Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:13   #616
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
First of all, 90% of farmers does not mean 90% of Land. Could be more, could be less..
I had very clearly stated it was an assumption.

Quote:
Second, TATA cannot find 10% of land in some other area detached from project area. A plant is a plant and should all be at one place to manufacture a low cost vehicle.

Also LLL, from your posts it seems like you do not know anything about the current issue. Seems like you just woke up from sleep and asking all these questions. There are several pages in this thread and almost everything you want to know has been posted. Take time to go through the thread before you start repeating questions.
Really, let me call your bluff now. Since you seem to be "i-know-all" can you tell me how much land tatas needed and how much govt acquired? You might want to check what Mr Jyoti Basu, doyen of capitalism and Guru of BB stated publicly.

Quote:
Third, Tata was still willing to build the plant if not for the TMC goons attacking their work force.
Again, mr Know-All, do you know how many ppl have committed suicides, how many women have taken violent actions and who rules the local panchayat? If it was just that 10% population was not happy or there were some TMC goons, then facts would be different. Wouldnt it be easier for 90% ppl to suppress 10% ppl? and in WB...communists are far more militant.

But Mr kNow-all, you prefer to get into personal attacks, instead of logically countering my argument.

Note from Moderator : Watch your tone and avoid using unnecessary words.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th October 2008 at 07:53.
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:13   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Has anyone tried to explore how the Jindals are putting up a larger plant without any opposition in the same West Bengal?
Will anyone explore the concept of future price of land? Will anyone tell me why my neighbour should get rich at my cost?
Nope. Can you spill in the beans, please.
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:28   #618
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Has anyone tried to explore how the Jindals are putting up a larger plant without any opposition in the same West Bengal?
Will anyone explore the concept of future price of land? Will anyone tell me why my neighbour should get rich at my cost?
1. its a 5000 acres plant, with WB contributing 4500 and Jindal having to buy 500 directly. Jindals are going to give an equal amount of shares. So if a farmer was to get 75% of market value for his land, he will still end getting 150% value (theoretically atleast).

2. "neighbour should get rich at my cost" - thats similar to a chicken-egg question. Also, if you dont sell now, you may miss the opportunity to sell later and price of land may become so prohibitive that you wont find buyers.
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:37   #619
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Did the opposition and local politicos not try to use the situation to increase their votebank?
There were politicians involved. They filled their pockets too.
But thank god, no one similar to MB existed.
Old 4th October 2008, 00:22   #620
BANNED

Quote:

But Mr kNow-all, you prefer to get into personal attacks, instead of logically countering my argument.
Sorry!
With all that know not and know all kinds of statements, it seems as if you're taking it a bit too personal and calling others by foul names.
Old 4th October 2008, 04:23   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Listen, I never claimed to know everything nor did I attack you personally. Your posts have no content except questions which a million people have already asked before you.

... I don't think compensation is good enough.
... how many farmers consented
... how many did not consent
... why couldn't TATA have done it this way
... TATAS SHOULD HAVE NEGOTIATED WITH FARMERS DIRECTLY AND WOULD HAVE BEEN FAR MORE SUCCESSFULL.

... why not that way ... So what were the reasons of protests and how did the govt handle them?
... Did the opposition and local politicos not try to use the situation to increase their votebank?
.. how did Jindals do it

Guess what, these are called questions and questions are answered and not argued. If you knew the answers, you would have posted them as facts and made a point as to why Tatas are wrong or MB is wrong.

And calling my bluff? Thats funny, may be you should check up the meaning of that word and the context in which it is used.

Note from Moderator : Watch your tone and avoid using unnecessary words.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th October 2008 at 07:26.
Old 4th October 2008, 08:10   #622
Senior - BHPian

Did someone ask for facts ?

The last time a company acquired land in the vicinity, they paid 30K per acre - and this was when a company bought it direct. Though this was 8 years back, 16L per acre when the land was acquired was good enough, and 95% of the farmers accepted it in 2006.
Singur farmers: Why they oppose Tata plant
Fast forward to 2008, the prices are risen DUE to the plant coming up in the area, and the compensation sounds trivial due to the property boom.
Singur land costs far more than state offer price
Old 4th October 2008, 08:38   #623
Senior - BHPian

@ Green horn: I think we have already discussed enough about these topics in the previous pages. You also know very well. No point in discussing the same thing again and again.

Tata has pulled out of Singur is a history now. All the focus will be on their next venture and where they will be shifting. Currently 4 state are wooing the tatas, MH,KA,AP and Gujarat. I have strong gut feeling that their 1st preference will be MH, 2nd maybe KA/Guj and the 3rd will be AP.

Last edited by snaronikar : 4th October 2008 at 08:52.
Old 4th October 2008, 08:47   #624
Senior - BHPian

I know. just to silence some folks who kept asking for facts while spouting rhetoric
Old 4th October 2008, 10:34   #625
BHPian

Posting below the press statement / media release issued by Tata Motors this morning.

Quote:
Kolkata / Mumbai: In a meeting held with the honourable chief minister of West Bengal, Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee and minister in charge, department of commerce and industries, Nirupam Sen, Ratan N Tata, Chairman, Tata Sons and Tata Motors, and Ravi Kant, managing director, Tata Motors, expressed their extreme anguish at the heightened level of agitation and hostility by the opposition parties led by Mamata Banerjee, resulting in a concern for the physical security of their staff, contractors and vendors. Threats, intimidation and instances of assault and general obstruction in one form or the other have been the order of the day. It was therefore with great regret that Mr Tata and Mr Kant conveyed to the chief minister that in the interest of the project's success and viability and in light of the opposition's continued agitation, there was no option but to move the project out of the state of West Bengal. Mr Tata and Mr Kant expressed their deep appreciation of the state government's efforts to facilitate and support the Nano project.
Tata Motors had constructed the plant over the past two years, despite continued agitation and hostility as also continuous effect on the reputation and integrity of the Tata Group. Tata Motors has now almost reached a start-up position of the plant. However, the heightened hostility and agitation had caused the commissioning and start-up phase to be suspended. The contract labour had also been intimidated and assaulted, thus making it impossible to continue. Tata Motors had suspended work for an entire month on the plant. Unfortunately, there was no de-escalation in the level of hostility and agitation. The Trinamool Congress and those supporting them continue to demand a part of the land to be returned to the farmers by the government, which would render the project unviable.
Tata Motors believes it has displayed immense patience and had sincerely hoped that the situation would improve. Throughout the construction period, despite the constant obstruction and acts of aggression, staff and the contractors continued to work in the hope that the situation would normalise and the company's bona fide would be understood.
Given the unfortunate conditions, Tata Motors has been obliged to take the hard decision of moving the project out of the state. In doing so, the company recognises all the cooperation it has received from the state government and states categorically that the Nano project having to be moved from West Bengal is entirely due to the continued agitative actions by the opposition party led by Mamata Banerjee with total disregard for the rule of law.
Mr Tata reiterated that the location of the Nano project in West Bengal was an expression of faith in the investor friendly atmosphere created by the state government. The project was to be a showcase plant which would have considerably enhanced the visibility of the state, created jobs for the younger citizens of the state and, through the company's community programmes, would have enhanced the quality of life of the urban and rural population.
Both Mr Tata and Mr Kant reiterated their faith in the state government's policies and expressed their regret that these unfortunate circumstances had prevented Tata Motors' participation in the development of West Bengal. They hoped that West Bengal would grow and share in the prosperity and growth of India.
Old 4th October 2008, 10:37   #626
BHPian

@LLL, just read through 3 pages of your drivel. You are just re-hashing all the discussions made at the beginning of the thread and then attacking people who respond to you.
I don't think that everyone here are lawyers, looking to pounce on your each and every word. We are also not English "experts", so we may fail to understand your subtle nuances. Forgive use for that. Also don't think we are all know-it-all's. If we were, this discussion needn't have taken place. We would have all "known-about-it".

Just accept that Tata has pulled out of West Bengal.
Old 4th October 2008, 10:41   #627
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Fast forward to 2008, the prices are risen DUE to the plant coming up in the area, and the compensation sounds trivial due to the property boom.
And the same will come crashing down again, with Tatas exit. Neither Banerjee nor the owners know how to make productive use of this land.
Old 4th October 2008, 10:43   #628
Senior - BHPian

Good move by Tatas. It was expected and they did it.

Now to watch the gains to the MB gang. The tables might well turn on them!
Old 4th October 2008, 10:45   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And the same will come crashing down again, with Tatas exit. Neither Banerjee nor the owners know how to make productive use of this land.
But Ms. Banerjee has already raised a demand that the land be now returned back to the farmers. May be she is planning to build the Nano herself in a co-operative manner.
Old 4th October 2008, 11:07   #630
BHPian

Please change the title of the thread to the past tense !!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks