it.. fearing the attacks that will follow his acceptance of the purchase...
I do not think that anyone here has ever 'attacked' (even mildly) a person for his / her choice of vehicle.

No one would ever do that to a person who would have put his hard earned money to buy something.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:22   #865
BHPian

It is VFM and it should not be compared with Scorpio or Safari. It should be compared with Sumo/Grande/Balero etc if price is a comparison factor as wrote earlier. I would have chosen this car if it had launched 6 months back. Personally I liked it. If they come with E10 with airbags and ABS I think it definelty be accepted with huge sales figure.
Old 4th February 2009, 13:06   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Test drove the Xylo.

I do not want to peak into a M&M showroom, unless they come up with a product which has all the safety features, especially Airbags.

Seems like they need to learn!

Last edited by agbenny : 4th February 2009 at 13:07.
Old 4th February 2009, 17:32   #867
BHPian

personally, if you ask me. i wouldn't be interested in cars like xylo.

and yeah i just hate the silver tooth grill. why cant they make the grill black or make the whole grill chrome. i mean what was the idea behind this.

now Scorpio will get this grill on it in 2009 facelift crap!!!!

i just don't like the grill. and they took cues from scorpio. why!!! suv and muv are totally different things. and they want you to buy this instead of a sedan lolz.

damn i don't know what to call it. crossover or cross eyed designers fantasy.

but if you ask some 35+ man who dosent gives a damn about looks and wants chunnu, munnu, wifey, dadaji and dadi to be comfy and hang out together. this is a good choice for them if they cant afford the innova.

by the way i think innova doesnt looks like eye candy either so why bother.
these are utility vehicles. looks come after price especially in india. or maybe
Old 4th February 2009, 21:42   #868
BHPian

Xylo

Saw the Xylo today. Only thing I could say is that its one abnoxious car/MAV or any thing.

Redgs

Amit
Old 5th February 2009, 00:12   #869
abs
BHPian

OK! I have booked the Xylo (E8) last week (25th Jan) after 7 TD's by me, wifey and few colleagues. Waiting period is 6 weeks. Promised delivery date is before 15th March.

Applied for loan from SBI after extensive research and info in the thread on Team BHP on getting the best EMI. Will pressure for quicker delivery after the loan gets processed.

Some of the considerations I had in mind after obsessively excessive research are,

I have a big family - both parents, 2 kids and 1 wifey.
I had done enough TD's of Innova for the last 1.5 years and have also considered the new Innova for and its current OTR price and decided its slightly out of my budget range.
Amazing 3rd seat space (I am a 6 footer).
People have complained about braking. etc. etc.
My previous car was a premier padmini and my current is a 1993 model 96kkm old M800. So any current car is better than these two..
Don't want to wait for the E10 with ABS and Airbags.

I am not too happy with any of the exterior/interior combinations, Have opted 1st choice - Mint Green and 2nd choice - Shimmer Gold.
Black is a big No No for Chennai weather.
Java brown and Lucky Lilliac was not very attractive either.
Anything with a beige interior is dirtying prone when you have 2 very hyperactive kids. So I have to choose one with black interior, though I like beige interior as I feel that it will make the car appear roomier and brighter. What are your opinion on the car interior colors?

Did any one who did a TD notice that the interiors pictures shown http://www.mahindraxylo.co.in/view_gallery.htm and what we saw in flesh and blood were quite different or is it photoshopped. The images appeared to be of nice quality leather, but that is not even listed as an accessory in the website.

One colleague was dead against Mint green saying that it will be difficult to sell odd colored cars. Though I intend keeping the car for quite some time, I am curious to hear what you folks think of the odd colored cars, while buying used cars?
Old 5th February 2009, 08:17   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post
OK! I have booked the Xylo (E8) last week (25th Jan) after 7 TD's by me, wifey and few colleagues. Waiting period is 6 weeks. Promised delivery date is before 15th March.

Applied for loan from SBI after extensive research and info in the thread on Team BHP on getting the best EMI. Will pressure for quicker delivery after the loan gets processed.
Congrads abs on booking XYLO. it is a great MUV, designed and built to last. 10 years from now I bet it will still be a fine car (If maintained well).

Quote:
1st choice - Mint Green and 2nd choice - Shimmer Gold.
Black is a big No No for Chennai weather.
Java brown and Lucky Lilliac was not very attractive either.
Didn't you shortlist Silver color. looks good and easy to maintain.

Quote:
Anything with a beige interior is dirtying prone when you have 2 very hyperactive kids. So I have to choose one with black interior, though I like beige interior as I feel that it will make the car appear roomier and brighter. What are your opinion on the car interior colors?
in my opinion Beige is better. Interiors don't get dirty that fast. If it does all you have to do is vacuum and shampoo once in a while.

Quote:
Did any one who did a TD notice that the interiors pictures shown http://www.mahindraxylo.co.in/view_gallery.htm and what we saw in flesh and blood were quite different or is it photoshopped. The images appeared to be of nice quality leather, but that is not even listed as an accessory in the website.
There is no leather option for XYLO. the car shown on the website is custom built. If you need leather interiors you might have to spend an additional 40-50 K and you find quite a few good options.

Quote:
One colleague was dead against Mint green saying that it will be difficult to sell odd colored cars. Though I intend keeping the car for quite some time, I am curious to hear what you folks think of the odd colored cars, while buying used cars?
don't worry too much about the color. No one gives lot of weight age to color in used car market. what is more important for after sale value is how you maintain it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed