Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 20:33   #391
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
are we talking about the economics here or the reliability??

by the way, you dont need to worry, my uncle is managing his business pretty efficiently.
He just meant that the numbers that you put here did not look real. You either got them wrong, or it was all cooked up.

Old 17th August 2009, 20:39   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
He just meant that the numbers that you put here did not look real. You either got them wrong, or it was all cooked up.
buddy, my uncle runs a tourism business & so the cars dont run as much as the taxis or call centre cabs. they run only for the customers visiting the resort & mainly only within city limits. for inter city limits, innovas are preferred. that explains the low odo readings. hence they are more maintained than the taxi indicas you see on road. still, he sells the indicas after every 2-3 years depending on the condition.

well, if you still think its cooked up, god bless! do not expect me to convince anyone! cheers.

btw, i would also like to add here that- as 'discoverwild' & 'vijaythacker' said, this debate is comparing the indicas with the swifts whereas it should be comparing the vista with the swift. i do agree that this is not fair. however, what i meant to say was- given my past experience with indicas & other marutis, if given a choice between the vista & the swift, i would opt for the swift. i do feel that the vista will be a lot more refined & less troublesome than the indica, but then we have a whole thread in T-BHP for dicussing problems faced on vistas! so why take chances? i vote for the swift.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th August 2009 at 20:49.
Old 17th August 2009, 20:59   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
are we talking about the economics here or the reliability??

by the way, you dont need to worry, my uncle is managing his business pretty efficiently.
Both because we are talking about a business where the most important bit is the car used.
Old 17th August 2009, 21:28   #394
Senior - BHPian

but then lets talk about the vista which is not used for the taxi business!
Old 18th August 2009, 09:23   #395
BHPian

[quote=mclaren1885;1435805]Not sure about the other Maruti cars (though I can vouch that the baleno is well built, might have cheap/boring plastics, but its well built. I have taken the car apart a million times and put it back together myself and it doesn't squeak/rattle one bit). But the swift is NOT "built" at all. Its put together by 3yr old kids given the way it falls apart.

You are right about Baleno. I loved the way baleno looked and felt. It definitely looked the way cars are meant to look and feel IMHO and not like some cheap generic toys that most of them are designed to look and appreciated. Unfortunately and it is but natural that the car didnt do so well.
It looks built well , it does and so does SX4. But none of the other steeds from Maruti stable do really.
If Swift is thought as a radical and aspirational design , then surely Balenos of this world 'll lose out. Fortunately the well proportioned Alto is appreciated .
The OHC & last fully loaded model of Baleno with mags were in my opinion the best looking cars ever made for india.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 18th August 2009 at 09:28.
Old 18th August 2009, 09:37   #396
BHPian

Quote:
i do feel that the vista will be a lot more refined & less troublesome than the indica, but then we have a whole thread in T-BHP for dicussing problems faced on vistas! so why take chances? i vote for the swift.
We also have threads discussing "rattle king" Swift ! So what's the way out ?

IMHO we have to analyse our NEEDS first and
than the available cars devoid of any biases like "..dicussing problems faced on vistas.." etc. whatsoever including "..rattle king" Swift " also.

Cheers
Old 18th August 2009, 09:41   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
We also have threads discussing "rattle king" Swift ! So what's the way out ?

IMHO we have to analyse our NEEDS first and
than the available cars devoid of any biases like "..dicussing problems faced on vistas.." etc. whatsoever including "..rattle king" Swift " also.

Cheers
absolutely agree to what you have said, especially the comment marked in bold.
thats what i said in my initial posts too. every individual has different needs & share different experiences.
my need is good driving comfort & i dont share good past experiences with indicas, so a person like me would choose a swift over a vista.
Old 18th August 2009, 12:07   #398
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
It looks built well , it does and so does SX4.
Nope! Even the SX4 is as bad as the swift when it comes to falling apart.
Old 18th August 2009, 12:20   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
buddy, my uncle runs a tourism business & so the cars dont run as much as the taxis or call centre cabs. they run only for the customers visiting the resort & mainly only within city limits. for inter city limits, innovas are preferred. that explains the low odo readings. hence they are more maintained than the taxi indicas you see on road. still, he sells the indicas after every 2-3 years depending on the condition.

well, if you still think its cooked up, god bless! do not expect me to convince anyone! cheers.

btw, i would also like to add here that- as 'discoverwild' & 'vijaythacker' said, this debate is comparing the indicas with the swifts whereas it should be comparing the vista with the swift. i do agree that this is not fair. however, what i meant to say was- given my past experience with indicas & other marutis, if given a choice between the vista & the swift, i would opt for the swift. i do feel that the vista will be a lot more refined & less troublesome than the indica, but then we have a whole thread in T-BHP for dicussing problems faced on vistas! so why take chances? i vote for the swift.
Quote:
absolutely agree to what you have said, especially the comment marked in bold.
thats what i said in my initial posts too. every individual has different needs & share different experiences.
my need is good driving comfort & i dont share good past experiences with indicas, so a person like me would choose a swift over a vista.
absolutely Raj, though i too believe that after owning indica which is still with me, nothing major problems occured or spend on it then regular service, i too believe that vista yes far better product then older indicas, still swift wins the race between them for me too, as i wont buy indica as of again for my current ones but would like to see swift over it.Dont want to get into maruti-tata debate as both these cars has their owns iffs and buutts, + and - but for the need, refinment overall *** and support along with peace of mind i get from maruti is not achieved from tata.IMO.
Old 18th August 2009, 12:26   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Not sure about the other Maruti cars (though I can vouch that the baleno is well built, might have cheap/boring plastics, but its well built. I have taken the car apart a million times and put it back together myself and it doesn't squeak/rattle one bit). But the swift is NOT "built" at all. Its put together by 3yr old kids given the way it falls apart.

I was mainly referring to the "engine" reliability. FYI, engines are more or less "stock" in the INRC. Main issue with Indicab's is engine issues. Why don't you talk to a reliable local garage around you and get back to us? Would ease the troubles for all of us to keep reiterating the same point over and over again. Ever seen the number of blown Indicab's in the ghat sections around Kar, TN, Kerala?
Well, my Indica has run over 1 lakh kms and I haven't touched the engine yet. I changed the suspension and timing belt at 1 lakh kms and intend to use the car for another 30-40K atleast. The car has never left me stranded on the road and is a wonderful workhorse. I am sure if other cars are subjected to the same abuse as Indicabs are, they would be no different if not worst than Indicabs are. Also to me, at end of the day, any machine is as reliable as the operator operating it. Take a Porsche and run it without engine oil or on low quality fuel, it will still make you stand on the road side. This doesn't make Porsche an unreliable car.

Having said above, Vista is a much better built car than V2 which was much better than V1. No car in India or anywhere in the world is completely troublefree.

takecare and drivesafely
Old 18th August 2009, 19:03   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Nope! Even the SX4 is as bad as the swift when it comes to falling apart.
I said ' IT LOOKS WELL BUILT... ' didnt I ?

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 18th August 2009 at 19:05.
Old 18th August 2009, 19:26   #402
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
I said ' IT LOOKS WELL BUILT... ' didnt I ?
actually the SX4 is as "good" as the swift in falling apart. We recently stripped down memo's SX4 to the bone for the drag and put it back together. That car rattles like crazy, I have done the same with my baleno atleast 5 times now. I mean everything including seats, door pads come off the car and I have put it back myself and the car doesn't squeak a bit. Its very disappointing to see the quality in these cars dwindling so low, I for one don't recommend the swift to anyone because of the rattles and the engine.

Infact, after having driven all the cars mentioned in the poll, I would recommend none of them to my friends. Hail the underrated, no more in production Getz Crdi. Its not just that engine, its a combination of some good A.S.S, good build quality and those extra horses under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar
Well, my Indica has run over 1 lakh kms and I haven't touched the engine yet.
Congratulations my friend. I am glad you didn't face any issues. Maybe you maintain your car immaculately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild
I recently did Coimbatore - Pondicherry - Chennai - Krishnagiri - Bangalore - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore and did not get to see one.
You are right again. Even I haven't seen many taxi's off lately. But thats because all taxi's are no longer Indica's? I see a lot of new cars used as taxi's on highways. Or maybe the ones which had the problem were back in the garages and you weren't there at the right time at the right place? . IIRC, the most breakdowns I have seen is the Mysore-Ooty section. I think there must pics of around 3-4 indica's breaking down on this stretch on the Tristate Tbhp meet thread. We even remember joking on seeing every Indica wondering where this would break down.

Another point I would like to raise is that, most people wont even notice a slight drop in performance in the engine unless you are discerning. I know a friend who had a baleno that ran a compression of 140ish on all 4 cylinders. The moment I drove it (rather kept redlining it) I realized it was sluggish. So got the compression checked. He says he never noticed the drop in performance at all. Stock compression is around the 170psi mark.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 18th August 2009 at 19:29.
Old 18th August 2009, 23:43   #403
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
with that they offer poor reliability & pathetic after sales service as standard feature in their cars! what value for money! atleast maruti offers complete customer satisfaction.

please dont say that there is this person & that guy who is not happy with the maruti's A.S.S, there are many exceptions in such cases, but we will look at the majority.
There is no other person. There is me! hold 4 Maruti's currently and I'm sorry A.S.S. is as bad as I can imagine any to be!, I just came back from my Ritz's first service. [Same with Honda]

I'm not an exception, but not 'just another driver'. Maruti doesn't win in A.S.S. quality, only the volume.

Last edited by SLK : 18th August 2009 at 23:46.
Old 19th August 2009, 08:49   #404
Senior - BHPian

of course SLK. i am not denying that. not only you, there may be many who are not happy with maruti's A.S.S, but as far as i am concerned, they are better than tata's when it comes to service. this is only my personal thinking & i am not enforcing it upon anybody.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:43   #405
Senior - BHPian

Even I used to think tata service was bad, and raised hell when they lost my wheel spanner, but a guy I carpool with has had his MASS lose his Wagon R's Wheel spanner when he gave it for service recently, and they arent being too helpful either. After hearing my story, he's afraid now that he might get stranded somewhere too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks