Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:01   #511

I hope Mamta Banerjee is reading this thread. Another case of West Bengal's loss resulting in some else' gain.

Tata motors is leaving no stones unturned to make sure the Rs 1 lakh Nano is launched on schedule. They recently announced the variants of the anticipated car.
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:35   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Hubli/DWD based vendors are good for nothing. and most of the existing vendors (for Telcon) are Jamshedpur/Kolkatta based companies and most of the employees are from North. For Telcon products almost all parts are coming from North/Pune/Blr/Chennai. very few Hubli/DWD industries supply components to the existing plant.
It is funny to see how Hubli/DWD based industries works!

Once as per the Hubli/DWD industry body's request we had tried to find some vendors in that area, I was part of the vendor evaluation team, what to say we could not find even 1 company who meets our requirement/standard.

let's hope for the best
What I meant was wherever the car companies go, they will plan to setup a supp park there itself. The suppliers might be supplying the parts to their other models. The major plan will be to set up the vendor base for interior parts (seats,doortrims, roof headlining, carpet, i/p cluster and major plastic parts) , functional parts, chasis parts & body parts. These vendors has to be located in and around the region of car manufacturers. Otherwise, logistics will not be feasible. Hence tatas will ask their existing vendors to setup the plants exclusively meant for nano/tatas products.
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:37   #513
Senior - BHPian

Singur: Security guards assaulted

Singur: Two private security guards were assaulted by by a group of five unidentified men at the Tata Motors plant in Singur in West Bengal on Monday night.

The five entered the project site and chose the spot which had less number of police and security guards. One of the security guards who was sleeping was severely beaten up with iron rods and is in serious condition in the hospital.

The incident comes even as the Trinamool Congress (TMC) has warned of fresh protests if the land issue is not settled within a week.

Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) Raj Kanojia said, "The miscreants attacked the guards on Monday night. Some people at the site chased them away but could not get hold of them.”

There has been no work at the troubled plant - planned to build the world's cheapest car Nano - since local farmers backed by the opposition TMC laid siege to it on August 24.

(With inputs from IANS)

source: Singur: Security guards assaulted |Deadline nears
Old 24th September 2008, 06:02   #514
Senior - BHPian

It seems that its now curtains for the TATA Motors plant at Singur:

Quote:
KOLKATA/NEW DELHI: Truckloads of material have started rolling out of the Singur Nano factory, a sure sign that Tata Motors is on an exit route from West Bengal. Although there has been no formal communication from the company, the grim message has reached the corridors of power in Kolkata.

According to government officials, the beating up of two security guards at the plant on Monday night might have been the last straw for the Tatas.

Chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, industries minister Nirupam Sen, and even Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi have resigned themselves to fate of West Bengal turning into a graveyard for industry again. "The possibility of the small car factory coming up in Singur is becoming remote by the day," Sen said in Delhi.

There are no signs of a let-up in the Opposition camp, though. Mamata Banerjee is determined to deepen the impasse and make it a political issue in the coming Lok Sabha polls. She won't listen to the Governor let alone the government, won't take note of the public mood that wants the Tatas to stay, or heed the law that rules out return of acquired land to farmers.

Sources said Tata engineers had dismantled dies and other "key fixtures unique to the Nano" from Singur and started moving them to an undisclosed location a few days back. Pending a final decision, the company could either roll out its first Nano from its Pantnagar or its Pune facility. The Rs 1 lakh car was scheduled to hit the road in October and Tata wants to stick to that deadline. But as an official said, the situation in Singur "was not conducive to work".
Die is cast: Tata rolls equipment out of Singur-India-The Times of India
Old 24th September 2008, 07:40   #515
BANNED

Sad. Very sad.
Did somebody say ignorance is a bliss? Ask those farmers and all those who stood against Tata in this certain issue. Not today, but after 10-15years!

That famous ad comes to mind in which Mr. Amitabh Bachan standing on the worli sealink says something like: One part of India is striving and breaking all barriers to become the best in the world while the other part is struggling and is still gripped with ignorance, hatredness and jealousy....

Are we being such bad examples to the generations ahead?

Anyway, Tatas will be remembered for a long time to come and so will their baby, Nano. What about those who stood against them? Frankly, I wish they didn't exist. Now that they do, stone them to non existance! :(

Last edited by speedzak : 24th September 2008 at 07:56. Reason: Watered down some cruel words.
Old 24th September 2008, 08:20   #516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mamata Banerjee is determined to deepen the impasse and make it a political issue in the coming Lok Sabha polls. She won't listen to the Governor let alone the government, won't take note of the public mood that wants the Tatas to stay, or heed the law that rules out return of acquired land to farmers.
This not only the comment from CPM but from her own team too. This lady has lost it!
Old 24th September 2008, 08:43   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
FYI I am an Ex.TATA(Telcon) employee who spent almost 4 years at their DWD plant.

It is a very funny place to live!!
A bit of OT, but can you please explain why is it funny?
I am curious to know.
Old 24th September 2008, 09:27   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mamata Banerjee is determined to deepen the impasse and make it a political issue in the coming Lok Sabha polls. She won't listen to the Governor let alone the government, won't take note of the public mood that wants the Tatas to stay, or heed the law that rules out return of acquired land to farmers.
Add to this,

In today ToI it says like this,
She is blaming the CM and telling, its the CM to be taken for responsibility if the TATA moves out of WB
Old 24th September 2008, 09:41   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
...Did somebody say ignorance is a bliss? Ask those farmers and all those who stood against Tata in this certain issue. Not today, but after 10-15years!...
People always look at short term reliefs and not at long term benefits, this is not only in this case, but in most of the issues that we have in out country. Best example is the flood situations which happen every year.. Same cycle being repeated.

I am sure, 10-15 years down the road, these people and the off-springs of these kinds, will regret to the core when they see what the TATA's did to the place where they will set up the Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
.. What about those who stood against them? Frankly, I wish they didn't exist. Now that they do, stone them to non existance! :(
This needs to be done who were gullible enough to listen to such 'leaders'. Once they realize the effect, they should be the ones who needs to react and no one else. Who is at loss here - the leader or the people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
This not only the comment from CPM but from her own team too. This lady has lost it!
It would be a complete shocker if she is anywhere close to any power in the coming elections. That would the final icing on the cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
A bit of OT, but can you please explain why is it funny?
I am curious to know.
+1 here! So am I.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
...In today ToI it says like this,
She is blaming the CM and telling, its the CM to be taken for responsibility if the TATA moves out of WB
Hey Mjothi, this should be in the jokes section! Hahaha... people with half their brains working will see thru this statement.

But you do need to give her credit where due - she considers everyone to be complete idiots and never understand anything and only believe what she says! You need a lot of self-confidence to think like this!!!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 24th September 2008 at 09:44. Reason: responding to mjothi's post
Old 24th September 2008, 09:48   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
The problem is that she doesn't have a rev-limiter in her head to cutoff her stubbornness ;-) So, usually, she ends up with a crash!
Very sad to see politics taken to the extreme and depriving development to the people in the region :-(
Old 24th September 2008, 09:56   #521
Senior - BHPian

This is a picture taken by Parth Sanyal (Reuters) of a woman working in a rice Paddy in Singur, about 50 KM north of the eastern city of Kolkata, August 27, 2008.

Sometimes a picture is enough to say a thousand words.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:04   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
This is a picture taken by Parth Sanyal (Reuters) of a woman working in a rice Paddy in Singur, about 50 KM north of the eastern city of Kolkata, August 27, 2008.

Sometimes a picture is enough to say a thousand words.
Really? Is this what handed over to TATA? If so, I don't know how did govt choose this fertile land?

Is all the 1000acre (or atleast 50%) was like this is it?

Last edited by mjothi : 24th September 2008 at 10:06.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:34   #523
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Really? Is this what handed over to TATA? If so, I don't know how did govt choose this fertile land?
Exactly what I was saying. Such fertile land should not have been handed over to Tata Motors. I'm sure there is a less fertile area in the region which is still good enough for setting up an automobile manufacturing unit. That way, the state could have been at its most productive. Remember, it's the Govt. that is responsible for the well-being of the state and the people.
On the other hand, if this is not the plot of land offered, Mamata should go into hiding.
Right now, all I can see is that the people of WB have lost big time. Tata has lost a lot too. Politicians may have lost their image, but, they surely know how to fill their own pockets.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:41   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Such fertile land should not have been handed over to Tata Motors.

By the way, isnt this a common feature between Singur and Nandigram, apart from many others?

It is probably too much to ask for, but if this was the land being offered, then Tatas should have refused to accept it in the first place. (Small voice in my head is saying "yeah! In your dreams mate!!")
Old 24th September 2008, 10:45   #525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Is all the 1000acre (or atleast 50%) was like this is it?
That entire belt is like this. There nothing called rocky land in that part of West Bengal. Now how much of that is cultivated is always going to be the question.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed