Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 18:12   #136
BHPian

I would like to add my two cents to this forum on the "Taxi Image" debate.
In the organization where I live people have to make regular trip to various parts of New Delhi.

And for that purpose Two Indica's, One Indigo, one RTVs, a Tavera and a bus is used and when there is need for extra vehicles taxis are hired.
One of the Indica is actually the white one.

I have asked many people whether they have faced a situation where people at bus stop or other places mistook the Indica's for a taxi. Not one person have faced such a situation. Neither did I.

Yes it is true that Indica has the image of a Taxi. So what ? It is a good vehicle. This debate is almost like "I'm a Mac and am a PC" adverts.
Why does it matter what other think ? Car or your PC is for you to use and if it works for you and give more bangs for the rupiah then why worry what others think ?

It come down to whether you are buying your car for
1) Yourself
2) to travel from point A to point B.
3) To show off.

Fewer people in India buy car for the third reason.
Old 8th October 2008, 18:34   #137
BANNED

Nice thread,

We are discussing over the same engine.
Old 8th October 2008, 18:59   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
3) To show off.

Fewer people in India buy car for the third reason.
but not that few. I had a friend with a swift VDi buying a Dzire LDi, since they wanted a second car , and this one with a boot ( they really dont need the boot, but its for the image). I did suggest the Logan and indigo CS, but both were immediately struck down by his family , reason given?

We dont want "those type of cars". I'm pretty sure it was an image problem
Old 8th October 2008, 19:49   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
but not that few. I had a friend with a swift VDi buying a Dzire LDi, since they wanted a second car , and this one with a boot ( they really dont need the boot, but its for the image). I did suggest the Logan and indigo CS, but both were immediately struck down by his family , reason given?

We dont want "those type of cars". I'm pretty sure it was an image problem
image and status problem is a bit higher among keralites
Old 8th October 2008, 20:01   #140
BHPian

Do you really want to say that and start a conversation all about the folks. Man, the looks are something yes lot of people would look at. But yeah the true driver would first look at handling.
Atleast I do look at handling at all levels.
Be it an Indica, Palio, Swift, which ever handles well in stock is what I would buy. Who would really think first of all the upgrades to make the car better handler when buying? That junta would be less in number when compared.

Anup
Old 9th October 2008, 14:10   #141
Senior - BHPian

Palio MJD has an offer of Free insurance in Bangalore. I wonder why there is no demand for palio just after 8-9 months of launch while Swift DDIS is still selling like hotcakes.
Old 9th October 2008, 14:17   #142
Senior - BHPian

Might be because of the A.s.s for Palio been the reason for decline in demand.
Old 9th October 2008, 15:39   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Might be because of the A.s.s for Palio been the reason for decline in demand.
More than the A.S.S, the brand image that Palio has currently in India. Not many people like the name FIAT now. It has lost the glory interms of resale value issues, service issues.
Though the car is good, engine is good, not may lay-men would know that it has the same engine as Swift. Actually people would say "Oh, the Palio has taken the engine from Swift". Imagine what one should feel when he hears this owning a Palio.
Old 9th October 2008, 16:45   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Guys, there is something called denial and mine is better than yours.... I see a lot of the forummers have taken my comments on Indica's taxi image personally. It was not meant to be like that, however there is no point defending something thats true. Indica does suffer from Taxi image problem and its not like who cares. People do care... anyone who thinks otherwise is a minority or an exception. Popular belief and brand image has a lot to play for when buying a car. Companies spend millions and millions to establish a brand image for their cars. So to say it dont matter as long as the car is useful is a far cry. Why dont ppl in Metros buy Vikram or Bolero, instead of Scorpio? Image. Even if Bolero had the same engine as Scorpio, more space than Scorpio, more VFM than Scorpio, folks would still not buy Bolero. Period!
I have only one thing to say: Look around - there are more privately owned Indica's than taxis. That statistic says a lot.

Slightly OT but to take you back a few decades - before the advent of the M800 - Premier Padmini and Ambassador dominated the car scene. The premier was and remains the dominant cab in Mumbai - Chennai, Kolkata and Delhi used to favour the ambassador.
People still drove these as personal vehicles too.
Old 9th October 2008, 18:11   #145
Senior - BHPian

People dont you think this Taxi discussion is a never ending one!
Lets end it and move on appreciating the fact the car should be good - taxi or private.
Old 9th October 2008, 20:12   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Slightly OT but to take you back a few decades - before the advent of the M800 - Premier Padmini and Ambassador dominated the car scene. The premier was and remains the dominant cab in Mumbai - Chennai, Kolkata and Delhi used to favour the ambassador.
People still drove these as personal vehicles too.
But you had only 2 choices then. If both Ambassador and Premier were being used as taxis, people wouldn't be owning cars at all. The Indian Car Scene has changed altogether.

Cars in India are still a luxury. Only a small minority of us drive cars. And out of this, only minority drive cars that are not 800, Alto, WagonR, Zen, Santro, Indica. At this stage of our automobile industry, it surely wouldn't make a statement if you drive a taxi-like-car. As some guys mentioned here, developed countries may have S-class cabs. But we in India haven't reached that stage and we still have a long long way to go. Even in developed countries, cars like Ferrari, Lambo are still bought to show-off.

Having said that, people who wish to own Indica are notwrong at all. Its a good car, much better now. If you are okay with few waving hands, go ahead. Enjoy!
Old 10th October 2008, 11:46   #147
BHPian

Okay, finally this time I had my mobile camera with me. Please pardon the quality of the pic.

I have seen many of these in and around delhi. Who is the Taxiwallah now ... let the wars begin
Attached Thumbnails
Indica Vista MJD vs Palio MJD vs Swift DDiS-taxi.jpg  

Old 10th October 2008, 15:07   #148
Senior - BHPian

@ ashukla - You arent gonna let this taxi war die out.
Now am waiting for Swift owners to pounce on Indica owners
Old 10th October 2008, 15:22   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Now am waiting for Swift owners to pounce on Indica owners
Harry, that is what has been happening all this while. I guess the inverse of what you have said would happen now...
Old 10th October 2008, 15:40   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Harry, that is what has been happening all this while. I guess the inverse of what you have said would happen now...
Lol. The law always applies - Every action has equal and opposite reaction

Most Viewed