Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:51   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Thailand/Dubai has Corolla's which are used as taxi. So does that make the cars inferior. People still buy them. I think it is a Indian mentality.
Philippines has the Corolla Altis (that is what its called there even a year ago!) for cabs!
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:57   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
If you travel to Germany and much of Europe the car of choice as a taxi is the E-Class merc. It is the "Ambassador" of that region. And, in the US the Lincoln Town Car is a similar choice for the livery cab driver and the CEO alike.That doesn't prevent private owners from buying the car. And, that is why homegrown auto companies thrive in their respective regions. Unlike here. Where, Suzuki is King.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Thailand/Dubai has Corolla's which are used as taxi. So does that make the cars inferior. People still buy them. I think it is a Indian mentality.
Who said anything about inferiority?

And I am quite sure that in Germany & Thailand taxis are marked properly with a sign on the roof and you wouldn't find people running to get into your car if you stopped near a crowded bus-stop.
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:58   #153
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Addition - and also by people if you stop near a bus-stop. Most people would scram to get in an Indica, especially if it's white. without even bothering to see if it's a taxi or not. But the same is also true for Innova & Tavera.
This is surreal! I have been in white Indicas many times while picking or dropping relatives at airports, bus stands etc and no one charged inside or towards the car! Good lord keep your car doors secured if the things are so bad in your area!!

I think not launching white color initially is good decision by Tata. They'll get all the weak minded "I-dunn-wanna-buy-me-a-taxi" crowd sewn up and then they can launch the white color after a couple months

Old 22nd August 2008, 15:05   #154
Senior - BHPian

If all the taxi talks are done can we havy any new updates about the original Subject(vista). Anyone?
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:09   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
I think not launching white color initially is good decision by Tata. They'll get all the weak minded "I-dunn-wanna-buy-me-a-taxi" crowd sewn up and then they can launch the white color after a couple months
There is no rule that cabs should be white in color. The taxi Ikon, Logan, Fiesta are all in different fancy colors. Yeah. White might be cheaper and preferred by cab owners. But I just wanted to point out that it is not required.

Ok. If Tata really wanted to stop cab owners from buying Vista, they should price high (specially the diesel version), should cut down the inside cabin space and boot storage space. That only can help. Or they should launch Nano in super cool diesel engine, which will make cab owners think of before buying an Indica.

BTW, people who flock to any non-cab car can also flock to any car. It is something to do with people with less education. I know that in villages, people still buy car to ferry people and earn a living. This is without the yellow board. They are mostly maruti cars.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:10   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
This is surreal! I have been in white Indicas many times while picking or dropping relatives at airports, bus stands etc and no one charged inside or towards the car! Good lord keep your car doors secured if the things are so bad in your area!!
It is at particular points e.g. if you are in a Indica or Innova or Tavera (white in particular) and you stop at rajnigandha chowk in Noida at the entrance of DND, you are surrounded from all sides with people eager to get in.

Even maruti 800s and omni are used as cabs (yellow+black) in Delhi but that doesn't mean i wouldn't buy a maruti 800 or omni as I wouldn't be buying that car in that color. would you? That's the whole point of this argument. It's like going to a mall where you happen to wear the same white & black combination as the sales person and then somebody confuses you to be a sales-person. Some might be offended by that and not wear that combination while going to that mall/shop again. Others might not.

This has gone way off-topic and is my last post on this taxi subject.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:18   #157
tez
BHPian

guys can we have some price updates for indica vista please.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:24   #158
BHPian

I have made calls to four different dealers today and all of them claimed they have no info on the impending launch.

I asked them for availabulity of test drive and only Auto-link guy said that the car will be available in September, others said they have no knowledge as of now.

Why are Delhi dealers acting in this manner?????
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:39   #159
BHPian

My opinion on the looks of the cars is that its similar to old GETZ the model one before GETZ prime. The Engines looks promising .Again the sales would matter based on pricing. And central speedo is not appreciated.Otherwise everything looks fine.
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:17   #160
BHPian

spoke to fortune at powai today. The vista will be on display from tomorrow afternoon, and test drives will be done from monday onwards. No disclosures on pricing till tomorrow.
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:59   #161
BHPian

Manipal Motors Bangalore informed me that 5 demo vehicles have been despatched on 21st and are expected by 24/25th. He's promised a test drive as soon as he gets the car.
I am going to try with the other dealers today!
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:17   #162
Senior - BHPian

ah, so its official then
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:18   #163
BHPian

Got a call from one of the sales persons at BU bhandhari , Pune.
He confirmed the launch on the new Indica tomorrow and Test drives to be available Sunday onwards.
Will be going for sure.
Keep watching this space for more updates.
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:08   #164
BHPian

thats gr8

I will also be there on Sunday then
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:59   #165
Senior - BHPian

Car-Agey saab,

Tell them of team bhp. Else come to dhingra. For once they've promised TDs on Sunday (normally a off day as per municipality rules!) Let's see. Suman saab, mil ke chalen?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed