Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2005, 11:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Forester

India's car buyer's are nitwits...hordes of people are willing to fork out 10-12 lakhs to buy a Toyota Corolla while nobody bothers to even CONSIDER the FORESTER ! OK, the Corolla is a good car...it does everything you want it to do....goes from A to B...day in and day out...without a hitch, looks decent....but does it have character? Its as bland and as effective as a toaster...and that's what it is...an appliance....and it is named after a vegetable...:"ka-re-la" for dinner anyone??

cut back to the forester....that bark from the flat four is enough to raise goose pimples and the way she handles - as all you guys have driven it know - can only come from a rally tuned chassis ! And the brakes....time and again....brake from 130-140 kph...and Subaru (sorry Chevy !! :-) ] pulls up with a force that makes your eyes pop...with not a hint of fade.....

this car is amongst the greatest....the problem is its ahead of its time for our Corolla consuming masses !

GM...buck up do something ...dont let a great car die like this !
Old 15th March 2005, 11:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab
India's car buyer's are nitwits...hordes of people are willing to fork out 10-12 lakhs to buy a Toyota Corolla while nobody bothers to even CONSIDER the FORESTER ! OK, the Corolla is a good car...it does everything you want it to do....goes from A to B...day in and day out...without a hitch, looks decent....
Arjab,

you have listed the very points that make the corrolla the best seller here ! what else do the car buying people here want ? going from A-B without problems day in day out and decent looking - add to that decent FE and good space and to top it off its JAPANESE ! and u know this strange fetish of the indian car buyer who takes to japnese machines like a fish to water - all for a reason though !

and what u have ?? A BEST SELLER !

who the hell is bothered about handling , the buzz from the engine and no brake fade ??

cheers
Old 15th March 2005, 12:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

FORESTER is more expensive than Corolla and what have you. This is not also a (regular) car according to people by and large.

As you rightly said that this car is amongst the greatest...The problem starts here. The word 'greatest' as you know is very subjective.
Old 15th March 2005, 12:24   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The only thing good about our Forester is the handling...but what else? Its terribly cramped at the rear, the engine has no bottom end (too many gear shifts) and IMHO it looks pathetic (looks are subjective though but Indians dont take too easily to estate like styles). Its more expensive to buy, is a depreciation disaster and maintenance is high with pricey spare parts. Its not really fuel efficient (the be all for most Indian buyers) and is not that fast either.

Yes, I have driven the Forester over longer distances.

GTO
Old 15th March 2005, 12:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the engine has no bottom end (too many gear shifts)
Well, actually, the Forester might get an engine upgrade in the next few months. They're planning to use a 2.5 ltr petrol engine, producing around 150-160 bhp. Direct competition for the 2.4 CR-V.

Dunno about the interiors as i haven't seen it from the inside.

Shan2nu
Old 15th March 2005, 12:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Well, actually, the Forester might get an engine upgrade in the next few months. They're planning to use a 2.5 ltr petrol engine, producing around 150-160 bhp. Direct competition for the 2.4 CR-V.

Dunno about the interiors as i haven't seen it from the inside.

Shan2nu
that would be a intersting battle - but still the Forestter has no hope ! it loses out on the space front and above that battling a japanese on indian grounds is suicide !

cheers
Old 15th March 2005, 12:49   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

that would be a intersting battle - but still the Forestter has no hope ! it loses out on the space front and above that battling a japanese on indian grounds is suicide !
The Forester is Japanese too. Shame that Chevy badging conceals it to some.

GTO
Old 15th March 2005, 12:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Exactly what i was saying - GTO ! not many will know that the chevy badge hides a jap !

people see what they are shown - not what is actually to be seen !

thats why !
Old 15th March 2005, 13:01   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Actually works better for GMs better selling product - The Optra. A majority of its buyers arent aware of the korean roots.

Rebadging rocks!

GTO
Old 15th March 2005, 13:05   #10
Team-BHP Support

The CRV is not made by just another Japanese company. Its made by Honda. And we all know the following Honda has in India.

Even if the Forester came branded as a Subaru, it would still not be a success. Not in India. Not with those looks.
Old 15th March 2005, 13:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

GTO - agree abt the optra to an extent . IMO quite a few people i have met have surprisingly told me that the optra was a daewoo earlier . i guess this may be due to the auto mags - they have a good penetration in the market now !
Old 15th March 2005, 14:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab
OK, the Corolla is a good car...it does everything you want it to do....goes from A to B...day in and day out...without a hitch, looks decent....but does it have character? Its as bland and as effective as a toaster...and that's what it is...an appliance....and it is named after a vegetable...:"ka-re-la" for dinner anyone??

!

I agree - Toyota - . I bet it would have suited my grand father. I will buy , only when Comfort is the only factor for a Car.
Old 15th March 2005, 16:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Arjab,

you have listed the very points that make the corrolla the best seller here ! what else do the car buying people here want ? going from A-B without problems day in day out and decent looking - add to that decent FE and good space and to top it off its JAPANESE ! and u know this strange fetish of the indian car buyer who takes to japnese machines like a fish to water - all for a reason though !

and what u have ?? A BEST SELLER !

who the hell is bothered about handling , the buzz from the engine and no brake fade ??

cheers
Hey NC,

The Forester will do all that the Corolla does... and it's Japanese too!
Old 15th March 2005, 16:14   #14
BHPian

And what's with everyone dissing the Forester's interiors and looks? I find the Forester one of the best looking cars in the country. And the interiors are great too. (Dunno about the rear seat space, but hey, who would buy a Forester for the rear seat space? )

If I had the money, I would buy a Forester stat. No questions asked.
Old 15th March 2005, 16:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Forester is a Japanese car.Because Sabaru is a Japanese company.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks