Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2008, 22:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

@ the arun, I drive a taxicab white indica, and not once have i been mistaken for a taxi.
Old 28th September 2008, 22:42   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Did everyone see the latest AUTOCAR Show on CNBC? They had a shoot-out between the VISTA, PALIO and SWIFT. It was very comprehensive and very well done. Might find it on you-tube too.

The SWIFT won. Very very surprised that the VISTA is winning on Tbhp.
It wasn't AutoCar show but the Overdrive Auto show. And yes your are right, Swift won it, but the key reason cited by was the fun to drive factor, that is it, the guy said, ya ya Vista has got this better and that better.... but I will(personally, that is what he wanted to say) choose the swift. Most of the shoot-outs are to decide which is the driver's car. These guys give their verdicts as if the car will be driven by racers and it will have only one seat with driver seating in it. I have no issues with their intentions but then they should make the disclaimer that the shoot-out is for best driver's car and not the best overall car in the segment and thereby not confusing the viewers like our fellow TheARUN. And yes, TheARUN, AutoCar also had the shoot-out this week, but it was between Altis and Civic and Civic won.
Old 28th September 2008, 22:48   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This vote here is just sand castles among friends. Market result should be visible at end of September.
I think, it is always better to wait for a quarter to judge the real success of the launch, except for Honda, they have really won the customer confidence. In case of Tata, because of the preceptions/prejudices, even six month will not exaggeration.
Old 28th September 2008, 23:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

heh , quite true. tata products are like good wine - they get better with age.
I mean, look at the indica V2. its sales peaked just last year !
Old 29th September 2008, 00:44   #80
Senior - BHPian

greenhorn,

I had to commute by bus due to rains some weeks back - every one of those days, I made it a point to flag down every indica I saw

That the route you drive on, doesnt have indicabs picking up pax is different. That people behave thus, is routine.

PS: I did almost the sam efor 80% WagonRs too (the latest CNG cab)
Old 29th September 2008, 01:07   #81
Senior - BHPian

My Bro-in-law's colleague bought a new Indica and stopped to ask for directions at some bus-stop in Gurgaon, Immediately 5-6 people starting opening the doors to sit inside asking "10-10 rupaye mein le chaloge na?".

Try stopping in an Indica (or a Tavera, Indigo, Qualis, Scorpio) anywhere on the route to Gurgaon (even in Delhi) and you can expect similar reactions.

A bit of gutkha stains on your lips will improve response timings too !

No offence to Indica owners. Many of my relatives and atleast 2-3 people I really respect and admire also drive the same car. But wasn't it the same case for any private individual driving a White Ambassador without a Red / Blue Light a few years ago?

Isn't the Corolla / Camry / Mondeo also known as popular taxi material in other countries? Doesn't make it a bad car (and the Mondeo is a good driver's car, too), does it?

Last edited by architect : 29th September 2008 at 01:13.
Old 29th September 2008, 02:28   #82
BANNED

Funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Doesn't make it a bad car. does it?
If it doesn't, then what is the point you try to make in your post?
Sorry, but I find your bro in law's collegue's story a bit hard to believe and a bit irritating for Indica fans.

Soon, there'll be almost every car running as a Taxi. Are we going to stop buying cars then?
I drive a Qualis and I don't find it bad to see many of them as taxis around me.
Old 29th September 2008, 07:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

When every manufacturer plans a car, they look at the target audience. The SWIFT is aimed specially as an aspirational vehicle. People who have the money still buy the SWIFT as their second car. The INDICA was planned with the taxi fraternity in mind to an extent.

Toyota did not want the taxi fraternity to get into the INNOVA, thats one of the reasons they positioned it as such. Toyota infact consciously moved away from the taxi fraternity to save their image.

Ok people answer this
Which car will have the highest resale value and a steady string of buyer enquiries 4 years from now?
Old 29th September 2008, 08:18   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Ok people answer this
Which car will have the highest resale value and a steady string of buyer enquiries 4 years from now?
That car is not yet in the market now
Old 29th September 2008, 10:14   #85
Senior - BHPian

Zak bhai,

What architect was saying is that while many good cars are used internationally as taxis (they might have high aspiration value in India), we need to consider the aam junta mindset as well. I know of the sheer opposition we had to overcome when my bro bought an Indica.

And atleast in Delhi, in pockets of bad transport, Indicabs/Tavera/Qualis/WagonR CNGs DO pickup passengers - so even if you stop by roadside to ask directions - you'll be accosted for lifts. Swift/Getz doesn't. That's unfortunately a fact, something which has nothing to do with how practical/VFM the car is.

@greenhorn: So you're saying is that Vista needs more time to mature and isnt "ready" yet? I think I l read you right. LOL :
Old 29th September 2008, 10:37   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Sorry, but I find your bro in law's collegue's story a bit hard to believe
Trust me Zak, it happens. Whenever you are in Delhi/Gurgaon next, you can observe this phenomenon at a place called IFFCO Chowk on the NH8. And it happens 24*7. Hoards of people rushing towards Indicas, Qualis', Innovas etc even if the slow down, let alone stop. And the reaction is fuelled by the fact that public transport is absolutely ille and hence the desparation.

But Indica fans are right, it is a very practical car and hence finds extensive usage as cabs.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:01   #87
Senior - BHPian

@ phamilyman. It used to be that way, but nowadays tata products at launch are quite ready. Only that Tata continues to improve and develop their products much beyond their competitors and they tend to have very long product lifecycles.

To the others citing the indica's taxicab image, Yes, i guess I'm glad that people dont use taxicabs much for commuting in the city i live in, and hence dont have that problem, but still, all that needs to be taken care of is our perception. We cannot do anything about the general public
Old 29th September 2008, 11:24   #88
tez
BHPian

in my opinion, taxi operators still have the indica available at cheaper price for the purpose of running as taxis. They would not want to enter vista for there is nothing which would help them earn more. It has the same seating capacity and u would not charge passengers for driving them on FIAT engine
Old 29th September 2008, 11:39   #89
Senior - BHPian

there is a thread quite similar to this. Moderator please do the needful.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...getz-crdi.html
Old 29th September 2008, 11:49   #90
Senior - BHPian

well, that poll pitted the indica dicor against the competition, which was a bit unfair, and the indica lost. On the other hand , the Vista stands a good chance to win, needed a re vote, and hence this poll

Most Viewed