Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2008, 18:27   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Not true. Only the paint shop was imported second hand, from Nissan's defunct Australian plant. The assembly line was brand new, created with inputs provided by British engineering firms.
Are you sure? Didnt they pick up the whole assembly line from Nissan's Aussie plant? This was what was extensively quoted as their cost-reduction strategy for the Indica which brought down the development AND production cost of the new car to a mere fraction of what it would've cost elsewhere in the world.
Old 21st August 2008, 18:45   #122
Team-BHP Support

There are some subtle and not so subtle configuration changes that Tata seems to have made to save on costs. Of course things have been so cleverly convoluted that many a times people may not even notice these.

First of all, behind all that variant names if you actually look closely this is how it all maps with the current diesel variants.
* Terra - DLS
* Aqua - DLG
* Aura - DLX

Now having said that lets look at the cost cutting measures they implemented.
* The top of the line DLX currently comes with a leather wrapped steering. Aura skips on that.
* Both the DLX and DLG have rear fog lamps. In the Vista only the Aura variant gets rear fog lamps.
* All the variants in the V2 range get LED based high mounted rear stop lamp. In Vista only the Aura has LED based lamp. The other two get simple bulbs.
* 60:40 flip and then fold for the rear bench is standard on all the three versions of V2. In Vista the 60:40 split and then fold is only available in the Aura trim level.
* Tacho is available for the DLS variant of V2. In Vista however the Terra trim level has to do without the Tachometer.

Also, considering that the TDi variant is not available in the Aura trim levels it basically means that the TDi buyers will now be cut off from many of the above features altogether.

There maybe other such subtle differences but I noted these as of now. There are also some glaring differences which are ostensibly to cut on costs. Like the pet peeve of most of our members about the centrally placed speedo console and the rear suspension which is different from that in V2.
Old 21st August 2008, 18:46   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
I am someone who bought an Indica just for its ABS and Airbags as late as May this year.
In a way it makes me feel good that Vista doesn't have ABS/Airbags as of now. I can now postpone my guilt of buying V2 TCIC just a few months before its upgrade.
heck, even the V2 Dicor never had the ABS/Airbags option. Something I find quite strange...

@zappo. The rear foglamps thingie isnt much of cost cutting. In the current indica , the rear foglamps are fully functional( with even bulbs in place) in all models, just not wired up

And the design of the new tail lamp leads me to believe that the same will happen with this indica as well

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st August 2008 at 18:51.
Old 21st August 2008, 18:53   #124
BHPian

Only hope that Vista addresses some generation's old Tata Motors problems like High Engine Noise Levels, Electric malfunctions, Rattles etc. Nevertheless, the effort to bring out a fresh look Indica is very much appreciated. Keep it going Tata.
Old 21st August 2008, 18:59   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
@zappo. The rear foglamps thingie isnt much of cost cutting. In the current indica , the rear foglamps are fully functional( with even bulbs in place) in all models, just not wired up

And the design of the new tail lamp leads me to believe that the same will happen with this indica as well
Oh it is. I mean, in a mass product even if they save Rs.200 per piece it turns out to be a pretty big number annually. Now, you are correct when you say it is there in current V2. However with Vista that is not the case. Only the Aura model gets it. Remember, no rear fog means no controls on the stock, no display in the speedo console etc.
Old 21st August 2008, 22:18   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Not true. Only the paint shop was imported second hand, from Nissan's defunct Australian plant. The assembly line was brand new, created with inputs provided by British engineering firms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Are you sure? Didnt they pick up the whole assembly line from Nissan's Aussie plant? This was what was extensively quoted as their cost-reduction strategy for the Indica which brought down the development AND production cost of the new car to a mere fraction of what it would've cost elsewhere in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
True, they got assembly line for 90 crores when a new one costed 400 crores. This was mentioned in an article in India Today on making of the Indica. It is how they creat Indica with a budget of Rs. 1800 crores when it would have cost 12000 crores any where else.
I'll check my archives over the weekend but I think what I've said is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
* All the variants in the V2 range get LED based high mounted rear stop lamp. In Vista only the Aura has LED based lamp. The other two get simple bulbs.
All variants in V2 used to have LED centre mounted stop lamp. A few months back, this practice was stopped and only DLG and DLX now come with LED stop lamp, the lower versions getting bulb based stop lamp, the same design as Santro.
Compared to LED or neon based lamps, bulb based stop lamps light up a fraction of a second later and so there are safety implications of such a move.

Last edited by directinjection : 21st August 2008 at 22:27.
Old 21st August 2008, 22:26   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sid, Thank you !

The New Indica sure has a few pleasant surprises. Going to check it out soon. Till then, the feedback I got from my cousin who went to see it is that the car is s p a c i o u s, and much better fit & finish.

Aura will be the model to go for. A pricing close to /better than that of the Palio SDX, and the Palio is dead. On the flip side, Swift fans can rejoice a little cause they could get the DDiS a little faster now.

The slightly longer WB will mean handling that'll be a little different. Hope the rear wheels dont lean inwards on full-load, like they do on the V2.

@junky, nice tweak that. Liked the way you aligned the top of the HL to the belt line.
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Surely New Indica looks promising and of course all TATA vehicles have oodles of space(not sure about Nano though)

Can anybody post the prices of these variants ?
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:41   #129
Senior - BHPian

Taxi image may deter a lot of potential customers but I strongly believe the deterred lot is no way comparable in size or business volumes to the taxi walas.
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:41   #130
BHPian

Looks good, except the console in the center and hope they will price it well and ensure that there is no brand dilution like the current version.
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:52   #131
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The petrol is a major major dissapointment... just 65 ps for a car weighing 1075 kgs!
Not just HP take a look at torque. Will be annoying to drive in city traffic.

Old 22nd August 2008, 11:09   #132
BHPian

absolutely the petrol version is a complete no no.

I might me wrong but when the Grande was shown on brochures and website the Panel gaps looked very neat. But when seen in flesh and blood its just better than the other TM cars.

I hope that's not the same case in the VISTA. otherwise the already declining sales will further fall down and it would become a total Taxi valas car.

I feel that the Grill and the HL should have been little smaller. it would have made the Car look more smarter.

From side profile it looks very similar to the Matiz and from the front it looks little bit like the Fabia with the Belt line and the bonnet lines.

I wonder what TM will do to the existing V2 range.

It could be something like this
sub 2lac - Nano
sub 3.5 lac - V2. with improvement on the existing car.
above 3 lac - Vista.
that would make a good line of Small vehicles.
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:16   #133
SuperSyn

A few changes:

Quote:

Specification Dicor Vista Change
Height (mm) 1500 1550 +50 mm
Width (mm) 1485 1695 +210 mm
Length (mm) 3690 3795 +105 mm
Wheelbase (mm) 2400 2470 +70 mm
This thing has grown significantly. The width seems more down to the mirros, should be roomier and yet aomewhat more difficult to drive on crowded city streets. Waaah.

PS: Is there any way to use the code tag or insert table on this forum. I do not see these basic options which are available on most forums what gives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Havent been to any poor country as such.[/b]
Alright this is a great howler

On another note Fountainheader, the Indica Vista will threaten Swift because it has far more volume.

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd August 2008 at 14:53. Reason: Please use the same post to manage content for upto 20 minutes

Old 22nd August 2008, 11:28   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Taxi image may deter a lot of potential customers but I strongly believe the deterred lot is no way comparable in size or business volumes to the taxi walas.
If at all somebody is bothered just because the car is used as taxi, he does not deserve the car at all. I would always go by the car, not by who uses it. Anyways, those bothered are quite less in number I would say.
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:30   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
If at all somebody is bothered just because the car is used as taxi, he does not deserve the car at all. I would always go by the car, not by who uses it. Anyways, those bothered are quite less in number I would say.
Exactly, how is it the car's fault that it is cheap, practical, and reliable
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks