Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:15   #46
shark80

Like most here, I would like stress on "It all depends on the roads u take".

Me and my friend live in the same area, we both work together and sit right next to each other in the same cubicle. We live in Vignan nagar in Bangalore and work in whitefield, which is 11 kms from home.

My friend occasionally drives a Honda city and hops onto his pulsar most times and i take my bike.

My friend since he is a non-bangalorean takes the jam packed main roads to transverse between home and office(he goes via marathalli). It takes about 1.5 hours in car and about 45 mins in bike for my friend.

I avoid main roads during peak hours, I always take the cross roads, metal roads, short cuts, alternative roads to transverse. My travel time is just 25 mins.

so you see, its all on how you plan your travel, there are alternative means to reach the destination faster. Problem with Bangalore is with non-bangaloreans outnumbering bangaloreans with a huge margin.
* All the non-bangalorean go to MG Road for shopping unlike locals - MG Road is choke-a-block.
* All the non-bangalorean take the main roads to travel cause quiet obviously they dont know the routes -Main roads are packed to the core.

my two paise

Old 22nd August 2008, 11:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But for Bangalore, Delhi's traffic could be slowest: Study - National News – News – MSN India - News
Bangalore avg : 10kmph
Delhi : 15kmph
Mumbai : 18kmph
Kolkata : 20kmph
Chennai : 22kmph
Let us take a figure by ourselves,

I am from bangalore, i take 25mins for 12kms at 8:00am, from sadashivnagar to Indiranagar. and back at 5:30pm approx. 40mins. Around 2.7 mins/km.

That makes 22.22kmph

Regards
Tabrez

Regards
Tabrez
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:13   #48
BHPian

I stay in J P Nagar, and work at Indiranagar. one way 15kms.

Using Bike. YBX 2001 - 1.5lac covered.

On Monday to Friday will take 30min @ 8:45am and return back at 6:30pm with 45min max travel.
On Saturdays i reach office in 20min max and return trip is a max of 30min.

Using Car. Indica V2 Dlx 2004 - 45k run.

On Monday to Friday will take 45min @ 8:30am and return back at 6:30pm with 1hr min travel.
On Saturdays i reach office in 20min max and return trip is a max of 30min.

That's not bad at all.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark80 View Post
Like most here, I would like stress on "It all depends on the roads u take".
I hope you understand that this figure is a city average & not specific to all routes & areas.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I hope you understand that this figure is a city average & not specific to all routes & areas.
Looks like the quoted figure is more towards the slower times than average. Maybe we can have a city average for tbhp members hoping they travel all kinds of routes.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:51   #51
BANNED

shark80,

It doesn't depend only on the roads you take. It also depends on what time you take them.

If I were on a two wheeler, I would not hesitate to take the side roads because I can always turn back if stuck. Making a U-turn on some side roads in Bangalore in a four wheeler is no joke.

How does 30 minutes from the Ivy Unwind Island, Sarjapur Marathahalli Ring Road, Kadubisanahalli to Hebbal flyover sound? All the way on the ORR (and via Krishnarajapuram) - but at 11:30 pm last night.

However, I would appreciate you sharing your route from Vigyan Nagar to Whitefield.
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

The concept of "average" takes into account those people who take alternate routes through the various crosses and mains too. It also takes into account those who commute in non-rush hours.

I dont see what the fuss is all about with these figures...
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:50   #53
SuperSyn

If we lived in planned cities the average city speed would be at least 35 Kmph if not higher.

The trouble is same poor planning is seen in many new sat. cities coming up near old cities. Indians lack the ability to plan for growth.

Old 22nd August 2008, 14:55   #54
Senior - BHPian

Its not surprising that BLR is slowest. It has hardly any planned roads. All the inter-state traffic moves through the city. There is no rule to prevent truck movement all through the city between 8AM-8PM like in Delhi.
And its probably one rare city, where you can be stuck in traffic jams at midnight :-( Has happened to me ~3 times on Old madras road (the most recent being 14th Aug) - here I am referring to the kind which atleast needs 25-30 minutes to travel 1-2km.

Cheers,
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:57   #55
Team-BHP Support

This is one of the most amusing threads I have ever started.
All over the street experiences section we have people lamenting about traffic jams and slow moving traffic, and now that we have a thread about how bad their cities roads are, people are coming out in droves saying "Its not that bad"
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:39   #56
BHPian

I leave in C V Raman Nagar and commute to my office daily via Old Airport Road to Whitefield. It takes me on an average 30Mins on my Honda Aviator.

IMO, The main culprits are BMTC buses and their improperly structured bus stops on all bottle necks. The bus drivers often seen halting the bus in middle of the road thereby blocking the traffice flow. Also to blame the Govt. for not setting enuf space at bus stops for buses to halt. One more point to highlight is, there are hundreds of new vehicles sold daily but where is the crores of Road Tax going ? Many pedistrians seen crossing the road risking their lives, where are the proposed Sky walks ???

I only hope Metro will bring in some good change, hope they MAINTAIN it well !
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:47   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Things will be slow in a pensioners' paradise . What's the hurry?

Seriously though, I've been observing a minor improvement in traffic between BTM and ORR (going towards Sarjapur). The only thing that ticks me off are these stupid lorries with axles broken down or with leaking oil in the RIGHT MOST LANE (which I consider the fast lane) of the road. And in our perfect Indian "My way or the Highway" attitude, everyone starts cutting off everyone else.

Today, there is a tanker lorry stopped near the Military area. I went past that at 9AM today and I again went past that at 2PM. No change, only the cleaner guy is under the lorry instead of inside it now. Can't they just bring a crane or something and yank it to the side?

Anyways, I am done venting for the Friday. Is there anyway we can educate people that driving in lanes will increase traffic speed?
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

My average is as follow

Morning total distance: 17 Kms one way: Travel time 45 - 50 mins

Evening total distance: 18.5 Kms (Thanks to many one ways in our route)- Travel time: 1:20 Mins to 1:40 mins

Morning average around 18 - 20 Kmph

Evening average around 10 - 12 Kmph

So, statistics put by Tanveer (by MSN) is approximately correct for me.
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:43   #59
shark80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
shark80,

It doesn't depend only on the roads you take. It also depends on what time you take them.

If I were on a two wheeler, I would not hesitate to take the side roads because I can always turn back if stuck. Making a U-turn on some side roads in Bangalore in a four wheeler is no joke.

How does 30 minutes from the Ivy Unwind Island, Sarjapur Marathahalli Ring Road, Kadubisanahalli to Hebbal flyover sound? All the way on the ORR (and via Krishnarajapuram) - but at 11:30 pm last night.

However, I would appreciate you sharing your route from Vigyan Nagar to Whitefield.
Yeap I understand the problems when u take the four wheeler in a narrow lanes, the lane i take is a tricky one for the four wheelers.

I work in tata elxsi(near ITPL), take left and hoody junction, go straight till i hit a small junction where there is a stan-chart atm on the right(just before shell PB), take a right U turn towards Gopalan Internation school, take left after volvo bus building factory, go straight till u hit dead-end, take right(very narrow road, only one car can go through at a time), first left, dead-end left, compulsary right, and then go straight instead of following the road, you will hit metal road here, go straight, dead-end take left, you hit ring road, across the road, (here u have options, u can either go straight or) take right, straight -> dead-end, left, straight, dead-end, right, this road leads you to kaggadaspura railway gate, get through this, you are home

Sorry if its confusing, tried to make it simpler, couldnt.... you can check the route using wikimapia or Google earth. Again, this route is best suited for two wheelers and during peak hours, kaggadaspura railway gate is unforgiving for four wheelers. If you are planning to go home during peak hours, best route to reach cv raman nagar areas.

whitefield to CV Raman Nagar in just 20 mins, even if its peak hours or middle of the night

Old 22nd August 2008, 18:36   #60
BHPian

My armchair analyses for Bengalooru's log jam:

1. Pathetic roads: Roads just disintegrate within days. If it rains, roads just get washed out. I wonder what an Alien observing from space might make of Old Madras Road? Perhaps a landing site for a future mission? Like NASA aimed at some craters on Mars?

2. Bikes: A majority of them drive like idiots. My favorite: one bike "attacks" you from the left and another from the right, both fitted with car horns. As you contemplate the impending scratch on your humble Maruti one of these daredevils does the "Dhoom" manouvere and cuts in front of you. You have to brake to avoid hitting Mr. Dhoom. (I think the reasons for the few fatalities are the low speed and those ribbons sourced from different temples/darghas. God is surely watching over these young and reckless.

3. Cabs: They will not hesitate to cut you off, if their lives depended on it. You may be in the left most lane, and near an intersection. They will overtake you and turn left in front of you.

4. Autos: These were designed with Bangalore's speed in mind: 10 KMPH. With poor rear views, they hog the center and refuse to budge to slightly faster traffic. And they have this jerk action to squeeze into whatever space opens up.

5. Buses: You cant see one Bus stopping near the shelter. It is usually one lane away. In some cases it is because the desperate public would be on the road. In some cases, it is because the bus drivers would be having a death contest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks