Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2005, 17:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

I feel if Car is run by the same team from OD, there might not not be much difference. I am not going to buy any mag as long as tbhp exists except for the occasional train trips.
Earlier, I used to read tech articles online at work and car mags at home. Now it's vice versa. tbhp at work and tech mags at home...
Old 16th March 2005, 23:38   #32
BHPian

Noh its just Mr.Darukhanwala and Mr Bathena joining CAR. The rest of the OD team prefers sticking to OD. Also i dont think that there would be much difference in what we find and read in OD/ACI/AI/BSM and the coming CAR/TG. OD was as it is fully contolled by Mr. Darukhanwala so after he joining CAR it will be as good as another OD but renamed. Lets hope we get as good images in the indian issue of CAR as in the internantional issue, which i think is the best part about CAR and what makes the magazine a joy to read. I dont expect much from both the new magazines just because there isnt anything much/interesting happening in the Indian car/bike market. Yeah Porsche has come but where is it...it inst seen much still.

->P
Old 17th March 2005, 00:00   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Hi Guys

I think Car's a much better deal - Top Gear doesnt really come anywhere near it in terms of quality. For one, TG is biased. Badly biased when it comes to talking about 'British' automobiles (hmmm, how many of those are around that arent owned by the Yanks, the Germans, the Malaysians and recently the Chinese?...food for thought)

For another, TG is very snooty. They like to think that good cars are made only by the Europeans (excepting the French, because we're English) and are pretty condescending and patronising towards anything that isnt made in the United Nations of Europe.

Steer

Can't put it better , i totally agree with you , TG is extremely biased as far as the MADE IN EUROPE is concerned !!!

As far as OD is concerned , seriously a Sh...it of a magazine , ACI way way ahead(though , still has a long way to go) !!!

Last edited by Beemer : 17th March 2005 at 00:04.
Old 17th March 2005, 00:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
Remember Auto India?
I think it was the first auto magazine.
I THINK that honour goes to the Indian Auto Journal, and the first issue focussed on TYRES unless I'm mistaken. The second issue featured a test of the Girnar 150 Leo and the third issue carried the Arvind Benelli scooter.........that was back in 1987 or 88.

As you can see, I'm pretty ancient.

Steer
Old 17th March 2005, 00:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED_DEMON82
Also i dont think that there would be much difference in what we find and read in OD/ACI/AI/BSM and the coming CAR/TG. ->P
Spot on! Adil used to run Car & Bike Intnl which came in as competition to the Indian Auto Journal. Then we had Auto India which I think was run by Hormazd who used to work for C&BI as a Test Editor cum Photographer. These two then moved on to ACI and Overdrive respectively.

Same old wine, new bottles. Except that this wine doesnt seem to have matured over time.

Wonder whats happened to the bunch over at BSM, though. Seem to be awfully quiet lately.

Cheers

Steer
Old 17th March 2005, 09:23   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
Can't put it better , i totally agree with you , TG is extremely biased as far as the MADE IN EUROPE is concerned !!!

As far as OD is concerned , seriously a Sh...it of a magazine , ACI way way ahead(though , still has a long way to go) !!!

If you see the last Topgear for the 2004 when they test the Korean cars - they never enven touched the Optra since it was "visually" challenging nor the Picanto (Santro in adifferent variation). Only the Getz merited some consideration
Old 17th March 2005, 11:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
<snip snip>....................
Wonder whats happened to the bunch over at BSM, though. Seem to be awfully quiet lately.

Cheers

Steer

They are a good lot there....working and seems like they also have fun. Love their story captions and their animated stories with the lil bit of humour added. Makes reading that much more fun unlike other mags where once the guys start talking about the tech stuff about the cars, they dont stop till the last line of the story. Nothing bad just that guys who buy the magazine, who are not that technically inclined would like to read about how the car would perform on indian roads and can it be viable for him to buy and use one everyday or whatever hsi needs are....he will not be interested in most of the techy stuff. whereas from BSM i have noticed that they make their articles very reader friendly....makes a good read for non auto inclined ppl too.

Just read Bijoys few lines that he wrote about the Ferrari he drove in that issue in which all the BSM correspondents wrote a few lines about the rare exotic n super cars/sports cars they have driven in india. Just brings a smile to anyone who reads it. thats what it should be like.

Cheers!!!

->P

EDIT: here u go read it for yourself....just scanned that article for you guys...enjoy!!!

Last edited by SPEED_DEMON82 : 17th March 2005 at 12:13.
Old 17th March 2005, 16:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

CAR UK is known for its awesome pictures.....I hope the indian version too makes a name for itself in that field!!
I can't help feeling a little sad at Adil and Aspi reading OD......I've been reading that mag from its inception and think the team of Adil, Sirish, Yogi, Bertrand and Aspi is one of THE best in journalism with a great mix of humour, concise reporting and some great descriptions. The thought of such a great team seperating is a little saddening.....but all things have to change some time or the other!
About TG, well, I've always felt BSM have been the "topgear" of the Indian mag field, wiht humorous and different articles. Now that the real thing is here, it can show BSM whos's the original!
Old 24th March 2005, 04:24   #39
BHPian

Thank god finally a quality substitute for Autocar! The guys there took my money for a 2 yr subscription and sent me ONE issue! Lets hope Top Gear and Car dont do the same...
Old 13th July 2005, 12:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Top Gear Magazine - Indian Edition!

Hello guys. I dunno if this has been posted before but i just got the word in, its confirmed that the Times Group is launching Top Gear Magazine in india. Expect it to be on the stands much sooner than what you expect! Will give u more details tomorrow, one of their rep's is gonna be coming over.

Cheers~

Arush

Mod. Note: Thread's merged.

Last edited by Rtech : 13th July 2005 at 12:10.
Old 14th July 2005, 18:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Yes Arush

Gautam Sen and co are finally at it. An early guesstimate of August as the opening issue is possible. But Times are known to delay things more often than not.

My only worry is that TG India might not be upto the standards of TG UK. Till such time, ACI, OD and gang might just rule the roost.

Revv
Old 14th July 2005, 22:10   #42
Team-BHP Support

I am not too excited about the times part. If they have their ways the cars rating will be based on how good it looks with the bikini clad model. I hope the content will be completetly handled by Top Gear. If not so i am happy with BSM and Autocar!
Old 14th July 2005, 23:22   #43
BHPian

TOPGEAR is really too cool. When is the launch date or is it launched already?
Old 15th July 2005, 10:37   #44
BHPian

Is this plagiarism, or what?

Have a look at these two articles.
1. Indiatimes Auto - The new car competition Getz so Swift.
Article by Mukul Mansukhani, INDIATIMES NEWS NETWORK, FRIDAY, JULY 15, 2005 01:12:56 AM.
2. Business Standard Motoring - Getz vs Swift.
Article by Bijoy Kumar Y with photos by Patrique May. This article is also in print in this month's BS Motoring Magazine.

The text of these two articles is IDENTICAL. Even if Indiatimes has paid BS Motoring to use their article, shouldn't Indiatimes then attribute the article to the BS Motoring authors?

If anyone has contacts at BS Motoring, please alert them to a possible case of plagiarism of their article.
Old 15th July 2005, 11:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
The text of these two articles is IDENTICAL. Even if Indiatimes has paid BS Motoring to use their article, shouldn't Indiatimes then attribute the article to the BS Motoring authors?

If anyone has contacts at BS Motoring, please alert them to a possible case of plagiarism of their article.

John

I think BSM has an arrangements with other mags and website to provide content. You will see their articles on Rediff.com as well, usually a few days after it has appeared on the BSM site.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks