Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 15:36   #841

Hi All, test drove the Xylo E8 about four days back. My assessment: an Average car built to get value for money by the emphasis on personal comfort. Here's my review:

1.Engine: Noisy, vibration subtuned into the front panel and gear shift not on the Chasis. Pick up average with good cruise on the lower gears( read bumper traffic). The gear shift was vibrating like a reed in the wind. The test drive salesman gave a sheepish smile and said 'teething problems'.

2.Drive comfort: Good, good cockpit seating height with all round view, but definitely shades below the Scorpio.

3.Space: All seats very comfortable, more legspace and thigh room than the Innova(am a Diehard Innova fan), BUT NO BOOT. Smaller families have to remove or fold up the rear seats for baggage space.

4.Suspension: seemed a bit rocky on cratered roads, liked the grip of the alloys maybe due to equal weight distribution.
I appreciate the extra space but not the engine or the external profile. It seems Mahindra would go in for upgrade on this model soon based on feedback, so it seems prudent to hold on to your purses. But a Bow to Mahindra at the effort to make the Xylo quite affordable to most.

Regards
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:08   #842
BHPian

Indianness factor

I think XYLO is a fantastic value for money product.
And as a truely indian effort we should all be proud to the fact. Mahindra has constantly been on the right path and producing better and better products right with the Scorpio. But somehow Mahindra themselves seems to be missing on promoting the indianness factor. May be because there has been major contributions from all around the globe i still think we need to be proud to see Mahindra launching XYLO and the fact that it is very good product alltogether.
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:57   #843
BHPian

looks like Dodge Durango with small wheels in side view.
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:55   #844
Senior - BHPian

After the showroom visit and the view, I got my first look at the Xylo on the road in Kharghar (MH 06 number) last night. I think it is the same one I had saw a couple of weeks back in Sec 12. Initially I mistook it for a Sumo Grande, but to clear my doubt I inched closer to it and realised it was the Xylo, well it dosent look inspiring on the road.
The engine noise was high, it was actually muting my Scorpio.

Followed it for about 1/2 a Km, tried to come parallel but the guy was not in a mood to let me pass, probably wanted to show the poweress , but the moment I had the gap one press on my mHawk and he disappeared in the RVM.

Final Personal Verdict from me:

1. Looks & styling - Could have been better
2. Interiors - Excellent for a vehicle at its price
3. Power - Adequate for a family car
4. Pricing - Agressive

The looks factor would grow around in time, there was a time when I considered the WagonR as ugly, but during my 5 yesras association with I I actually came around to love its looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
I think XYLO is a fantastic value for money product.
And as a truely indian effort we should all be proud to the fact. Mahindra has constantly been on the right path and producing better and better products right with the Scorpio. But somehow Mahindra themselves seems to be missing on promoting the indianness factor. May be because there has been major contributions from all around the globe i still think we need to be proud to see Mahindra launching XYLO and the fact that it is very good product alltogether.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:39   #845
jp1
BHPian

Xylo first month production sold out...

As per Anand Mahindra, at Davos says, it sold out first month production and huge demand for the vehicle. Reference to xylo (low priced minivan) is towards the end of the article.
Read the full story.
Mahindra not interested in Hummer, Volvo- International Business-News-The Economic Times
Old 28th January 2009, 12:42   #846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
As per Anand Mahindra, at Davos says, it sold out first month production and huge demand for the vehicle. Reference to xylo (low priced minivan) is towards the end of the article.
Read the full story.
Mahindra not interested in Hummer, Volvo- International Business-News-The Economic Times
They said the same thing about the Logan, too. They showed large numbers in the first two months, if I remember right.
Old 28th January 2009, 15:33   #847
Senior - BHPian

Which engine in the Xylo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
...Powerplant is the same as the 2.6 CRDe, rebadged as a 2.5 with "drivetrain improvements" in marketing speak...
This is right : it is the same as the 2.6CRDe, but with some internal modifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I dont think they would badge a 2.6 CRDe as 2.5. The Xylo has a CRDe engine based on the 2.5L engine of the older Bolero, I think...
Looks like I was wrong !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Why would they want to do that, I wonder? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I asked the same question & the reply offered to me was that it was the same CRDe engine doing duty in the Scorpio with some "tensioner & drivetrain" improvements. Make of that whatever you want, I think it's the same engine...
I read somewhere that the engine is the same as the one in the Scorpio 2.6CRDe, albeit with the following change :

the swept volume has been reduced by 100cc (hence it becomes a 2.5 litre engine now), in order to take advantage of some fiscal benefits (related to the cubic capacity of the engine) which are being offered in certain export markets.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 28th January 2009 at 15:34.
Old 28th January 2009, 18:48   #848
Senior - BHPian

One thing about the Xylo's design. It seems like the front and back were designed by two completely differnet teams from completely different departments with no communication with each other. The front is trying to be macho aggresive a brute whereas the rear is simple, elegant with smooth flowing lines. Shows how immature of a company Mahindra is. Good thing they dont appear in the same frame.
Old 28th January 2009, 18:54   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
They said the same thing about the Logan, too. They showed large numbers in the first two months, if I remember right.
I remember too. Hope it turns out better this time...
Old 29th January 2009, 13:03   #850

Why do people name the engines fancily eagle & hawk... a mercedes, bmw or for that sake even a maruti doesnt have fancy names.. this xylo is a good competitor for the sumo grande at the best and not the innova
Old 29th January 2009, 16:41   #851
Senior - BHPian

Most of the vehicles & engines are code named during development, these names are hardly used commercially.

Somehow M&M in its recent avtar is trying to catch on the fancy of the buyer by banking on catchy engine names apart from the name of the car itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekardhana View Post
Why do people name the engines fancily eagle & hawk... a mercedes, bmw or for that sake even a maruti doesnt have fancy names.. this xylo is a good competitor for the sumo grande at the best and not the innova
Old 29th January 2009, 17:14   #852
BHPian

I have been seeing a couple of xylos on the road. at first i dint like the looks when i saw in the paper. Then as i keep seeing it on the roads more and more, i kinda like it now. Actually it grows on you. Its a fantastic effort by our INDIAN Engineers at M&M and that too in such difficult economic times.
For the price, it is a true VFM package that is practical for most growing urban families plus low maintenance costs that always come with M&M.
Old 29th January 2009, 19:38   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
I have been seeing a couple of xylos on the road. at first i dint like the looks when i saw in the paper. Then as i keep seeing it on the roads more and more, i kinda like it now. Actually it grows on you. Its a fantastic effort by our INDIAN Engineers at M&M and that too in such difficult economic times.
For the price, it is a true VFM package that is practical for most growing urban families plus low maintenance costs that always come with M&M.
True. I saw a couple of Xylos on road and the vehicle for sure doesnt look as bad as its made it out to be in the pictures and on the forums -something akin to the A-star - to quote a recent example.
When Mahindra launched the Scorpio, even then, I had found it to be too flimsy in its design. But over the years its grown around you and today nobody takes offense to its design.
I think the Xylo will take the same route to peoples mind.
Though Mahindra should had done a better job with the exteriors. Interior packaging is fantastic though.
Old 29th January 2009, 21:55   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Most of the vehicles & engines are code named during development, these names are hardly used commercially.

Somehow M&M in its recent avtar is trying to catch on the fancy of the buyer by banking on catchy engine names apart from the name of the car itself.
Its popular in America to name engines. Some popular ones are

GM -> Vortec, ECOTEC, Duramax, quad4
Chrysler -> Hemi, Eagle?
Ford -> Triton, Zetec, Duratec, Rocam
Toyota -> i-force V8
Old 30th January 2009, 09:30   #855
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Since they named the engine, the whole world (from their production floor people, to dealers to general public) knows it is using a slightly different engine compared to scorpio. How many of us knows about engine specs for other makes? It is a good thing.
Or are we suggesting we should follow Merc/ bmw and what they do is always right?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks