Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 21:58   #721
BHPian

Quote:
Xylo may be very practical, but not much else.
You said it all mate! What other reason can we possibly think of the very existence of utility vehicles?

I am not sure why so much commotion over the looks of an MUV.. Seems there is an expectation mismatch.

Though no M&M fan myself, I would ask Xylo-bashers (from looks perspective) to name Utility Vehicles worldwide which are lookers in the strict sense of the word

Seems we are trying to search for a Madonna in a Whoopi Goldberg without appreciating the fact that either belongs to a different genre

PS - all said and done, I guess if M&M were not obsessed with their trademark grill and pasted it on Xylo without giving any thought to aesthetics, most of the unrest on T-BHP would not have arisen in the first place
Old 14th January 2009, 23:22   #722
BHPian

yeah bhpians almost started non cooperation movement against Mahindra because of this stupid front grill
Old 15th January 2009, 00:56   #723
Senior - BHPian

I took a short TD after the launch and here are my observations:
  • Powerplant is the same as the 2.6 CRDe, rebadged as a 2.5 with "drivetrain improvements" in marketing speak.
  • Kerb Weight not mentioned but quoted as 80-100 kgs lesser than the Scorpio by the head of marketing.
  • ABS/Airbags - A journo asked a direct question about the same and the response was that ABS (pronounced as "Abs" aka abdominals by the journo asking the question!) & Airbags are under development and are expected to be launched some time next year.
  • Plastic quality of central console, door handles etc. are quite poor. More comparable to the Qualis than the Innova.
  • The door handles are of particularly bad quality & have a very poor, flimsy feel. Look quite like an after thought & unfinished.
  • It's equipped with very large grab handles on the rear seats, haven't seen those in other vehicles in India.
  • Vehicle is pretty high up and ingress/egress is not going to be very comfortable.
  • Seats are of good quality & pretty comfortable and even have lumbar support at least in the middle row seats.
  • Space in all 3 rows is also quite satisfactory. But I didn't personally try the last row myself.
  • The Audio system (USB/SD cars compatible; made by Nippon) looks well integrated.
  • Ride is a bit bouncy as usual & it also has the usual side-to-side rocking motions when the vehicle is turning & hits a pothole/or climbing an incline. I tried writing a few comments about the vehicle while on the move & it was pretty difficult to do so in legible handwriting.
  • Has a flat floor so no problems with legroom.
  • Glasshouse is pretty large, so feels pretty airy.
  • Purple Accents on the inner surface of the door handles/seat belt mountings look really, really poor & cheap. Whoever though of this should be fired.
  • As for the driving experience, engine has decent pull between 1-3.5k rpm above which it is too rough & boomy. Gearshifts are decent but throw is pretty long. Controls are pretty easy overall but the steering doesn't have too much feel.
  • Lots of front end dive when there's hard braking.
  • Like a lot of tall boy hatches (Santro etc.) you cannot see the front end while sitting in the driver's seat. An oddity on an MUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
It is indeed innovative. The airscoop gets channeled through the bonnet and then to the front grille through the ducts(that i have circled in red).

Attachment 89390
Actually it's the other way round. The air is directed into the grille, from where it goes into the vents integrated in the bonnet and on to the rear vent
Mahindra Ingenio -Officially announced as XYLO EDIT: Celebration Edition on Page 60-img_0253.jpg

then onto the top mounted Intercooler
Mahindra Ingenio -Officially announced as XYLO EDIT: Celebration Edition on Page 60-img_0254.jpg

P.S. According to the top honchos of Marketing, the 4x4 2.2 mHawk should be out in the market in about 3 months or so.

Last edited by iraghava : 15th January 2009 at 00:57.
Old 15th January 2009, 01:14   #724
Senior - BHPian

hmm interesting they chose to get the 4x4 mhawk on this before the scorpio..
Old 15th January 2009, 01:14   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Actually it's the other way round. The air is directed into the grille, from where it goes into the vents integrated in the bonnet and on to the rear vent
Pardon my english, but i was trying to mean the same.

Quote:
P.S. According to the top honchos of Marketing, the 4x4 2.2 mHawk should be out in the market in about 3 months or so.
Man, this is really really REALLY good news(if it is regarding the mHawk Scorpio).. Atleast for me.

Last edited by badboyscad : 15th January 2009 at 01:18.
Old 15th January 2009, 01:21   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
hmm interesting they chose to get the 4x4 mhawk on this before the scorpio..
I think he meant Scorpio only, hence referred it to as mHawk(Xylo is mEagle, remember?). Xylo will never get a 4x4, methinks.
Old 15th January 2009, 01:37   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Man, this is really really REALLY good news(if it is regarding the mHawk Scorpio).. Atleast for me.
Yup, this is regarding the Scorpio mHawk 4x4.
Old 15th January 2009, 08:43   #728
BHPian

I cant believe after all this promotion they came up with this: :: Welcome to Mahindra Xylo co.in ::

It's so ugly.
Old 15th January 2009, 08:54   #729
Senior - BHPian

Read everything on this thread, and am very amused.

For the price the vehicle seems to be right.

Surprise is that there is no taxi-white colour offered, and the vehicle can be stripped off so many things from its cheapest version and priced much more cheaper.

One advice, people who are buying this, please be ready to face what white INDICA owners face.
Old 15th January 2009, 10:28   #730
Senior - BHPian

Ishan, thanks, that was a useful review

Quote:
Tanveer, you listening? Time to take the plunge I think
Old 15th January 2009, 10:44   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
I agree to... Remember the phrase 'Innova killer' comes from Mahindra and not from us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Dude... Search in google "Xylo enters market, targets sedan, Innova" (with the quotes).

The first article should be from LiveMint. Read it please and comment!
mahindra has never ever claimed xylo is an innova killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Ishan, thanks, that was a useful review

even i though about tanveer when i read that.
Old 15th January 2009, 10:49   #732
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
even i though about tanveer when i read that.
Too late now. Infact 4 months from now(if it materializes will be a year too late.
Coming back to Xylo powerplant, isn't it a 2.6 with a different head, or is it the exact same engine as the scorpio 2.6
Old 15th January 2009, 11:05   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Powerplant is the same as the 2.6 CRDe, rebadged as a 2.5 with "drivetrain improvements" in marketing speak...
I dont think they would badge a 2.6 CRDe as 2.5. The Xylo has a CRDe engine based on the 2.5L engine of the older Bolero, I think. This is the same engine which was on the Thar "Concept" 4X4 which was showcased at the Bologna motor show 2008.

Quote:
...P.S. According to the top honchos of Marketing, the 4x4 2.2 mHawk should be out in the market in about 3 months or so.
Now, this is some really interesting news .
Old 15th January 2009, 11:05   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Powerplant is the same as the 2.6 CRDe, rebadged as a 2.5 with "drivetrain improvements" in marketing speak.
Why would they want to do that, I wonder? Unless they wanted to differentiate the Scorp from the Xylo in the same manner that Tata differentiated the Safari from the Sumo - by putting in a detuned version of the same engine. Except that Tata didnt give the detuned engine another fancy name.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:34   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Grande will born again as soon as Tata revise the price and offer for yellow board, It is positioned too close to Safari so the Sumo Victa customers have no reason to buy Grande
and they are not selling it for yellow board.
There is no such thing as not selling to "yellow board " segment. Any vehicle sold in India can be registered as a yellow board taxi , on payment of requisite additional taxes by the buyer.

We have all sorts Mercs, BMWs , Audis running as taxis. Safaris, scorpios, innovas, taveras all run as taxis.

If the yellow board segment is not buying Grande, the most probable reason is that they do not see a value prposition in that. Tata certainly has not barred its grande sporting a yellow board ( nor can they )
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks