Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:57   #136
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Exactly, how is it the car's fault that it is cheap, practical, and reliable
This is a very Indian approach, even cheap entry level cars are status symbols to certain category of people in our society.
The practical difference Taxi usage makes is you get treated a bit different by police and hotel staff.

Last edited by SuperSyn : 22nd August 2008 at 11:58.

Old 22nd August 2008, 12:17   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
If at all somebody is bothered just because the car is used as taxi, he does not deserve the car at all. I would always go by the car, not by who uses it. Anyways, those bothered are quite less in number I would say.
What's wrong is people are deterred by the taxi image? There are many who would not like it if they put their hard earned money into buying a new car and then people (friends & family) "laughing" at them for buying a taxi. Not everyone sees how good or bad the car is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
This is a very Indian approach, even cheap entry level cars are status symbols to certain category of people in our society.
The practical difference Taxi usage makes is you get treated a bit different by police and hotel staff.
Addition - and also by people if you stop near a bus-stop. Most people would scram to get in an Indica, especially if it's white. without even bothering to see if it's a taxi or not. But the same is also true for Innova & Tavera.

Last edited by asr245 : 22nd August 2008 at 12:22.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:18   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
I'll check my archives over the weekend but I think what I've said is correct.
Google Singh hai na! These are not conclusive sources, but presentations by others. Search news too - every bit of news talks about the Nissan Assembly Plant being bought, not the paint shop - why would Tata buy the paint shop, when it had a paint shop that was used by MB initially?

Tata Indica

Tata Indica

Free Case Studies - Tata Indica - The Making Of The Small Car - The Outsourcing Strategy* - Free Resources,Case studies,Book reviews,Articles-ICMR Case Studies and Management Resources

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd August 2008 at 12:20.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:23   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Specification Dicor Vista Change
Width (mm) 1485 1695 +210 mm
21 cm wider than before !!
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:32   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
What's wrong is people are deterred by the taxi image? There are many who would not like it if they put their hard earned money into buying a new car and then people (friends & family) "laughing" at them for buying a taxi. Not everyone sees how good or bad the car is.

Addition - and also by people if you stop near a bus-stop. Most people would scram to get in an Indica, especially if it's white. without even bothering to see if it's a taxi or not. But the same is also true for Innova & Tavera.
Boss, I didn't say that those people are wrong. I said, they just don't deserve the car if they are to ignore a good car just because of specific users. People with weak self image will anyway be laughed at for whatever they do, irrespective of what car they have. I owned Indica, and I assure you that I never knew that there is something called taxi image until the forums started talking about it. Sometimes forums spread bad things. Off topic, but I remember how team-bhp talked as if going forward in the parking lot before going reverse in the morning is a common thing. This is just an example of bad awareness of something which is otherwise not even known to most people. And many might just bother what we talk about here rather than what is in real.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:34   #141
BHPian

Nice scoop, Sidindica!

The brochure claims tubeless tyres across all variants, for the better.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:20   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes forums spread bad things. Off topic, but I remember how team-bhp talked as if going forward in the parking lot before going reverse in the morning is a common thing. This is just an example of bad awareness of something which is otherwise not even known to most people. And many might just bother what we talk about here rather than what is in real.
Before joining the forum i was not even aware that there is something like a Taxi image with Indica as in day to day life i had not heard anything like that.
And realistically if we see around us in each family someone or the other do have an Indica or Indigo as its quiet economical to the pocket so i dont see any relatives laughing at you for keeping a TATA product.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:29   #143
Senior - BHPian

A while back weren't Amby's / Fiats (Premier Padmini) rule the taxi roost, and yet have their own market? There are E/S-Class Mercs with yellow boards - agreed Indicas and Indigos out number that miniscule minority - but then to each, his own.

But then don't the taxi usage say that the car is reliable, comfortable and economical too? I have seen Indica cabs getting pushed to 60 or 80 in 3rd gear every time (IT / BPO cabs, anyone??!) - and yet they dont conk out for more than 1.5L KMs on the clock!
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:33   #144
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Am not sure whether this was address before but don't u think the vista is a blow for Stile MJD?
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:56   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss, I didn't say that those people are wrong. I said, they just don't deserve the car if they are to ignore a good car just because of specific users. People with weak self image will anyway be laughed at for whatever they do, irrespective of what car they have. I owned Indica, and I assure you that I never knew that there is something called taxi image until the forums started talking about it. Sometimes forums spread bad things. Off topic, but I remember how team-bhp talked as if going forward in the parking lot before going reverse in the morning is a common thing. This is just an example of bad awareness of something which is otherwise not even known to most people. And many might just bother what we talk about here rather than what is in real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Before joining the forum i was not even aware that there is something like a Taxi image with Indica as in day to day life i had not heard anything like that.
And realistically if we see around us in each family someone or the other do have an Indica or Indigo as its quiet economical to the pocket so i dont see any relatives laughing at you for keeping a TATA product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
A while back weren't Amby's / Fiats (Premier Padmini) rule the taxi roost, and yet have their own market? There are E/S-Class Mercs with yellow boards - agreed Indicas and Indigos out number that miniscule minority - but then to each, his own.

I knew about the "taxi image" problem before I joined this forum. And I wouldn't be calling it "weak self image" either. Things might have been different for you if your wife or kids or parents had thought the same. Maybe TATA thought about it too and that's why they might keep the Indicab and Vista for different types of customers. IMO the problem is valid and you will know what I am talking about if you stop your Indica (especially if it's white) near any bus-stand in Gurgaon/Noida. You are very less likely to face the same problem with even a WagonR. Nothing against the car though. It's a personal opinion/choice anyway. Sorry to other people for going
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:05   #146
BHPian

Quote:
"Laughing" it is a pure Imagination. One should buy the car that he and his family likes and not for his friends or the relatives.

Quote:
also by people if you stop near a bus-stop. Most people would scram to get in an Indica, especially if it's white. without even bothering to see if it's a taxi or not. But the same is also true for Innova & Tavera.
Put "Ladies Only" Sticker

Last edited by TeddyBear : 22nd August 2008 at 14:12.
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:26   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

But then don't the taxi usage say that the car is reliable, comfortable and economical too? I have seen Indica cabs getting pushed to 60 or 80 in 3rd gear every time (IT / BPO cabs, anyone??!) - and yet they dont conk out for more than 1.5L KMs on the clock!
If you travel to Germany and much of Europe the car of choice as a taxi is the E-Class merc. It is the "Ambassador" of that region. And, in the US the Lincoln Town Car is a similar choice for the livery cab driver and the CEO alike.That doesn't prevent private owners from buying the car. And, that is why homegrown auto companies thrive in their respective regions. Unlike here. Where, Suzuki is King.

Last edited by nickatnite : 22nd August 2008 at 14:28.
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:38   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe TATA thought about it too and that's why they might keep the Indicab and Vista for different types of customers.
As long as cab owners find the car as value for money, there is no stopping them from buying it irrespective of what the Tata thought about it. And it is definitely funny for somebody to say that he will not buy the car if it is also used as cab
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:39   #149
BHPian

Thailand/Dubai has Corolla's which are used as taxi. So does that make the cars inferior. People still buy them. I think it is a Indian mentality.
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:45   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, can we stop the taxi part of the discussion ?

IIRC, the point has been discussed enough, across manufacturers & countries. You can even have a RR Phantom for a cab if you want to.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks