Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 21:56   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Two days: A day before yesterday I was behind wheels in Vista and Yesterday I was driving a Swift. I will try explain what I observed in these two days.

Oh I forgot to tell you that, I personally owns Vista Aura Quadrajet and found it is better option over swift. I like Swift in looks and brand name and Vista in case of overall comfort, total VFM and completer car for happy family.
very good and balanced comparison.. hats off to you!.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th May 2009 at 02:44. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 7th May 2009, 21:57   #242
BANNED

Quote:
Two days: A day before yesterday I was behind wheels in Vista and Yesterday I was driving a Swift. I will try explain what I observed in these two days.
===========
Oh I forgot to tell you that, I personally owns Vista Aura Quadrajet and found it is better option over swift. I like Swift in looks and brand name and Vista in case of overall comfort, total VFM and completer car for happy family.

sir..how many days did vista took to get to 157+ kmph...???
Old 7th May 2009, 22:02   #243
vsh
BHPian

hi
i own swift dzire. as already discussed rear space in swift is cramped. i just solved that problem by going for dzire. i have already clocked more than 11000km, and many times with my family and found it very easy and confortable. my family now looks for a reason on weekends to have a ride. i rejected indica because of the same old looks and maintenance.
Old 8th May 2009, 11:03   #244
Senior - BHPian

@vsh... the wheelbase of swift dzire and swift is exactly the same. There isnt much difference in the recline at the back as well. I am fixed how dzire is supposedly better here.
Old 8th May 2009, 13:10   #245
BHPian

Quote:

Starting with when I opened a door and got into the car and closed a door. Swift gives very good and very rich door close thud sound which feels good to ears. Gives certificate of build quality. In case of vista it is good but not upto close to swift.

Now I am on drivers seat. Vista has good interiors feels good for some days. But swift black theme is really good. This taste might change person to person. I found Swift black good because I love black color.

Now Sitting comfort. Oh Man Vista owns here. Swift is quite comfortable too but Vista is marginally good. Vista has better ergonomics like access to gear, access to handbrake. And lumbar support is really good. Gear knob is good in Vista.

Now I started the engine. I found no difference in Engine sound inside cabin. Now car starts moving. Swift is more responsive than Vista in first three gears but in fourth and fifth gear Vista feels good. Vista third gear is really good, handles very long range. In case of swift I had to keep switching between second and third.

Now I am close to 120KMPH. On Curves Swift is king, accurate turns, never feels that car will understeer or oversteer. Vista needs littlebit attention in that. But can do with current setup with some driving practice. Now speed is increasing to 140KMPH and road is straight. Swift lost its confidence at this speed. Ride was too bumpy on a cement road. Co Passengers were feeling very uncomfortable because off car body was following road profiles perfectely I mean ups and downs; so theoretically I should not dare to go ahead of this. But I stopped speeding ahead 145kmph. Now turn of Vista. litterally gliding on road. Body was perfectely stable. Passenger were looking confident. Only wheels were following road profile. Body was gliding in air. I could touch 157+KMPH in Vista. Then I stopped speeding ahead of this came back to average speed of 120 to 140KMPH. Vista is king of high speed.

Now I shifted back to rear seats handing over car to friend. Vista, enormouse space. Feel like king or feel like god in rear seats. No match for this space and comfort in Hatchbacks. Swift really sucks over here. Swift rear seats are made for making kids comfortable not for adults. And swift has very bumpy ride. Especially on cement roads rear passenger feels very uncomfortable because of fast ups and downs. Vista swallowa all such things in its path.

FOr other cases I feel Swift looks good and obeys drivers order perfectely. Vista is good and tries to keep all passengers happy. Now Swift owner will say swift is better and Vista owner will say Vista is better.

This is for the part is highlighted in bold. Just wanted to clarify one thing here. Did you notice on what tires were you on swift. I am asking this cause stock tires on swift are joke. It is only after you install a good set of tires you feel the major difference. I drove an LDi on stock tires from Noida to Haridwar and accept that on stock tires the care handling is a disaster on high speeds. But i have just bought a VDi and upsized the tires to 195/60 R15 and that issue is long gone. A tire upgrade makes a lot of difference.

Also the on the trip an adult lady with a small "1.5" yr old kid were sleeping in the backseat of the car and not once did they wake up due to bumps or anything. Maybe the driving skills of me and my partner were good but i am sure that the car too had a major part in this. Also the roads on which we travelled were horrible but we never felt that car ratteled tehat much. This is coming from a person who has owned a Palio 1.2 from Nov 2002 till date and yes Palio outer build quality is great but i feel Swift is right up there.

I would like to point out that buying a good car is one thing but maintaing it is another. You just will burn your pockets owning a Plaio for a long time but same case is not with Swift. Also compareing A.S.S. of TATA with Maruti is nothing to write about. All three cars Palio, Swift and Vista are great cars with same engines. But when it comes to inexpensive spares, *** and finiding the right place to your car fixed in case something goes wrong Swift is a clear winner.
Old 8th May 2009, 15:43   #246
BHPian

That swift was with stock tyres. But you should agree that Swift has stiff suspension setup which helps swift to keep incontrol on turns. That was designed as required. It's rally based suspension.

I think you should drive Swift and Vista on same roads at fast speeds. Difference is very recognizable. I am not saying some car is good some car is bad. I tried to put my review unbiased.

Comparing A.S.S. no doubt Maruti is best but Tata is also improving. I did not find any issue. And spare part prices... I think Tata cars spares are priced attractively.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 8th May 2009 at 15:44.
Old 8th May 2009, 16:00   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post

I would like to point out that buying a good car is one thing but maintaing it is another. You just will burn your pockets owning a Plaio for a long time but same case is not with Swift. Also compareing A.S.S. of TATA with Maruti is nothing to write about. All three cars Palio, Swift and Vista are great cars with same engines. But when it comes to inexpensive spares, *** and finiding the right place to your car fixed in case something goes wrong Swift is a clear winner.
Please do not give out off-hand remarks about the parts cost and ownership cost. I do own a 2003 palio and the maintenance costs are very low compared to similar class cars from the maruti stable. I agree with the number of service centers for FIAT. But after the partnership with Tata, the scenario has changed, which was a much discussed topic in this forum.
Old 9th May 2009, 00:16   #248
Senior - BHPian

Switch, while maruti service is undoubtedly a class apart, tata spare part prices are pretty much on par with maruti spare part prices

and I dont think there is any shortage of workshops which have expertise on tata vehicles.

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th May 2009 at 00:18.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:31   #249
BHPian

Here are some pics of odometer when I was clocking 157+ KMPH. My friend could not manage to take 157+ snapshot. But he managed to click at least 155 on Odo. This is mobile camera that's why picture quality is bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Indica Vista MJD vs Palio MJD vs Swift DDiS-dsc00663.jpg  

Indica Vista MJD vs Palio MJD vs Swift DDiS-dsc00662.jpg  

Old 11th May 2009, 12:39   #250
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pics of odometer when I was clocking 157+ KMPH. My friend could not manage to take 157+ snapshot. But he managed to click at least 155 on Odo. This is mobile camera that's why picture quality is bad.
At least 1 positive of having the speedo in the middle. The Co-passenger can take pics!
Old 11th May 2009, 14:38   #251
BHPian

If the co passenger is of your age and enjoys the speed then central console has positive use.

But when my father is my co passenger then I have to keep check on speed. Above 100 KMPH human warning buzzer comes into action; even from back seat.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:22   #252
Senior - BHPian

sushant - has your engine completed run it ???
Old 11th May 2009, 20:59   #253
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@vsh... the wheelbase of swift dzire and swift is exactly the same. There isnt much difference in the recline at the back as well. I am fixed how dzire is supposedly better here.
hi extreme
i am a new to cars and dont have much technical knowledge about them.
i just sat in backseat of both swift and dzire and found dzire a little more comfortable. thats what i felt and i went for it.
Old 12th May 2009, 11:31   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
sushant - has your engine completed run it ???
Yes uptill 4000 KMS I did not exceed speed above 100 KMPH and RPM not over than 3K. In first 1000 KMS I kept speed limit to 80KMPH and RPM not above than 2.5k. I think that should be sufficient for run in period.

I have completed 9700 KMS in my Vista in three and half months. Third service is due in few days.

But I am wondering what made you to ask this question.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 12th May 2009 at 11:41.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:51   #255
BHPian

Yesterday I had a chance to drive brand new Swift VDi. I felt something is missing from this New Swift. I am not sure but the experience was different compared to Swift which was one year old. I just had a feeling that Plastic Quality has been reduced. It was not having that upmarket look and feel. I am not sure about this. Lot of plastic cracks were coming from dashboard and doors. Can anybody confirm whether I am right or not?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks