Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Just read this. Very Sad! We keep on talking about what India will be 50 years ahead and if the political situation remains the same we will be still 100 years behind from rest of the world then also.
Here a genuine effort been made to give people who cant afford a Car something to cheer about in life and dirty politics is again coming to stop it. Pathetic
I sincerely hope Ratan tata does not takes it out of Bengal.
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:31   #32
BHPian

AP please, for a change. There are new ports coming up too!
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Indeed! I remember during the initial period of Singur violence the "political" heads of Dharwad went to Tata asking them to consider Dharwad for the Nano plant. But I did not follow what Tata replied to them then. Let me try to find out.
Well pavan, political heads of Dharwad approached Tata but the 20:20 KA govt was busy in NICE match and therefore there was no intiative from KA govt. During this time, Tata officials approached for additional land to be sanctioned just beside their existing Dharwad plant & this I suppose was for luxury bus assembling unit, not sure.
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

One astonishing thing is we have here is we do not have any comments from the t-bhians from Kolkata. Hey guys, we are discussing something serious. Wake up and give us your side of story. We all would really like to know the ground realities at WB.
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Will any of you just leave your lands so that someone can setup an industry?

Coming to a solution to such an issue is not about having meetings with the govt sittin in calcutta but going and getting your shoes dirty and talking to the locals in singur. Try that and you may be able to get a solution. Leave politics aside
IMHO thats the point.

I am glad TATA appears to be failing.

India is a democratic country. And NO ONE can forcefully occupy someone else's property.

If TATA wants farmer's lands, it need to negotiate land prices with actual owners. It can not dictate prices.
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:58   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
IMHO thats the point.

I am glad TATA appears to be failing.

India is a democratic country. And NO ONE can forcefully occupy someone else's property.

If TATA wants farmer's lands, it need to negotiate land prices with actual owners. It can not dictate prices.
I agree.. But Indian Railways has been doing this from fifty years! And we get peanuts in return. We lost one huge chunk years before... Now we are loosing again. For a property valued 60 lakhs we will get 25,000 Indian Rupees! This is not a new issue... this is not about private firms or public firms... If you loose your property it pains... But when compensation is paid, then perhaps its understandable... Because thousands in other states are not even getting that...
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

TATA is a private firm. It it needs somebody's land it has to negotiate with owners.

Constructing basic things like rail/road is a different issue since you can't alter path of rail, but a private firm can decide where does it want to create factories.
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:31   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

picture source: rediffnews
TATA Motors may pull out of Singur-Ratan Tata. Update: Pull out announced!-nano.jpg
This issue needs to be taken up seriously by all involved, seeing the gravity of the situation at the moment. Mr Ratan Tata was never so vocal on this issue but during his press conference today, he was extremely critical. The house of Tatas do business ( and clean business mind you) and not charity where they can lose money!
It is only hoped that all those involved will see reason and act in a manner befitting the prestigious and high-profile Nano project, which is being closely watched by the auto industry people and automobile lovers all over the world. Its not a matter or issue concerning West Bengal- it concerns India as an auto hub!
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:53   #39
BHPian

Has any one noted that there are almost no posts by bhpians living in Bengal in this tread. Unusual nah
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think that land should be stolen from people so that industrialists and politicians can make money. I'm amazed at how many people seem to think it is just fine.
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The house of Tatas do business ( and clean business mind you) and not charity where they can lose money!
Forcefully snatching land is hardly clean business.
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
picture source: rediffnews
Attachment 41229
Can't help but admire the subtle humour in that protest - BB 420 i.e. Budhdhadeb Bhattacharya 420 :-D. Apologies for diverting.

Last edited by devnull : 22nd August 2008 at 21:16.
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:30   #43
BHPian

I clearly remember that the WB government acquired the land from the farmers and then handed it over to Tata. So is it Tata's fault if the WB government fails to compensate the farmers adequately? Please note that Tata has no direct link with the farmers whatsoever.
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
Well pavan, political heads of Dharwad approached Tata but the 20:20 KA govt was busy in NICE match and therefore there was no intiative from KA govt. During this time, Tata officials approached for additional land to be sanctioned just beside their existing Dharwad plant & this I suppose was for luxury bus assembling unit, not sure.
Thats a nice update! Thanks Girish. Now, was the additional land sanctioned?
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:47   #45
BHPian

Pull out from WB and head over to TN. Or else, just start a factory in China.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks