Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2008, 20:43   #1
BHPian

Is it a wise decision to buy Palio now when Indica Vista is already launched?

I feel that this may be there in mind of all the prospective future buyer's of Palio, Shall they go ahead and book Palio MJD or go for Indica Vista.

Worst hit are the people like me who had already done the payment through company lease and now waiting for the Palio MJD.

I want to know what is going on in the head of all the Fiat Palio loving guys.
Is this launch of Indica Vista at an attractive price will kill Palio Or Palio is still better buy ?

Will Tata focus on selling and servicing Palio now?

I have taken a tough decision after lot of thought and was proud of booking Palio MJD (the best hatch with power and durability) but this launch of Indica Vista with same engine and better features has forced me to think about my decision and will effect Palio resale in a negative way.
Old 24th August 2008, 21:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it will take out some sheen of Palio MJD i.e., the MJD bookings are bound to come down. The tata sales person might want to promote the sales of their vehicles. This also depends on the cut the sales guy will get whenever they sell the fiat/vista vehicles.

As far as your query is concerned, if you are interested in Vista, you can always cancel the booking of MJD and opt for the same. I feel Tata's might be very glad to do this. But before doing this, take the TD and close look at the interior and other parts of the 2 vehicles make a comparision and then decide your way.

For the fiat loving guys, they will anyway stick on to the fiat (if they want).
Old 24th August 2008, 21:09   #3
BHPian

I was about to book a Palio MJD next week. But after seeing the specs of Indica Vista I am in dialema now. Points in my mind
- Vista has the same engine and powertrain as Palio but slightly tunned a bit I think by reading the specs
- Vista has the same suspension as Palio (read in some thread here)
- Vista interior looks better than Palio at least in the pictures. Will see it in flesh and decide upon it.
- Vista Aura has an integerated ICE with speakers. Probably will save some bucks here
- How long Palio will be in production now. As per my discussion with Concorde here. It will be continued for 3 more years but it was before Vista launch. Have to talk to them to find its current status now

There is no demo vehicle yet available here. Talked to Concorde yesterday. Will have to TD it soon.
Old 24th August 2008, 21:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_fan View Post
I have taken a tough decision after lot of thought and was proud of booking Palio MJD (the best hatch with power and durability) but this launch of Indica Vista with same engine and better features has forced me to think about my decision and will effect Palio resale in a negative way.
IMO, you should not consider the resale value as a high priority if you are going for a Palio (if vista exists or not). take a thorough TD and opt for the best. you can always haggle and cancel the MJD booking, even if it is a company lease.
Old 24th August 2008, 22:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Palio MJD to warrant ruing a decision to buy it. The Vista is still new - and its maintenance costs and ownership experience - irrespective of MJD engine, remain unknown at this stage.
Old 24th August 2008, 22:17   #6
BHPian

I'd go with FIAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
The tata sales person might want to promote the sales of their vehicles. This also depends on the cut the sales guy will get whenever they sell the fiat/vista vehicles.
The Tata sales guys do that so often. had my experience when we were getting the ikon, offered 40K discount straigt away on the indica, 4K discount with the palio, and brought out the bad points about the palio on every mention of palio.
Old 24th August 2008, 22:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

I agree that the Indica Vista could take the sheen out of the MJD, BUT:

1. In the case of any Tata vehicle, I would wait for the second version. It's the same story with the Indica V1 (V2 was much better!) and the Safari. I would be wary of buying the first lot / version of any Tata vehicle. Tata learns and improves, and I respect them for that. But I wouldn't want that learning at my cost!

2. The Vista interiors did not impress me much! Many of the cues like the AC dials being too low are still there. Worse, my biggest grouse with the Indica is the steering position and the high dashboard. And its still there!

Just my take, don't bash me please!
Old 24th August 2008, 22:34   #8
rippergeo

take a TD of the Vista and decide.
with the Fiat sourced engine in a indica, the Palio is starting to look less and less attractive.
The only USP left for the fiat is the "Thunk" from the door as you shut it.
and the better handling.
the italian seems to be stuck between a rock(indica vista) and a hard place(swift)

Old 24th August 2008, 22:38   #9
BHPian

Its a dilemma that every Paliio MJD owner will be going through. The Palio is an 8 year old vehicle that had dated interiors. The Vista (read Indica) , although is almost that old, has better features at almost the same price. For the common man the Vista will portray a newer vehicle. Also, since both cars are being sold by Tata, I'm pretty sure that the Palio will be given a lesser priority than Vista.
However, the Vista is yet to be tried in the Indian market whereas the Palio already has a few satisfied customers.
So IMO, I think the Palio should be a good buy even after the Vista launch!

Last edited by prateekswarup : 24th August 2008 at 22:40. Reason: had to has :)
Old 24th August 2008, 22:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

@architect: Just compare the cars in its category swift ddis/MJD/Getz crdi. You need to think which gives the best VFM. Of course, there may be some niggling issues with tatas in their first launch. But when you compare with V1/V2, this car is far more better than its predecessors. Also, which does not have these problems?

Swift-rattling this is not even resolved even after 2 years of its launch.
Palio-Interiors are poor. High cost of spares (compared to indica)
Getz-Plastics are not so good for the money we pay. Priced too high.

In this scenario, I feel Vista may win hands down as the cost is also low compared to these vehicles.
Old 24th August 2008, 22:53   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I agree that the Indica Vista could take the sheen out of the MJD, BUT:

1. In the case of any Tata vehicle, I would wait for the second version. It's the same story with the Indica V1 (V2 was much better!) and the Safari. I would be wary of buying the first lot / version of any Tata vehicle. Tata learns and improves, and I respect them for that. But I wouldn't want that learning at my cost!
I am with you on this one. And specially being an all new car from tata expect a few glitches.

Fiat lovers should stick to FIAT! Dont even THINK of the vista. NO comparison. After all Fiat is italian and .....
Old 24th August 2008, 22:53   #12
BHPian

i have just canceled my decision to go for a Palio

i am sure 100s will do the same now.
Old 24th August 2008, 22:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Palio-Interiors are poor. High cost of spares (compared to indica).
Are you absolutely sure of this? I agree with the cost of certain spares like headlamp and bumper, because of being imported. But as a whole, Palio spares used to be cheaper than Indica spares, until Tata-Fiat has jacked up the prices of the Palio spares by as much as 80% or so, so that now they are almost at par with Indica spares. This was discussed at length with the Workshop Manager of Elegant Cars where I got my second service for the MJD done today! And we are talking the Vista out here, which would be more expensive than Indica V2 as far as parts are concerned.

Quote:
In this scenario, I feel Vista may win hands down as the cost is also low compared to these vehicles.
I am not too sure that the ownership cost of the Vista would be less than that of the others, especially Swift Diesel. Upfront cost is lower, I agree. And that alone may not be enough to make the Vista beat the competition.
Old 24th August 2008, 23:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I am not too sure that the ownership cost of the Vista would be less than that of the others, especially Swift Diesel. Upfront cost is lower, I agree. And that alone may not be enough to make the Vista beat the competition.
Have you compared the space it gives inside the cabin? A middle class person has a family of 4~5, who is looking for VFM and a diesel hatch, then Vista fills is requirement to the nought. What more, the tata vehicle can be repaired anywhere in India just like MSIL.
Old 24th August 2008, 23:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

yaar dekho,

please understand some basics first without coming to some conclusions:
a. What matters ultimately is the level of service you get at your local service center. In my case, what I am getting in my 15km radius is abominable. So if the TASC is useless, both are killed.
b. Common engine means (and you can speak to Fiat-Tata sales , check PM) superb serviceability of the cars anywhere. The palio bugbears dont matter anymore. Only some specific mechanicals will be different. But you can ask around - it isnt a problem with the vast majority of people. Palios age well. That is something fiat haters cant dispute. even up north, there are Fiat ASCs coming up all over the place - not maruti level but pretty darn good all the same.
c. The car's driving experience is what counts. If the Aura (and I must admit its specs are juicy) delivers all it promises, then go for it. Otherwise, by itself, the Palio is a darn competent package any which way you look at it - although stuck in a time warp in more ways than one.
d. I've seen my bro's 40k km done Indica Xeta. Tata quality is tata quality. Palios are good. And now their serviceability is great. I am personally going to jump at an Aveo UVA MJD if only they would wake up and release it.
e. The resale word cannot be uttered int he same sentence as Palio for people planning an ownership horizon <1L km, 5 years.
f. The turning radius of 5.2M tells me that like the Palio, vista owners are also set for a similar embarassment

Most Viewed