Old 3rd September 2008, 22:21   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
They gave whatever Rat-an demanded.
Revenue land, commercial land
Quote:
Truly Mamta B. is the most innocent and blameless person in all the drama.

Ratan Tata should get the majority of the blame. It was his company's project and they tried to cut costs by para-legal means -using commie political muscle- to steal/acquire/buy cheap land.
No offence, but are you under the influence of anything? Ratan Tata runs a business, not a charity. He asked for some land, and the WB government gave it to him. If it wasn't meant to be given from the farmers, you should be blaming the idiot Communists who last saw black hair on their heads when Stalin was still young Joe. It is not an industrialist's fault that the govt cannot manage its own affairs properly.

The fault here lies with MB, and her popularity-courting tactics, and the idiot Communists, who can't spell industry, much less help it gain ground in their state.
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:33   #347
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the Face the nation in CNN-IBN: An overhelming majority of 77% of people voted wants tata to pull out of Singur. When the host of the show asked Jagadish Khattar (former MD-MSIL) whether tata should intervene and talk to MB straightly, he also informed that why tata should speak to any political party (TNC here). There contract is with WB govt and they have to resolve this issue.

If tatas were watching that, then they will make up their mind 100% to pull out as the majority of people (voted) are for pulling out of Singur mess.
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:00   #348
BHPian

MB has proved that "determined" people can sabotage projects or initiatives, even if the government, judiciary and majority of citizens (including a large percentage of "affected" ones) are in favour of them. Now, THAT is some achievement.

I saw an illustrated map of the area, with the disputed pieces of land (400 acres) highlighted in Red. They are all over the place. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how TMC could come up with that one-line solution of "simply take 400 acres of land on the other side of the road instead of these pieces of land and the problem will be solved"!

This press release gives some idea of the situation at Singur:
Tata Motors - Media Centre
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:03   #349
BHPian

Quote:
They gave whatever Rat-an demanded.
Funny, is it easier to make cars on more fertile land, as opposed to waste land that TATA had to demand it? Or do more soil nutrients make more fuel efficient cars?
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:22   #350
Senior - BHPian

Suhel Seth's comments on the same program were also very relevant & quite scathing for the TMC as their spokesman ire at the same proved. IMO it's sad to see such things happening in any state purely for political mileage.
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:23   #351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Funny, is it easier to make cars on more fertile land, as opposed to waste land that TATA had to demand it? Or do more soil nutrients make more fuel efficient cars?
All part of the going green philosophy, perhaps.
Old 3rd September 2008, 23:29   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I think tata should teach them a lesson and pull out. like some one else said, if they manage to get production started any time, the communists will continue to threaten and extort the factory.
tata should cut its losses and pull out.
if the people are short sighted enough to be led by selfish politicians, they should suffer the consequences.
if tata lead by example and pull out, then everyone else will do the same. then we'll see how the "common man's revolution" works.

what I dont understand is, why did they go to WB? they could have set up in kerala if they were that desperate for trouble.
Rippergeo , your hypothesis is fundamentally wrong - it is the NON COMMUNIST Trinamool Congress which is responsible for the agitation.

For a change the Commies are on the right side supporting an open economy inviting industrialization a la China.
Old 4th September 2008, 00:22   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Rippergeo , your hypothesis is fundamentally wrong - it is the NON COMMUNIST Trinamool Congress which is responsible for the agitation.

For a change the Commies are on the right side supporting an open economy inviting industrialization a la China.
Isn't it funny how for so many decades the Commies stalled Industrialization with their policies & bandhs. Now when they try doing something right, they get a taste of their own medicine!

History repeating itself?
Old 4th September 2008, 01:54   #354
BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure how much the commies are on the right side. If commies do anything, they do it with an iron fist, so I am a little bit suspect about their acquisition process. In china, if the government wants a piece of land, they simply evict everyone forcefully and burn down their homes. I suspect WB govt. did something like that. Didn't the commie supporters shoot some people and rape and burn a 18 year old in the other disputed lands being aquired for Indonesian group?
Old 4th September 2008, 07:21   #355
rippergeo

Quote:

communism is a way of life in WB/kerala and tripura. the parties there dont actually have to be "communist" to behave like one.
trinamool is congress but talking communist.
which means, protests just for the sake of protesting. that is our brand of communism. even congress does that in kerala, and the BJP and the IUML and every party here in kerala that is worth 2 cowries.

our brand of "communism" means
all industry is evil
all farmers are good and honest
all investment is exploitation
all disruption of public life is good, necessary

I meant "communist" in the most derogatory sense of the word.

I am so vehemently against an ideology that I deeply admire because of the havoc it has wrecked in the state which I live in.

Old 4th September 2008, 07:41   #356
Senior - BHPian

to be honest. I dont like kerala being industrialized. Way too much pollution for such a green state. Especially heavy industry. service and other stuff , which employs manpower without consuming natural resources is what I feel is the best way. There are acres of arid land out there in the other states. why ruin kerala's perfectly fertile soil for this ?
Case in point the titanium factory here in tvm. Its ruined pretty much all the beaches. I really dont want development at the cost of sacrificing the environment. Development we can catch hold of any day, Mother nature is far more hard to get.
I'd rather I work elsewhere and contribute to keeping kerala the way it is . That is what most mallus are doing these days anyway.
Old 4th September 2008, 08:01   #357
BHPian

Singur impasse would be resolved “in the next two days”!!!

West Bengal Governor Gopal Krishna Gandhi has convened a preliminary agenda-setting meeting between combating sides on the Singur issue on September 4 and a formal meeting at 10 am on September 5 in a bid to work out a solution to the problem of reconciling farmers who refused compensation for land they lost to the Tata Motors’ Nano car plant.

The Left Front today said it was open to inviting the company’s management to a meeting as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, speaking from Singur, Trinamool Congress (TC) leader Mamata Banerjee said the Singur impasse would be resolved “in the next two days”!!!

Singur peace process moves into first gear

MontyKING
Old 4th September 2008, 11:49   #358
BANNED

Communism as practiced in India is quite different from other countries but shares some fundamentals. Communism as followed is an idea which was/is tested and has failed as compared to capitalism in bringing development and progress. I am not saying capitalism is an angel but take it as lesser of the 2 devils if you want. In fact none of the communist countries ever practiced the original communist idea developed by Marx.

Now coming to the TATA-NANO fiasco what can we learn? This is not purely a communist game playing over there, this could happen even in well developed states though to a lesser extent. TATA's are an admirable company and have an history of bringing in social and scientific and civic reformation historically. They might in addition to their lower operating costs also thought of bringing WB out of the rut by their industrialization. Looks like WB is still not ready for capitalistic behaviour. So whatever anyone says this was a kind of test for the WB to prove that they could handle and usher industrial development in their state and they are stumbling. I am against anyone getting deprived of his rightful share whether it be individual or company.

We have to understand that running business in these times of hard competition is not an easy job. They have to cut costs wherever they can and rightly so but it is the responsibility of the Govt to ensure that it doesn't affect public interests. I know that bengal was once the intellectual capital of India but sadly it is left behind with the times now. Because entrepreneurship is one the endeavors of individual excellence.

Last edited by zaks : 4th September 2008 at 11:56.
Old 4th September 2008, 12:29   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyKING View Post
Meanwhile, speaking from Singur, Trinamool Congress (TC) leader Mamata Banerjee said the Singur impasse would be resolved “in the next two days”!!!
Is this a joke of some kind. It has not been resolved from pst 2 years and they are planing to resolve in 2 days. Its ridiculous.
Old 4th September 2008, 12:36   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyKING View Post

Ha ha. Good Joke.

One a lighter note, Should we move this to Joke thread
Closed Thread

Most Viewed