Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2009, 16:49   #301
Senior - BHPian

Regarding comparison of FE between all the 1248cc cars, Swift will continue to lead because 1) less weight 2) Overdrive available in 4th gear. 3) Swift is not a passenger friendly car(rear), so it is mostly carries 1/2 passengers only. But my bit of worry is that, a diesel with a 1248cc engine? Now, with closer engine tolerances and bad fuel woes(India) what kind of engine life can you expect from these engines??
Old 19th June 2009, 16:53   #302
BANNED

!!!???

I am surprised there is no Grande Punto and Linea and etc etc in the Poll... Anyway I think it is GP!!
Old 19th June 2009, 17:46   #303
Senior - BHPian

this poll was started a year ago. Since, the ritz and the palio twins have joined the party. Would like to add them, but most folks have already voted, and it would be unfair to them, so decided against it
Old 19th June 2009, 17:55   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
this poll was started a year ago. Since, the ritz and the palio twins have joined the party. Would like to add them, but most folks have already voted, and it would be unfair to them, so decided against it
why not start another poll, now with healthy competition
Old 19th June 2009, 18:55   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Regarding comparison of FE between all the 1248cc cars, Swift will continue to lead because 1) less weight 2) Overdrive available in 4th gear. 3) Swift is not a passenger friendly car(rear), so it is mostly carries 1/2 passengers only. But my bit of worry is that, a diesel with a 1248cc engine? Now, with closer engine tolerances and bad fuel woes(India) what kind of engine life can you expect from these engines??

I would say Vista and GP will have FE advantage. Because long range 3rd Gear, Max torque at 1750 rpm. I own Vista and right from first day I get mileage more than 21.5 KMPL on highway and around 17 KMPL in Pune city.
My roommate owns swift DDiS which manages FE close to these figures but not more than this.

And one more fact Engine for GP/Palio and Vista is manufactured in the same plant of Tata - Fiat in Ranjangaon, Pune.
Old 18th July 2009, 00:29   #306
BHPian

[quote=DueLLeR;1343786]

(2) Engine & Ambient Temperature: I don't mean what the temperature needle is showing. I mean how hot the engine is externally. After driving in B2B traffic for about an hour, you can feel the heat radiate out merely by walking around the bonnet. The turbo kick in such a situation is weak to non existent. I have tried the 'time test' test, where I switch off the car for about five minutes and have a smoke. When I'm done, the kick is back! Hot, sultry, and sunny days have a negative effect on the perceived turbo kick. So, all in all, IMO, the intake air temperature causes the engine to behave differently.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes ! This is so true for other cars as well.....
. Have felt this on my NA indica ( non turbo ) and even on petrol accent and petrol indigo . When car is very hot the torque is a bit down. And if you happen to get into stretches of slow bumper to bumper , where the air cooling of the engine is further hampered , the car feels quite sluggish.
And i am talking of cars in very good mechanical state with good engines here.
Anyone has got any insightful theory on this ?
Old 18th July 2009, 06:32   #307
Senior - BHPian

highnoon, you can find more on that here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ndigo-tdi.html
Old 18th July 2009, 08:46   #308
Senior - BHPian

Vista, it is for me. So many have criticized the Indica and yet that has been my most able ally. I have test driven the Vista and for sure know the improvement in terms of quality and space. I would have liked the head space to be a little higher at the back, though. Or the seats a touch lower. I stand at 6' 2", so it is a minor hassle with my hair being ruffled.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:47   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
greenhorn[/b];1389667]highnoon, you can find more on that here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ndigo-tdi.html
Interesting !

BTW Greenhorn , is there any way one can make the turbo to pool in early?

You drive a DLG turbo , my reason for asking is given VGT on your 475 IDI , and assuming it completely changes the character of the engine , would you consider this engine with 50 k cheaper than the current quadrajet one in Vista?
I mean visualize a TDI VISTA with a modified turbo, a engine with low cost spares , more protection against bad fuel, but with lot more grunt up early for B2B trafffic. The car was quite good on the highway anyway.Now it finds relief from one of its most irritating shortcoming ....so what do you think ?
regds,
kedar

P.S. mY WIFE LOVES THE ACCENT. THE RIDE QUALITY is good , but with my disc prolapse , i find getting in and out from the low position to cumbersome. Vista rides well , the AQUA TDI with pune reg. fits my budget. Cant stretch any more to quadrajet vista/ GP/ PALIO. Swift cabin is too tight. space is concern plus its almost 1.18 lacs plus which i simply cant afford. Ritz looks obcene (IMO ) plus the price issue again. Was thinking to go for the TDI and then may couple of years down the lane go for mild uprating if its viable.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 20th July 2009 at 19:53.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:57   #310
Senior - BHPian

highnoon, to get a turbo to spool earlier , you'll need either a smaller turbo (and compromise on max boost) or a VGT ( and increase cost).

Both my indica turbo and the vista TDI have an ordinary turbo, not the VGT one .

Modifying the turbo characteristics will mean that you will have to get your ECU remapped as well.
the VGT is present on the dicor indica /indigos, but that has all the fuel sensitivities as the QJD as it is a DI engine.

a VGT IDI engine has not been made by tata unfortunately. And even if you could put one together, like i said earlier, there is the matter of the ECU.
Old 20th July 2009, 20:09   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
I own a Palio MJD and I find the enginer utterly reliable, extremely fuel efficient (21KMPL in city) and I can touch 140KMPH without a heart attack and I do not even CARE to drive over 120KMPH consistently, 80 is good enough for me.
ahem... not interrupting in the debate between you & mclaren, but i find this thing (the statement marked in bold) a bit hard to digest. is that under "STANDARD TEST CONDITIONS"?
Old 20th July 2009, 20:28   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
ahem... not interrupting in the debate between you & mclaren, but i find this thing (the statement marked in bold) a bit hard to digest. is that under "STANDARD TEST CONDITIONS"?
No, not at all. These are real on-road figures for 100% city driving from PCMC to Vimannagar in Pune via the notorious Khadki Bazaar (where reaching for your gear stick to go anywhere above 2nd gear is a crime punishable by a bent bumper or two). I actually have been following my mileage very minutely and I actually have an excel sheet with all my fuel-ups, dates, odometer reading, calculated mileage etc. I have an average of around 20KMPL and I get 21 if the traffic is slightly better. My highest has been 22KMPL.
Old 20th July 2009, 20:40   #313
BHPian

[quote=greenhorn;1393010]

Ok. Maybe i'll look at a petrol Vista or Terra QJD. or even a wagoN R DUO. Cant think of anything withing the budget which fits the requirements. The funny thing is everytime i start looking at cars ,i end up looking at a TATA. For the budget and the space.
any ideas how to break the pattern ?
Old 20th July 2009, 22:12   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
any ideas how to break the pattern ?
stop looking for VFM cars

one more thing. the dicor and the tdi have different ECU's as well, with the dicor's being more complex

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th July 2009 at 22:26.
Old 20th July 2009, 22:27   #315
BHPian

wish i could....
or maybe could look at a used car for a couple of years ...
and then look for another VFM CAR

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks