Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 22:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

seems like the end of the road for the dicor. I guess it means that Its not as good as the IDI TCIC engine ( which seems to be the third option). Is the petrol engine a fiat one ?
Old 20th August 2008, 22:19   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
No mention about ABS/Airbags ? Could have atleast made it optional!!

Guess another one headed to the Taxi stables!

Even I am disappointed at the lack of ABS at least as an option, however I don't get this continuous obsession by people (not you in particular) to attach the Taxi tag to any Tata vehicle and smirk at it.

In Europe most of the taxis are Mercs... does that mean that Mercedes is to be sneered at? Even in poor/middle income countries, Skoda Octavias are used as Taxis, and the Toyota corolla is probably the most commonly used Taxi in Asian countries...does that detract from the many people who buy Lauras or Corolla's in India looking for premium status?

And what is so bad about the Indicas being used a Taxis? It many ways it is a credit to the car itself that it is considered best for our conditions, economical to buy and run, can seat 5 people (not Japanese/pymies/hobbits) and their luggage in comfort and can take years of beating from our roads/traffic/drivers and still keep going.
Old 20th August 2008, 22:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
It might only be a nicely made brochure - but the panel gaps seem to have reduced a fair bit. Any clue about prices ?
The Indica Vista is supposed to be assembled on a new line setup by Kuka of Germany with 300 robots. It is said to be on par with the lines used by Mercedes and BMW. By comparison the existing line for the V2 has only 70 robots.

So the quality is bound to improve.
Old 20th August 2008, 22:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
The Indica Vista is supposed to be assembled on a new line setup by Kuka of Germany with 300 robots. It is said to be on par with the lines used by Mercedes and BMW. By comparison the existing line for the V2 has only 70 robots.

So the quality is bound to improve.
Its actually better than the indian merc and BMW plants, saw it in some report on TV, dunno how much of it was true tho ......
Old 20th August 2008, 22:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Even I am disappointed at the lack of ABS at least as an option, however I don't get this continuous obsession by people (not you in particular) to attach the Taxi tag to any Tata vehicle and smirk at it.

In Europe most of the taxis are Mercs... does that mean that Mercedes is to be sneered at? Even in poor/middle income countries, Skoda Octavias are used as Taxis, and the Toyota corolla is probably the most commonly used Taxi in Asian countries...does that detract from the many people who buy Lauras or Corolla's in India looking for premium status?

And what is so bad about the Indicas being used a Taxis? It many ways it is a credit to the car itself that it is considered best for our conditions, economical to buy and run, can seat 5 people (not Japanese/pymies/hobbits) and their luggage in comfort and can take years of beating from our roads/traffic/drivers and still keep going.
I've seen Mercs and Octavias used as Taxis in European countries. Havent been to any poor country as such. But the point here is, no matter how hard Tata might fight to project it as a passenger car, the Indica is now synonymous with the word "Taxi" (No offense meant to Indica owners here). And what I meant to say is that Tata hasnt put forward such a great model (features actually) that there could be a significant difference between the Indica v2 and Indica v3.

Anyways coming back to the topic.
1: Alloys are not standard even in the top end model
2: The T-Shaped steering wheel is actually "3-spoke" ?
3: The features of this car are inferior to that of the Swift. The Diesel has the same engine, and the petrol is slightly underpowered. So I dont see any threat to the Swift as of now.

But all said and done, the mantra here is to wait and watch. Give the car some time to prove itself
Old 20th August 2008, 22:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if they're gonna sell this to the taxi crowd right now , i mean, Its not available in white as mentioned in the brochure !
@ fountainheader, one word: price. Tata knows how to play this card well . I havea feeling they'll be priced along the lines of the indigo CS's

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th August 2008 at 22:49.
Old 20th August 2008, 22:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thats the most stupid design of the dashboard I've ever seen! Look where the instrument cluster is! What if the driver wants to look at the speedometer while doing a 100 kmph... He should stop the car and look at it or what!

Looks like TATA badly wanted something innovative in their design... no matter what....

May be it is designed like this to cut costs while producing LHD and RHD versions... Whatever....

Last edited by clevermax : 20th August 2008 at 23:14.
Old 20th August 2008, 23:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
I've seen Mercs and Octavias used as Taxis in European countries. Havent been to any poor country as such. But the point here is, no matter how hard Tata might fight to project it as a passenger car, the Indica is now synonymous with the word "Taxi" (No offense meant to Indica owners here). And what I meant to say is that Tata hasnt put forward such a great model (features actually) that there could be a significant difference between the Indica v2 and Indica v3.

Anyways coming back to the topic.
1: Alloys are not standard even in the top end model
2: The T-Shaped steering wheel is actually "3-spoke" ?
3: The features of this car are inferior to that of the Swift. The Diesel has the same engine, and the petrol is slightly underpowered. So I dont see any threat to the Swift as of now.

But all said and done, the mantra here is to wait and watch. Give the car some time to prove itself
Do you get Alloy wheels standard on any Diesel Swift? IIRC Tata dealers have an option of installing alloys or extra cost so those that want can avail of it. Or you can go and get it installed elsewhere. That is assuming that Tata will not release such a variant in the future - if they plan to export it (which they do) you can rest assured that ABS/Alloys/Airbags and other features are already integrated and tested, its just a matter of time before they release such a model.

"The features of this car are inferior to that of the Swift."

How so? Does Swift Diesel offer any of the following:
-Adjustable steering
-Adjustable driver's seat
-Enough space to seat 5 people comfortably
-Adequate luggage space
-Split folding rear seat
-Power outlet at the back

"Tata hasnt put forward such a great model (features actually) that there could be a significant difference between the Indica v2 and Indica v3."

The Indica V3 is a completely new car designed from ground up. It has:
-New engines and powertrain
-Completely new suspension
-Better driver comfort - adjustable steering and driver seat
-Larger with more space
-Even better rear seat space
-All new interiors and plastics
So it is a significant difference from the V2, unless you are only considering the shape of the car.

And I am actually quite glad that Indicas are used as Taxis, at least they are spacious and comfortable. The few occasions when I have had to go to the airport in a Maruti Omni taxi have been positively scary.
Old 20th August 2008, 23:18   #54
BHPian

Excellent Scoop! It remains to be seen if the cars are trouble free and not like their first batch of Indica's!
Old 20th August 2008, 23:19   #55
Senior - BHPian

wow nice thread... since when did a TATA let alone any thread get so many responses in ONE day???
Old 20th August 2008, 23:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thats the most stupid design of the dashboard I've ever seen! Look where the instrument cluster is! What if the driver wants to look at the speedometer while doing a 100 kmph... He should stop the car and look at it or what!
You look sideways rather than down. But this just shows how perceptions differ. I thought the instrument cluster looks fantastic.

Oh.. and the 2DIN slot seems to be just perfect to put in a touchscreen LCD.
Old 20th August 2008, 23:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

holy! thats news!

Looks good and interiors are not Tata! Hope the B thing is Toyota quality or atleast Suzuki quality.

Look at the seats !
Old 20th August 2008, 23:24   #58
BHPian

Good effort! Mileage may be a tad lower than swift ddis as the weight of the car is more. This car will surely give the swift a run for its money as it is much more spacious (even the current Indica has more space than the swift!)
Tata's have proved with the current indica/indigo platform thet they are good at offering multiple choices to the customers with respect to trim levels and engine options. I'm sure ABS/Airbags will be offered soon and i wouldn't be surprised if the dream of launching a the "Indica sport" finally takes shape in form of the Quadrajet with VGT producing 90BHP.
Shutlines look far better than the current model and dashboard gaps look much better too.
As others have mentioned - it seems curtains for the 1.4 Dicor engine.
The integrated ICE is a first for Tata and is a Delphi developed unit (as is the speedo console). Hope it sounds better than the swifts system.
I can't wait to TD the car!
Old 20th August 2008, 23:26   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal-leo View Post
I thought Indica will be available with a multi Jet.. , Same as in Swift and Palio..
Well the quadrajet is the multijet
Old 20th August 2008, 23:28   #60
BHPian

Looks goods.
Wish they had given an option of ABS,Would have seen many buyers including my brother.
Any idea on the release dates?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed