Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 00:51   #631
Senior - BHPian

Well to me this looks like a flower horn cichlid. For those who are not in to the hobby of aquariums here is a picture.

Flowerhorn Cichlid, Hua Luo Han, Hybrid

Apart from looks there is another similarity

flower horns do not exist in nature and a man made hybrid of various cichlids , And so is Xylo a badly created contraption picking design ideas from various places.
Old 14th January 2009, 01:23   #632
BHPian

Enough! talking about the pictures. Lets have some test drive reports
Old 14th January 2009, 01:57   #633
Senior - BHPian

parm you mean scorpio left the safari way behind other than the sumo.. i think before it was pitched against the sumo but now its directly pitched against the safari
Old 14th January 2009, 02:22   #634
Senior - BHPian

Looking at it side on the rear quarter looks a bit bloated. Why waste all that money designing a new model when they could have bought the plans for an obselete model from one of the auto majors. There is nothing that makes you say WOW I must get one of those (apart from the the price of the base model).
Old 14th January 2009, 06:09   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
in india cars/vehicles dont sell by the way how they look....but how much they cost!

so i predict another winner from M&M. Xylo will go the same way Scorpio left sumo way behind.

Xylo will leave behind innova and will be a winner! (mark my famous words)

cheers:
. Most Indian customers need Fuel Efficiency , Comfort , Lower Maintenance Costs , Price tag. Seems Xylo suits this budget .
Old 14th January 2009, 07:19   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
now after going through this thread, after hearing all the negatives about the xylo, i am sure its gonna be a super success!
Oh, come on Raj. You make it sound like most of us here look exactly the opposite of what the rest of the motor buying world does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Errr... Sumo Grande has 'sales'?
That was a good one. One can't make a dent on a non-existent sales chart!

Quote:
...Xylo will leave behind innova and will be a winner! (mark my famous words)...
Xylo will have it's own set of followers, that much can be guranteed, due to the good interiors (as I make it from the presentation) and the engine and maybe for the looks also. But in no way, IMHO, will it cause a set back to the Scorpio's or Safari's or Innova's. They are in a different league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I'm invited to the North regional launch of the XYLO tomorrow. Let's see how the car looks in person & the whole hoopla about space etc. etc.
Great! We will finally have a first hand account. Iraghava, please do not forget the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinchawla View Post
Well, not quite..people want value for money and quality. Innova is a proven vehicle and great value for money.

I think it is highly unlikely that the Xylo can make a dent in the Innova market. What the Scorpio did to the Sumo, Xylo will probably not do to the Innova.
Scorpio was a better product than Sumo at the time and besides, TATA is not considered in the same league as Toyota. This time if Mahindra is to beat Toyota, they have to have a really superior product. We'll soon know
Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
. Most Indian customers need Fuel Efficiency , Comfort , Lower Maintenance Costs , Price tag. Seems Xylo suits this budget .
But when targetting the sedan users, do you think they will be interested? But then, tag lines are just for first impressions.
Old 14th January 2009, 08:17   #637
Senior - BHPian

Which engine is this? Is it the one from the Bolero Crde. So looks like now they have 3 Common Rail engines. 2.6, 2.2 and 2.5
Old 14th January 2009, 08:39   #638
Senior - BHPian

I saw the car and interiors in at the official website. This car does have a punch, but the fact that saloons will be hit is something I cannot digest. The car is nice and interiors are much better than Scorpio. Also space is nice as compared to Scorpio. Except the front end design that could have been more detailed to make it look classy to the rear end that is straight away lifted from a minivan, the car is well proportioned.

I think the segment it will be most successful is the taxi market, just like qualis. Only the high end versions will be taken away by large families. Here the competition from Innova will be intense. However, I am sure Tavera will be hit as already the image of Mahindra is good for these UV vehicles, add to that a good product. Powertrain performance remains to be seen. I expect it to be as good as Innova as much better performane than Tavera.

But sedans will not be scared of this car. That is not possible that Xylo will mark end of sedans.
Old 14th January 2009, 09:03   #639
BHPian

From the xylo website:

Safety
Tubeless tyres
intellipark reverse assist (useless while cruising)
Engine immobilizer (Transponder based) (useless while cruising)

Are they keeping any tubeless tyre in the dash/steering wheel instead of an airbag??

PS: only pun intended.
Old 14th January 2009, 09:10   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Which engine is this? Is it the one from the Bolero Crde. So looks like now they have 3 Common Rail engines. 2.6, 2.2 and 2.5
The 2.6 that comes in the mHawk. Detuned I guess.

The car looks Versaish. More taller than one expects. People expected an Innovaish stuff to be a sedan better at a nice price and looks.
Old 14th January 2009, 09:15   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

In the name of all that is holy, what is this??? what were mahindra folks smoking while designing this? I think that all the Maruti Zen Stylo team was hired by Mahindra folks to work on this.

It may be a success or a hit with taxi segment etc etc.. but there is no denying the fact that it looks hideous at best -- visually.

School children could make a vehicle look better than what folks at Mahindra have done.

Cheers,
Old 14th January 2009, 09:16   #642
BHPian

The more I look at XYLO I find it not as bad as I initially felt. Most probably I expected more out of M&M.

The side elevation is quite ok. Alloys are great. Colours I Liked. What I didnt like is the grill. I think this car should do ok incase it perforrms well. Now all depends on this new engine (M eagle)
Old 14th January 2009, 09:25   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
parm you mean scorpio left the safari way behind other than the sumo.. i think before it was pitched against the sumo but now its directly pitched against the safari
i never mentioned scorpio against safari.....i said scorpio left sumo behind! read my post again...please.

cheers:
Old 14th January 2009, 09:33   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Oh, come on Raj. You make it sound like most of us here look exactly the opposite of what the rest of the motor buying world does.
not contradicting anybody's opinions in here. just a general feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The 2.6 that comes in the mHawk. Detuned I guess.
wrong. mHawk's crde 2.2 unit is an entirely new engine built from scratch. the 2.6 crde that comes in the scorpio Crde is based on the SZ engine from the non-crde scorpio.

Quote:
i never mentioned scorpio against safari.....i said scorpio left sumo behind! read my post again...please.

cheers:
buddy, scorpio was never pitched against the sumo. the sumo is way cheaper than the scorpio. the top end mHawk scorpio costs 11.5 lakhs on-road. its a competition to the innova & safari, not the sumo.
Old 14th January 2009, 09:43   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
not contradicting anybody's opinions in here. just a general feeling.

wrong. mHawk's crde 2.2 unit is an entirely new engine built from scratch. the 2.6 crde that comes in the scorpio Crde is based on the SZ engine from the non-crde scorpio.

buddy, scorpio was never pitched against the sumo. the sumo is way cheaper than the scorpio. the top end mHawk scorpio costs 11.5 lakhs on-road. its a competition to the innova & safari, not the sumo.
Thanks for pointing it out

Sumo Grande is priced very near to the base Scorpios and Scorpio with the non-crde engine should be of same rate as the Sumos.

And Sumo doesnt 'pitch' like a Scorpio

Last edited by jkdas : 14th January 2009 at 09:46.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks