Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 13:08   #181
Senior - BHPian

Hi architect,

> Half a boot as compared to some sedans like Indigo / Logan and for being a
> "Compact Sedan". Don't flame me for that , am perfectly willing to take my > words back, it was just a figure of speech!

Just so that others don't get confused about the comment, Logan has 500L, Indigo Sedan 450L and the CS 375L of boot space.
Old 7th November 2008, 15:48   #182

went to see the new ford ikon today
definitely better looking athn swift LDI
and plus features are all power windows, interiors beige looking and better than dull LDI
what about mileage comparison between the 2
is there a lot of difference
And how costly will it be to maintain ford ikon than swift

Thanks
Old 7th November 2008, 21:21   #183
BHPian

Ikon may be a good car, but FORD spells costly maintenance. very costly. beware.
Old 7th November 2008, 21:40   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Ikon may be a good car, but FORD spells costly maintenance. very costly. beware.
Purely in a spirit of wide-eyed, child-like curiousity, have you read "The Frogs", by Aristophanes? Do you remember the bottle of oil?
Old 7th November 2008, 23:11   #185
Senior - BHPian

I would much rather give it a decent shot. A suuper car, much cheaper than others, isnt that BAD an option IMO. Ofc, the fusion is overpriced.

This despite higher excise is WAY cheaper.
Old 8th November 2008, 23:14   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I would much rather give it a decent shot. A suuper car, much cheaper than others, isnt that BAD an option IMO. Ofc, the fusion is overpriced.

This despite higher excise is WAY cheaper.
When I drove the Ikon 1.6, I was blown away.

If this car has even 90% of that ride, handling, front / rear seating position I would buy it. Add the Fiesta's 1.4 TDCi engine which IMO is more diveable in city traffic than the Multijet, you have a delectable combo at that price. If only it was launched 7 months ago!!

My only grouse is that just WHY did they do that to the looks??? Why didn't they just leave it alone instead of doing this?
Old 9th November 2008, 09:25   #187
Senior - BHPian

Haneet,

My two bits. The Ikon is very attractively priced, has proven mechanicals, a very comfortable rear seat, decent booth space and an entertaining car to drive. Moreover, the engine is very refined and frugal in its drinking habits.

The few negatives a) A very dated platform. b) Ford A.S.S.

However, the Ikon is a proven package and should not hold any surprises. You live in Chandigarh and Ford Service should be available easily enough. For a family man it makes a lot of sence. In case of bachelors and Husband Wife duo the Swift will do fine. Go in for extended warranty in case the same is available for the Ikon, and it should allay any apprehentions you may have about the car maintainence costs.
Old 10th November 2008, 21:39   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The few negatives a) A very dated platform. b) Ford A.S.S.
I agree it is dated in an international perspective. But really is it old for our country? Its perhaps safer than the Accent, Indigo, D-Zire etc.
Old 10th November 2008, 22:36   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
I agree it is dated in an international perspective. But really is it old for our country? Its perhaps safer than the Accent, Indigo, D-Zire etc.
I would very much doubt the safety of the Ikon, especially if one remembers the car which had actually broken into 2 pieces at Worli Seaface a few years back. Agreed that the person behind the wheel might have been fast, but then the car breaking into 2 is simply unacceptable.
Also this is another strategy from the manufacturer to sell a few more before the dye give way!!!
Sorry if I have hurt any 1's sentiment or have broken any 1's heart!!!
Old 10th November 2008, 22:55   #190
BHPian

My opinion on the choice between vista/swift/palio, I would more opt for the vista. Yeah, It has the TATA unreliability factor with its tail, but the worst part with TATA's old cars were its engine, which was unrefined like anything. They gave good mileage figures, but still there were lots of issues with the engine side for those cars.

Since here Vista comes with the engine we all know, I think about 50% of the issues will be sorted out. And the car is having better interiors, space and design. Vista with a nice pair of alloys will look great
Old 10th November 2008, 22:55   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haneet22 View Post
went to see the new ford ikon today
definitely better looking athn swift LDI
and plus features are all power windows, interiors beige looking and better than dull LDI
what about mileage comparison between the 2
is there a lot of difference
And how costly will it be to maintain ford ikon than swift

Thanks
You need to be clear if you need a hatch or a sedan. If hatch it is certainly Swift.

Or are you of the type who would like the sedan, but because of affordability, was trying to settle for a hatch. In which case the Ikon is the one just for you. Check out the TMP being offered by Ford - that will partly address the maintenance costs part.
Old 11th November 2008, 15:50   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I would very much doubt the safety of the Ikon, especially if one remembers the car which had actually broken into 2 pieces at Worli Seaface a few years back.
Well.. my friend crashed one at 140 kmph. He is still alive just because it was an Ikon. This car has passed all the Euro crash tests. I hate to think what would happen if you test a Scorpio for example...
Old 11th November 2008, 15:59   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I would very much doubt the safety of the Ikon, especially if one remembers the car which had actually broken into 2 pieces at Worli Seaface a few years back.
I think it was cut after accident and not broken into two pieces..
Old 12th November 2008, 19:13   #194
BHPian

Indica Vista vs Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Getz Prime vs Skoda Fabia

Indica Vista vs Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Getz Prime vs Skoda Fabia

Spec & Feature comparison tables in single page for your reference.

Tata Indica Vista vs Maruti Swift vs Hyundai Getz Prime vs Skoda Fabia | l . i . n . k . e . r
Old 27th January 2009, 17:22   #195

hi friends.

i am planning to buy a new car and am really confused. i am 6ft. 2in tall and have a large frame. my daily commute is of about 90km (mumbai to navi mumbai run). due to this reason alone i have decided to buy a new car n leave my current safari dicor 3.0 for family outings only as i spend a bomb on diesel bills alone.

so far i have shortlisted the following cars (no test drives yet)

1.Tata Indica V2 DLS - Mumbai on road Rs. 4.03 Lac approx.
2. Indica Vista Aqua 1.3 Quadrajet - Mumbai on road Rs.5.10 Lac approx.
3. Santro Xing GL LPG - Mumbai on road Rs. 4.0 Lac approx.
4. WagonR Duo Lxi - Mumbai on road Rs. 4.25 Lac approx.
5. Palio Stile 1.3 SD - Mumbai on road Rs. 5.2 Lac approx.

i am purposely leaving out the Swift Vdi as i have taken a test drive n find it really really cramped.

as for the Spark .... its very feminine. otherwise i have heard a very good car.

my requirements are as listed below in my priority order:

1. high FE (thus the indica ;-D ... i heard it gives almost 20kmpl on highway)
2. high seating since i suffer from slipped disk n just cannot drive low cars.
3. low maintenance costs.
4. should last atleast years.
5. Basic reqirements only (Power steering and AC)

i personally am inclided towards the Indica but my experience with the Safari Dicor has not been good. There seems to be major finishing problems and cabin noise with practically no insulation. Thus am very reluctant to go for any TATA car. Maybe this is solved in the Vista. But on the other hand the old indica give Fe of almost 20kmpl !!

i drove the santro n found it good but the central console with music system kept hitting my knee. so -1 point for santro.

Kindly help guys. i don't want to buy the wrong car and regret like i did with the Safari Dicor 3.0

Most Viewed