Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 17:47   #136
Senior - BHPian

How come we have not many inputs from the Calcutta guys ?? I am sure they'd know something more than we do !!

Tata already has plan B & C ready. There are other states who are more than willing to help him setup the NANO facility. It is indeed short sighted on part of TATA to have thought that setting up this facility AND running it would be a cakewalk.

I am sure TATA was aware of impending hurdles, hence Plan B & C were ready even before the sh** could hit the fan.

Let's hope for a reasonable resolution to the mess.

Cheers
Old 26th August 2008, 17:52   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
How come we have not many inputs from the Calcutta guys ?? I am sure they'd know something more than we do !!
I'am still trying to figure this out, why no replies from our team in kolkatta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Let's hope for a reasonable resolution to the mess.
The sooner the better.
Old 26th August 2008, 19:13   #138
Senior - BHPian

[quote=snaronikar;954042]I'am still trying to figure this out, why no replies from our team in kolkatta...

Not much to reply to... is there ...
Old 26th August 2008, 20:23   #139
BHPian

I believe now Mamata is only talking about returning 400 acres earmarked for ancillaries back and is asking Tata to take 400 acres across the road from the factory.

Ultimately, she doesnt want to be seen as losing her fight. So if a face saving exit, packaged as a win-win situation is offered, expect the issue to be resolved in no time.
Old 26th August 2008, 20:52   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I believe now Mamata is only talking about returning 400 acres earmarked for ancillaries back and is asking Tata to take 400 acres across the road from the factory.

Ultimately, she doesnt want to be seen as losing her fight. So if a face saving exit, packaged as a win-win situation is offered, expect the issue to be resolved in no time.
Hope the suppliers will be relocated near to the plant. Otherwise the milk run transportation will become very difficult more so for "Jumbiki delivery" system. This is the term used in TPS and are adopted by most of the automobile companies through out world.
Old 26th August 2008, 21:42   #141
Senior - BHPian

Just heard in news that BB has decided not to give any land back to farmers in Singur. Not sure how MB is going to react to this. Hope the plant will get completed now.
Old 27th August 2008, 11:29   #142
BHPian

A friend emailed this link: The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Frontpage | Rod-whipped but won’t turn back on Nano

Quote:
Opponents of the Nano factory had fallen on him with steel rods just two days ago in Singur, but engineer Manish Khatua is ready to go back, saying “work has to go on”.
“Shaken but not afraid” is how Khatua, 35, described himself today after being discharged from the city’s Charnock Hospital.
The construction engineer, who works for Shapoorji Pallonji & Co Ltd, was attacked inside the Tata Motors factory premises, allegedly by activists of the Trinamul Congress-backed Save Farmland Committee.
and

Quote:
What is more shocking is that it happened inside the factory premises. He is very strong and will bounce back soon. But we are very scared.
I would'nt want to work there.

Also, CNBC reported that 5000 Nanos are ready for the market from the panthnagar and pune assemblies.

I remember when fire struck Tata's paint-shop in Pune. Within days, I could see hundreds of trucks plying indica bodies between Pune and Mumbai heading for Fiat's factory in Kurla. I used to travel this route daily. . Tata used Fiat's excess capacity. Let's hope Tatas have a similar plan B for Nano.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:13   #143
Senior - BHPian

They will and certainly have plan B on their hand now. I feel they might have already worked out the logistics part of it. IMO, they might be just waiting for signals from WB govt.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:17   #144
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion TATA should back from here. Imagine such issues once it went to full production!!! Opponents may find numerous ways out to disturb the operations. Its not the question of just manufacturing Nano, but also shipping it to other places.
It cannot be done without the cooperation of the locals.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:27   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Its not the question of just manufacturing Nano, but also shipping it to other places.
It cannot be done without the cooperation of the locals.
I'am not sure whether it is done by opponents. If we dig deep, the major opponents will be only MSIL (as of now). And I do not feel that they wi;; do any such things. Secondly, the shipping can be done w/o locals cooperation if the WB govt provides security for the same. And I do not see why WB govt will not give any support to tatas as this also become a prestigie issue for them.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:56   #146
BHPian

I think TATA will move out

Forget about security, the WB Govt. is not even able to move Mamata Banarjee's Patymen who have blocked the Durgapur Expressway.

The WB Govt. is looking very handicapped here cause any action it takes may errupt & lead to a bigger disaster by Trinamool Congress.

I expect TATA to move out cause these kinds of risk cannot be taken again & again even if this matter settles down in any way. Something or the other will pop up in future & the Singur plant will always be a headache to TATA.

IMO Its best for them to withdraw at this stage & bear the loss now.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:57   #147
BHPian

Who is ruling the WB? BB or Mamata? From outside it looks like the WB gov is helpless against the mamata.
Old 27th August 2008, 16:13   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I'am not sure whether it is done by opponents. If we dig deep, the major opponents will be only MSIL (as of now). And I do not feel that they wi;; do any such things. Secondly, the shipping can be done w/o locals cooperation if the WB govt provides security for the same. And I do not see why WB govt will not give any support to tatas as this also become a prestigie issue for them.
By opponents I did not mean competitors. I was trying to highlight anyone who is opposing this (MB, any groups against this happening etc)
Certainly security can be given for one or 2 days. Or do you mean for every shipment WB govt should deploy force to make it happen? Why?
Old 27th August 2008, 17:25   #149
Senior - BHPian

That crazy, obnoxious woman is on a warpath. She has called for a chakka roko tomorrow between 3 and 5 PM. She and her party only have then upcoming elections in mind. They don't care a damn about the so called displaced people. Most of the farmers gave up their lands willingly and most of them/their family members have secured jobs at the Tata plant. Some farmers want a bigger amount than they settled for. The Govt. is ready to accommodate them.
But, for political mileage, that lady wants to hold the entire state at ransom. She won't listen to reason. And, the State Govt. is scared to force them out of the area because the Nandigram debacle.
Go figure!!
That lady should be put behind bars! She is insane!!
Actually, the situation is kind of funny. It was the State Govt. itself who run most industry out of the state with their union and bandh politics. Now, the opposition is playing the same trick. As this circus continues, its the people of the state who suffer.
But who cares?
Old 27th August 2008, 17:49   #150
BANNED

If TATA do have to move out and go to another state. What is the guarantee that the same situation will not rise again.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks