Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 22:00   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Please read through post. I am not comparing two cars by specs. I am only sharing my experience. And to this logic, after fulfilling my exclusivity factor need why should I go for new car. The purpose has been completed.

If I would have bought any other vehicle which is in market quiet some time then I would have to look for your option.

What I am desiring from car (show off) is very small part of ownership.
right, i understand what you mean sir. but, this thread is about comparing the indica & swift.

but if i were in your place, i would buy the best car in the segment & forget about who peeps in my car & who does not. because basically i am more bothered about what i get in my car & not what others feel.
Old 26th May 2009, 00:45   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Honestly, I would not buy any car that comes with that crappy engine built by Fiat & Suzuki. For those harping about common rail diesels, they ought to go check out the engines Hyundai is dishing out in the same price range. Oh! Before everyone gets on my throat, I own a diesel swift and I HATE IT for two reasons. Crappy engine & crappy build quality. I wish I had picked up a Getz Crdi instead.

All those vouching for the swift for its looks, the Palio for the passion & emotion its built with, the Indica for its space etc have either not TD the getz or are plain anti-korean. Or are just blinded by their love towards a brand.
This is the first time that I am hearing someone say that 1.3 Multijet is crappy engine. Even the european press needs a reality check according to you? Its not as electric as the 1.5 CRDi in Getz but thats not the reason enough to say that its crappy. Going by the same logic, anyone who buys the Verna should instead for for the Optra and say the 1.5 CRDi is crappy.
The fact is they are not in the same price range... Getz is a lot more expensive.
Old 26th May 2009, 00:56   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
This is the first time that I am hearing someone say that 1.3 Multijet is crappy engine. Even the european press needs a reality check according to you? Its not as electric as the 1.5 CRDi in Getz but thats not the reason enough to say that its crappy. Going by the same logic, anyone who buys the Verna should instead for for the Optra and say the 1.5 CRDi is crappy.
The fact is they are not in the same price range... Getz is a lot more expensive.
Absolutely spot on. And if such a logic had prevailed we would had seen more palio 1.6s than the swift petrol. Heck, its even priced below the swift petrol. Engine and outright power does not alone make a car better.
Getz has a stonking diesel but then it lacks the sporty suspension setup of the swift. Also it looks quite bland. Anyways, point is outright power does not necessarily mean a better car.
And even I have for the first time heard that the multijet from fiat is a crappy unit. But as it comes from an owner of swift D i shall definately believe that the owner has some concrete reasons for making such a statement.

edit-And yeah the vista top end model in white with gloss black roof and other bits truly looks neat and although the basic design is far from being dramatic and unlike the swift, its still quite fresh and I must admit it, due to that width and height the Indica turbo, swifts and other hatchbacks look puny in front of the vista.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 26th May 2009 at 00:59.
Old 26th May 2009, 06:50   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, I would not buy any car that comes with that crappy engine built by Fiat & Suzuki. For those harping about common rail diesels, they ought to go check out the engines Hyundai is dishing out in the same price range. Oh! Before everyone gets on my throat, I own a diesel swift and I HATE IT for two reasons. Crappy engine & crappy build quality. I wish I had picked up a Getz Crdi instead.

All those vouching for the swift for its looks, the Palio for the passion & emotion its built with, the Indica for its space etc have either not TD the getz or are plain anti-korean. Or are just blinded by their love towards a brand.
Multijet is not a bad engine by any account. Just because the Getz crdi provides a few more horses one cannot term the multijet crappy. To put it in perspective, I use a Core i7 based desktop in my office and its performance is far better than any Core2Duo based pc, but that does not make the Core2Duo processors crappy.
Old 26th May 2009, 07:09   #275
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Multijet is not a bad engine by any account. Just because the Getz crdi provides a few more horses one cannot term the multijet crappy.
Well, of course I agree with you but just wanted to correct that those few are close to 50% of the DDIS's horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
I use a Core i7 based desktop in my office and its performance is far better than any Core2Duo based pc, but that does not make the Core2Duo processors crappy.
Yeah, you better not call the Core2Duo crappy!

Last edited by SLK : 26th May 2009 at 07:21.
Old 26th May 2009, 09:21   #276
BHPian

I am just curious - How does a Getz CRDi handle in comparison to a Verna CRDi? I have heard some funny comparisons to boat, brick etc for a Verna. (Personally, I have driven a Verna CRDi once and was very happy with the power it produced - But I haven't tried it around corners - So, I cannot comment about handling.

Also, it appears to me that Getz also has a VGT like Verna - No other car (not just hatch) in sub 10L range has a VGT.

All said, I don't like the interiors of Getz though I find it extremely spacious - And, I am not a fan of its shape either.

I had a Swift VDi+ABS and I can more than vouch for the performance + peppy-ness of the engine. Brakes were crappy and the steering was not great though. (I've decided to go against full EPS because of Swift - I'll go for an electronically assisted hydraulic if not fully hydraulic steering in the future)

I am eager for mclaren to return and shed some light on the difference between the two engines.

We may fight and argue, but there is no denying that we return with a better perspective, and esp for novices like me, we learn!
Old 26th May 2009, 10:55   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Well, of course I agree with you but just wanted to correct that those few are close to 50% of the DDIS's horses.
Firstly I have to say that even though on paper Verna makes 110 bhp but it doesnt feel 35 bhp faster than the 1.3 Multijet. Secondly even though 1.3 Multijet has the capacity disadvantage and its non VGT it still outperforms the bigger 1.5 CRDi when it comes it in-gear performance.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:02   #278
BANNED

[quote=sriramv.iyer;1319984]I am just curious

Also, it appears to me that Getz also has a VGT like Verna - No other car (not just hatch) in sub 10L range has a VGT.

The Fiat Linea has a VGT and it starts at a very low price vis-a-vis the competition.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:05   #279
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Secondly even though 1.3 Multijet has the capacity disadvantage and its non VGT it still outperforms the bigger 1.5 CRDi when it comes it in-gear performance.
Thats an unfair comparison, Verna's gears are tall. And the turbo kicks in propably a little later than the DDIS. BUT when it does, it leaves the DDIS stranded.

I'm not from the school which calls DDIS crap, but calling a 110bhp [lets discount it to 100bhp] engine slower than a 75bhp with much less torque is like calling the 1.5CRDI crap.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:49   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, to have a fair comparison one must drive a car with a better engine.
And I thought to have a fair comparision you have to drive cars with similar engines.

I feel all the comparisions between 1.3L Fiat and 1.5L Hyundai engines are a little skewed. The comparo's are neither fair to the Fiat MJD nor to the Hyundai Crdi. Comparo's IMO should be:

- 1.3L MJD 75bhp to Hyundai's 1.4L 74bhp unit that's supposed to power the i20.

- 1.3L VGT 90bhp unit to Hyundai's 1.4L 88bhp unit.

- 1.5L 110bhp Hyundai Crdi unit to Fiat's 1.6L 118bhp unit.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:55   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I'm not from the school which calls DDIS crap, but calling a 110bhp [lets discount it to 100bhp] engine slower than a 75bhp with much less torque is like calling the 1.5CRDI crap.
Please dont take offence. I only said that its faster in-gear. Offcourse flat out performance is better with the 1.5 CRDi
Old 26th May 2009, 13:56   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
- 1.3L VGT 90bhp unit to Hyundai's 1.4L 88bhp unit.

- 1.5L 110bhp Hyundai Crdi unit to Fiat's 1.6L 118bhp unit.
Ditto.. and when it comes to the 1.6L Multijet diesel the Hyundai unit stands nowhere atleast on paper, 118 bhp and 320 nm of torque vis a vis 110 bhp and 235 nm.
Old 26th May 2009, 14:19   #283
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please dont take offence. I only said that its faster in-gear. Offcourse flat out performance is better with the 1.5 CRDi
of course, none taken.

I don't own either of the engines so doesn't matter anyways .

The FIAT 1.6 would be the one that'll come in SX4? - got to wait for this one.
Old 26th May 2009, 21:30   #284
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Sailing View Post
vsh:That's a lot of KM that you have clocked in such a short span of time Are you constantly on the RUN! What are the FE figures (For City / Highway run) that you are getting NOW? from your Dzire VDI, since its run up quite a bit. What was the FE when it was new i.e.before / after the 1st free service and likewise for the 2nd and 3rd as well?

regards
Smooth Sailing
smooth sailing--
yes, thats a lot within 4 months. as it is our first car and always one of my family member will be on the go and i just run between my two offices which are around 80km apart, hence so much in so less time.
FE- it was 15km mileage initially, and after second service around 18 and latest checked figure after third service is around 22, all with AC on.
after third service the handling is very smooth and i think i started enjoying the driving. otherwise it was bit of an exercise earlier. (i am just 5months old in driving)
Old 26th May 2009, 23:44   #285
BHPian

the things u've gotta explain

Quote:
hey mclaren1885, its simply not enough to "OWN" a car. Before calling it crappy, i think that first you should stop using spurious "dilli wala" spare parts, get it serviced atleast once every 10,000 km,clean the air filters, change the engine oil and the oil filters, charge the battery,fill those deflated tyres and last but not the least , STOP USING CHEAP ADULTERATED ROADSIDE FUEL !! .

Now coming back to the topic, even though the MJT comes in Vista, Palio and Swift DDIS, the keen observer would notice that all these cars produce different peak power outputs at hellava different RPMs. This is bcoz the engine may be licenced from FIAT, but the tuning and ECG mapping is entirely the manufacturer's forte`.Hence the sheer pleasure of driving the DDiS is simply not there in either the vista or the palio, even though all three have essentially the same oil burner. The sharp handling and nimble chassis of the swift is definately an added boon. As regards Getz CRDI , make no mistake, it is a road rocket, but only on a straight road. Put in some twisties and you will end up getting plastered on a bend. The verna is, as someone rightly put, a brick on wheels. A great engine spoilt by absolutely terrible vehicle dynamics. Put an iceberg in front of the "rocketing" Getz crdi, the Verna and the Titanic, and most likely all three will end up in the same place.

As regards the greatness of engines of hyundai, the huge 1.5L crdi with VGT makes about a 100horses. The 1.3 L MJT with its FGT (fixed geometry turbine) makes up 75 horses. However for your information, worldwide the MJT also has another version with VGT(variable geometry turbine) technology that makes 90 horses from only 1248 cc !! I read in some auto magazine that this is a very likely candidate for the future diesel SX4.

Most Viewed